Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside
By eder_cheddar

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I got my car used with 62k miles on it. As soon as I got it, the car kept breaking down on me time after time. Maybe I got a lemon, who knows. I had a tiny piece of plastic connecting my inter coolant break on me that crippled my car and was a $3 piece of plastic I got at O'Reilly's. It's terrible that you don't have the transmission oil easily accessible. You have to take it to a mechanic to get lifted so they can access it. My favorite/current issue is the transmission that crapped out on me 3 times. I currently have had the car for 72K miles and it's ridiculous to have this occur so soon.

Exterior looks great and unique.

Fix interior mechanics.

Great car, but high maintenance
By cl002004

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 8 years now. I'm not really a car enthusiast, just need something to comfortably take me from point a to point b without any issues. It does exactly what I need it to do most of the time. The only thing is that unexpectedly random things will go wrong with it. In the past 8 years, power steering broke, oil leaked, trunk door got stuck, and my favorite, the ignition lock(?) broke so that my key would not go in the ignition. Very costly to get these issues fixed, on top of high regular maintenance costs. Replacing the ignition lock cost $700 + towing expenses.

Frustrated beyond belief
By frustrated77

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble. Wiring issues, now transmission hard shifts. Problem is extremely common via Google search. VW dealership just says needs new transmission and denies knowing anything about it, though there has even been at least one attempted class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY!!!

Looked like a cute car...very disappointed.

7 years and counting
By walter67

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

1st owner of my 2005 Jetta Diesel, have station wagon auto trans. Travel from North East to Florida each year, so it has avoided winter salty roads. I've replace the timing belt at 85,000 miles to be on safe side. Will need new rubber on my struts both normal ware. Still have original brake pads at 90,000 miles at every oil change I expect to be told its time to change so far not yet. Fuel economy.... average 34 to 39 miles per gallon I can get 42 miles on a gallon if I drive at my RPM sweet spot which is 38 to 41 miles an hour, at that speed you will get the 42 per gallon. Would I buy this vehicle again YOU BETCHA I would. Paid $21,5000 in Jan of 20005

cargo space, good body against rust havn't any yet. Dependable and like the safety ratings and fuel economy

windshield should be a little higher so I can see those lights that are strung across the road. Also should be higher off the road so you don't touch bottom going into a driveway, Believe they already did that for the new models.

Jetta problems
By jettanomore05

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new. This car has the worst paint job I have ever had. The front of the car seems to have many little dots of paint missing. Now I have a history of driving many cars in my youth on gravel roads but never with this car. I cannot account for this problem. I had to have something replaced in the transmission early on due to horrible thud sound. It still does this at times but they cannot find reason. THe car has been carefully maintained but I just had to replace water pump, tensioners, thermastat, and because of this timing belt was also recommended. Total cost was over $1,050.00. Car has only 59,000 miles on it and is gently driven.

It has the best radio I have ever had in any of the many cars my dad and I have owned. It has a good ride and reasonable mileage

Reliability, reliability, reliability! And how about a better paint job. I have never experienced the car problems described above in any of my dads several cars nor in the three Fords, two Chevys, two Mazdas, one Chrysler, and one Honda that I have owned. I have noticed that water pump problems are mentioned in several of the other reviews of this car. One reader mentioned VW uses a plastic impeller on the pump instead of metal or whatever better cars have. I was informed that this impeller was broken on my car as well. Several people inquired as to whether there were recalls about this common problem but apparently that is not the case. I will stick to Honda, Toyota, or Subaru.

• SUV