2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
VW Hetta TDI Wagon
By Got Gas? on 06/14/06 23:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My experience with the TDI has been very positive. It has excellent fit and finish, no rattles at all. All of its equipment works flawlessly. I am getting a consistant 46 mpg with this diesel car.

Needs Prius Style MPG guage
By wiring-geek on 05/28/06 09:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The Jetta TDI is a great car. My family needs booted me out of my beloved compact pickup, but this is a worthy replacement. If you're hauling children only in back, definitely remove and store the rear head rests...at least remove the middle (of three) for better vision when backing up.

Never a Regret
By Missouri Lady on 05/20/06 20:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive 86 miles round trip to my job. I get an average of 48 miles per gallon on diesel. I was driving a 4 wheel drive, half ton truck which only got 14 miles per gallon. I live in St. Louis and the temperatures can be very cold. My Jetta is very reliable and fun to drive. I love it! I will buy another Jetta TDI. Thanks Volkswagen.

Diesel all the way
By tiddywag on 05/11/06 13:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is a great car to own. Admittedly, it's not too fast, but it gets the job done. It has good low RPM power and unbelievable fuel economy. My best has been 50.64 MPG so far, that was with 85% highway driving. Be sure to set the cruise control fairly conservatively for best results and constantly monitor your tire pressure.

Commendable Vehicle
By steve on 03/01/06 14:24 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 VW Jetta TDI is very fun and predictable to drive. All of its systems function fine. Its gas mileage was fairly close to 50 mpg on my first trip from St. Louis MO to Las Vegas NV.

Unreliable Lemon! VW won't replace!
By Alisha on 02/27/06 12:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

For some buying a VW is great but it has been the worst experience ever for me. This is my first new car and it has broken down four times in six months. The worst part is that VW doesn't know what is wrong. The last time it was in, they just kept replacing things until the code went away. The problem is that the car will work fine, then when you stop and try to go, it won't go anywhere. You give it gas but it acts like it is in neutral. This has happened in the middle of intersections almost causing us to wreck. I told VW and the dealer this, they said they won't replace my car. The VW Customer Care line lacks care and contradicts itself. VW doesn't know how to repair their cars. Note to consumers, read the lemon law carefully!

Great Car
By Doug on 02/27/06 09:13 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is lots of fun to drive, especially past all of the fueling stations. I have averaged 43.5 mpg since I purchased my car. My high hileage is 52.5 low mileage is 38.6. This car has a solid build and feels safe at any speed.

2005 VW Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
By joshdkatz on 01/09/06 16:52 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

First of all, my fuel economy is awesome. I have been getting upwards of 40 mpg in combined highway / city driving. It is generally very fun to drive. It has a very smooth and forgiving clutch and shifter. It has good pickup and can go pretty fast. I've had a few problems though. My window on my driver's side fell off the track and needed to be put back on. Thankfully it was covered under warranty. Now, I am developing some trouble with my speakers. But generally, this car is pretty nice.

More than pleased with my New Jetta TDI
By Yves Blanchet on 12/05/05 14:34 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I love to drive my Volkswagen Jetta TDI. It is quiet, yet we can feel the road. The interior is beautiful and practical and uses only quality materials. The trip computer is a real pleasure. I liked my previous car which was a Mercedes-Benz C240, however this Jetta TDI takes the crown. I do not know why I would pay more when I have it all with this Jetta at $24,000. I have driven it over 7,000 miles in five months and my average fuel economy is 49.6 mpg so far (yes almost fifty!).

2005 Jetta TDI
By john rollins on 09/08/05 03:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I am happy with the 42 mpg average on my 80 mile daily commute, averaging highway speeds of 65 to 79.999 mph. My car passes everything including the gas pumps. I'm saving about $2,500 a year on fuel driving this car. In nine years if fuel is still $2.79 per gallon the car was free. 2005 TDI GLS, leather, 5 speed, moonroof, monsoon was less than $22,000, free after 9 years of fuel savings. That's a discount program.