2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Solid Feel, Fun & Stingy on the Fuel
By qazman on 04/09/05 16:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased the 5 speed GLS TDI wagon after loads of research on reliability, durability and fuel economy. I wanted the wagon for extra cargo, plants, mulch bags, etc. A "compact" wagon, has design compromises, like back seat leg room. The Passat wagon is larger, but I like a small wagon. This little guy is made in Germany & it shows in fit & finish, saftey, performance and diesel technology. I'm having loads of fun driving it. It looks like a SUV, not as tall. So far, not a single defect. The exterior and interior are flawless & the ride is super: handles bumps great, rides quiet and super solid. I think VW only sells 3% TDI's. Best kept secret on the road!!

Love This Car
By Deb on 04/05/05 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've never had so much fun driving a car. It is awesome. I wasn't excited about getting a Jetta but when the salesman convinced me to test drive it at the dealership I fell in love. We also own an audi A-4 quattro and the turbo jetta's performance is better. I've had no problems other than the rear brakes squeaking when I back up sometimes.

Yes, Almost Grown UP
By Mary on 04/04/05 16:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned VW's for the past 36 years (Bug, Rabbit, Jetta, Passats, 11 all told) and the NEW 2.5l, 5 cyclinder is the most fun yet. Had the GLX-Jetta five years previously and the 2.5 has many more accutrements and handles better.

One of the best cars to own!
By Raynmann on 04/04/05 12:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This car is the second of my 2 volkswagen Jetta TDI wagons. I have had no problems with this car so far and expect none. This car comes with a 12 year no rust through guarantee. In MN that is huge!! It means no need to buy another vehicle due to having a rust bucket. The diesel engine will run at least 10 years at the annual mileage before having significant maintenance. VW is approving the use of Biodiesel in their engines, so I can have a more environment friendly automobile.

The new Jetta is AMAZING
By VW Aficionado on 03/27/05 21:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great job VW on the new 2005.5 Jetta! An amazing, bigger and better car than the last! My 5th VW and by far the best. No more premium gas for the 1.8T! Under the hood the new Jetta have the 2.5 liter inline 5 cylinder engine that takes regular gas and produces 150 hp and 170 lbs of torque is just enough for just about anyone. Any VW lover notices many new and different looks to it but its just a preview for the future of Volkswagen. Drivers Wanted!

Excellent Car
By Andy on 03/27/05 07:23 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

After driving around a '98 Camry (smooth ride) it took a while for me to adjust to the 2005 Jetta which is stiffer - but more fun to drive. The car handles really well. You can feel the turbo kick in around 2,000 and the powerband keeps up until about 2,700. The interior quality is nicer then all the small cars I've been in (Civic, Corolla, Focus) and the layout is straightforward. I currently live in Germany (although the car is American spec, bought in the U.S.) and the car handles very well on the autobahn at speeds of 90 - 110 mph. 90 mph = 3,000rpm. Sharp looking car!

New Jetta is a keeper
By Q on 03/25/05 22:46 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just got a new Jetta and the ride and performance of the car are in my opinion better than the Volvo S40. The interior is well designed and spacious for a small car. I love that 6 speed automatic with triptronic and sport shift.

Great performance, zero reliability
By yoli on 03/23/05 21:42 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love it and hate it. Just name a few problems fixed on my Jetta 2002: - First week of ownership, rear passenger door couldn’t open because cable fell down inside the door panel. - One piece radio got replaced three times. - Ignition coils replaced at four times. - Windshield wrapper loosened, ridiculous. - Now the front brake squeaks, I was told that there is no way to fix unless change the whole brake pads, disks, etc, I can’t believe that. …

It is good for the money
By max becker on 03/22/05 09:59 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It always starts, the TDI is great for mileage. The handling is good for a car that is not a performance car.

AutoBahn quality
By Johnny on 03/22/05 00:51 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Very satisfied and wild on the car. Almost like sports luxury when you drive it. Needs a bit more performance but has alot of potential and style.