Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Frustrated beyond belief
By frustrated77

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble. Wiring issues, now transmission hard shifts. Problem is extremely common via Google search. VW dealership just says needs new transmission and denies knowing anything about it, though there has even been at least one attempted class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY!!!

Looked like a cute car...very disappointed.

7 years and counting
By walter67

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

1st owner of my 2005 Jetta Diesel, have station wagon auto trans. Travel from North East to Florida each year, so it has avoided winter salty roads. I've replace the timing belt at 85,000 miles to be on safe side. Will need new rubber on my struts both normal ware. Still have original brake pads at 90,000 miles at every oil change I expect to be told its time to change so far not yet. Fuel economy.... average 34 to 39 miles per gallon I can get 42 miles on a gallon if I drive at my RPM sweet spot which is 38 to 41 miles an hour, at that speed you will get the 42 per gallon. Would I buy this vehicle again YOU BETCHA I would. Paid $21,5000 in Jan of 20005

cargo space, good body against rust havn't any yet. Dependable and like the safety ratings and fuel economy

windshield should be a little higher so I can see those lights that are strung across the road. Also should be higher off the road so you don't touch bottom going into a driveway, Believe they already did that for the new models.

Jetta problems
By jettanomore05

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new. This car has the worst paint job I have ever had. The front of the car seems to have many little dots of paint missing. Now I have a history of driving many cars in my youth on gravel roads but never with this car. I cannot account for this problem. I had to have something replaced in the transmission early on due to horrible thud sound. It still does this at times but they cannot find reason. THe car has been carefully maintained but I just had to replace water pump, tensioners, thermastat, and because of this timing belt was also recommended. Total cost was over $1,050.00. Car has only 59,000 miles on it and is gently driven.

It has the best radio I have ever had in any of the many cars my dad and I have owned. It has a good ride and reasonable mileage

Reliability, reliability, reliability! And how about a better paint job. I have never experienced the car problems described above in any of my dads several cars nor in the three Fords, two Chevys, two Mazdas, one Chrysler, and one Honda that I have owned. I have noticed that water pump problems are mentioned in several of the other reviews of this car. One reader mentioned VW uses a plastic impeller on the pump instead of metal or whatever better cars have. I was informed that this impeller was broken on my car as well. Several people inquired as to whether there were recalls about this common problem but apparently that is not the case. I will stick to Honda, Toyota, or Subaru.

05 jetta in the desert
By joshkellerpa

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own an 05 VW jetta GL and a 05 vw bug. I dont know about later years or earlyer. But on my 05 jetta the crank pully has snaped off on its own. We have had to replace the water pump EVERY SUMMER.(hot weather area). I have gotten it replaced at a VW dealership for the majority. Now why did they never recomend to get the metal impeler? Why hasnt this model of water pump been recalled? We have gotten our engine rebuilt 2 times for a grand total of $10,000+. 1 of these engines was rebuilt at a VW dealershit. THEY LEFT SOME KIND OF AIR PUMP ON MY ENGINE. told me to bad thats were it goes. the second time by beatle barn las vegas and they gave me my car back in worse condition then b4 it blew.

VW makes a bunch of poorly enginered cars and aparently wants there to be parts that break long b4 they should.

(jetta) Recall the entire car it is very poorly designed, and very poorly built. They have plastic part in crucial areas that are exsposed to extreme heat and melt and break. VW bug hasa been entirely replaced 1 time. Transsmision rebuilt 1 time. and engine rebuilt 1 time.

Decent investment
By michman247

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, 2.0l, 5 speed manual, with under 95k miles. So far I haven't had any problems and it runs great. Overall, the exterior and interior are fine, nothing to brag about although it is a little snug in the back. The car handles well, the power is what you'd expect out of a 4 cylinder, 1st gear is almost worthless. As far as maintenance is concerned, I can do most of the basics easily but the more advanced fixes are not cheap. If you can find one that had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and etc changed recently then you'll save yourself a couple hundred dollars. If I had the choice again, I'd probably purchase another VW.