Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Wouldn't Drive Anything Else
By Troy Bailey

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Having looked at several cars I kept coming back to the Volkswagen Jetta 2.5. I looked at the Saab 9-3, Subaru Legacy, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and all may have had more power; what they lacked was a personality and features that the Jetta has. I get more compliments on this car than anyother car I have owned. People stop me at the gas station and don't believe what kind of VW it is. I consider it a baby Phaeton! This is the seventh car that I have owned and it is far superior to any of the rest.

I love to sound of the 5-cylinder engine. Its gas mileage is exceding EPA estimates. It has great climate control, heated seats, stereo, and comfort.

The trunk lighting should be better, but honestly does that matter? I find it a perfect car and a great alternative to other European cars. So it doesn't have a Mercedes, Saab, or BMW name, but what it does have is luxury the others can't come close to. Thanks VW!

Noises and Rattles
By Stan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had my VW Jetta for three months. It makes a horrible noise when starting (after sitting several hours), dealer says its normal :(... (secondary air pump?). Have also had several dash rattles and speaker noise. Dealer ordered repair kit for speakers, but there is no fix possible for engine noise (sounds like a diesel when first starts). I am a first and probably a last timw VW owner.

I love the looks of the car, and lots of cool features.

Need to redesign the secondary air pump so it does not make loud noise at start up. repair squeaks/rattles in dash. Lastly, It would be nice to have some place to rest left arm during long drives, currently there is not one, uncomfortable on long rides.

Awesome new Jetta, wish gas was cheaper
By Irene

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

First time buyer of a VW or any German car, and I must say that the reputation of the performance and handling of the new Jetta stands strong. The car is very sturdy on freeways, the tiptronic kicks in smoothly when accelerating between speeds for that extra oomph of power and you hardly know when you are going over 70 mph. Handles superb turning and lane changes. I've never been issued a speeding ticket before, but I just might now! Love the color (got the Graphite Blue). Great, modern interior and exterior look, LOVE the new chrome grill, super speakers, moonroof. Just wish that the fuel efficiency was better - I've been filling up about $35/week which is a dent...but decent.

Highly recommend the Package #1. Adjustable seats (half electronic, half-manual), love the 16" alloy wheels, moon roof (which has 2 variations of opening), 6-CD changer. Nice "leather" look, easy to maintain. Tiptronic transmission. Cool dual-zone climate control and lockable trunk option.

I'm more frugal after being a Corolla owner for so long, so I wish it had better gas mileage. But the TDI isn't out here, so I would recommend getting that if you can (which I heard gets up to 50 mph on diesel).

2005 Jetta TDI
By john rollins

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I am happy with the 42 mpg average on my 80 mile daily commute, averaging highway speeds of 65 to 79.999 mph. My car passes everything including the gas pumps. I'm saving about $2,500 a year on fuel driving this car. In nine years if fuel is still $2.79 per gallon the car was free. 2005 TDI GLS, leather, 5 speed, moonroof, monsoon was less than $22,000, free after 9 years of fuel savings. That's a discount program.

speed, fuel economy, ride, and handling.

Even better gas mileage. More attention to detail on interior and exterior during manufaturing and assembly.

I love my Jetta
By U Hansen

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love this car. I handles great. Fuel consumption is reasonable. It is an excellent city car, but also good on the highway. I have had four Jettas, and this is by far the best.

The seat has excellent back support trip computer excellent climate control (it's needed in San Antonio, TX)

None right now.