Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Totally Outstanding - Love It!
By Jsparks

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car is the best I have ever owned. The Tiptronic is a really sweet option and the rain-sensing wipers are awesome...especially here in Seattle!! The drive is smooth and you can feel the tires grip the road. Driving in the rain on wet pavement with the ESP is like driving on dry pavement. I would recommend this car to everyone that wants a high-end quality vehicle for an affordable price!

Rain sensing wipers, XM radio, tiptronic transmission, seat warmers...and the new 2005 1/2 style provide ample room for adults in the back seat!

None to note...this car rocks!

Great Car for a Teen
By JettaGirl

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm 17 years old and my dad bought me a 2005 Jetta in January. It is so great for me, it has great gas mileage and I can count on it since it is brand new right off the lot. The styling is really trendy and hip ecpecially in the galatic blue (like mine). The new redesigned Jettas are really luxurious inside, but the exterior styling is not that great.

The sunroof, Monsoon sound system with no rattles.

Wouldn't Drive Anything Else
By Troy Bailey

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Having looked at several cars I kept coming back to the Volkswagen Jetta 2.5. I looked at the Saab 9-3, Subaru Legacy, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and all may have had more power; what they lacked was a personality and features that the Jetta has. I get more compliments on this car than anyother car I have owned. People stop me at the gas station and don't believe what kind of VW it is. I consider it a baby Phaeton! This is the seventh car that I have owned and it is far superior to any of the rest.

I love to sound of the 5-cylinder engine. Its gas mileage is exceding EPA estimates. It has great climate control, heated seats, stereo, and comfort.

The trunk lighting should be better, but honestly does that matter? I find it a perfect car and a great alternative to other European cars. So it doesn't have a Mercedes, Saab, or BMW name, but what it does have is luxury the others can't come close to. Thanks VW!

Noises and Rattles
By Stan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had my VW Jetta for three months. It makes a horrible noise when starting (after sitting several hours), dealer says its normal :(... (secondary air pump?). Have also had several dash rattles and speaker noise. Dealer ordered repair kit for speakers, but there is no fix possible for engine noise (sounds like a diesel when first starts). I am a first and probably a last timw VW owner.

I love the looks of the car, and lots of cool features.

Need to redesign the secondary air pump so it does not make loud noise at start up. repair squeaks/rattles in dash. Lastly, It would be nice to have some place to rest left arm during long drives, currently there is not one, uncomfortable on long rides.

Awesome new Jetta, wish gas was cheaper
By Irene

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

First time buyer of a VW or any German car, and I must say that the reputation of the performance and handling of the new Jetta stands strong. The car is very sturdy on freeways, the tiptronic kicks in smoothly when accelerating between speeds for that extra oomph of power and you hardly know when you are going over 70 mph. Handles superb turning and lane changes. I've never been issued a speeding ticket before, but I just might now! Love the color (got the Graphite Blue). Great, modern interior and exterior look, LOVE the new chrome grill, super speakers, moonroof. Just wish that the fuel efficiency was better - I've been filling up about $35/week which is a dent...but decent.

Highly recommend the Package #1. Adjustable seats (half electronic, half-manual), love the 16" alloy wheels, moon roof (which has 2 variations of opening), 6-CD changer. Nice "leather" look, easy to maintain. Tiptronic transmission. Cool dual-zone climate control and lockable trunk option.

I'm more frugal after being a Corolla owner for so long, so I wish it had better gas mileage. But the TDI isn't out here, so I would recommend getting that if you can (which I heard gets up to 50 mph on diesel).