2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews 2

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Never again!!!
By lslb40 on 08/23/11 05:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my 2005 2.5L for 3 years now. I have had to replace the timing chain and tensioners once already. 4 months later I had to replace the tensioners again. Thank god my Husband works on VW's cause if you take it to a VW dealer to get fixed your looking at a $2,500 job and that's on the low side. Now my car has an intermittent starting problem which after days and days of research I see that this has been a big problem for this car and several other VW car's. I have talked to a VW mechanic from a local VW dealer and he has said to get rid of the car, especially the 2.5L. He has been a VW mechanic for 35 years. Needless to say. I will never buy a VW again.

Never Again
By douglas23 on 07/05/11 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2005 2.5 liter with 68k miles and suffered a catastrophic engine failure. What a piece of junk! And no help from Volkwagen America. What a crappy company.........

Love Hate Relationship
By marson on 05/16/11 14:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have loved my Jetta since I bought it but it seems like too much is going wrong to make it worth keeping. I have had to replace almost 10 sensors on it, adjusters are breaking, and check engine codes are flying out of it like crazy. In the last month I have had to put close to 2,000 into the motor because of problems and there is only 90,000 miles on it. I take very good care of my cars and I have never had to go through this much of a headache with a car. I would never buy a VW again and if I could go back I would buy anything else.

Jetta GLI 2005 1.8 Turbo 20 Valves engine
By ismael_1966 on 02/23/11 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car from new. Have some problems thats was cover by warranty and others that not since the car does not have warranty any more. The car has around 90,000 kms. Since new the car gave me a lot of problems with the windows falling inside the doors. Plagued with Door Locks problems. Radiator fans damage, the fuse box on top of the battery got damage. Brake light switch has damage two times. The engines has some problem to start in the morning, coolant temperature sensor has been replaced 3 times. Rear brakes make awfull noise 1n reverse. The car spend more time in the mechanic than with me. If you get a VW, sell it as soon as the warranty is finish or you will go broke!

nice car but probably not again
By bnienhau on 12/27/10 17:51 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought the new 2005 Jetta with the 2006 body style. I bought it new with about 32000 miles and within about 20000 miles I had to to take in for a tranny problem. good thing it was under warranty. I havent had any more problems except for the interior. Raido is peeling and the handles black paint is peeling. The cosmetic issues inside are garbage but all in all a good car if that is not a conern. I have 2 years left on my loan so I hope it lasts cince it now has 100000 miles on it. Will the car last. Any suggestions on making it last are welcome.

Expensive Fix
By SD on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The first 5 years I had the Jetta I absolutely loved it. Performed all routine maintenance as recommended and had no issues other than normal wear & tear (tires & brakes). Hit 90,000 miles and problems have not stopped. Exhaust check engine light came on, $1000 to fix vent fans for engine. Didn't do service and two weeks later check engine light went off and problem ceased. 1 month later airbag fault light came on, trunk won't lock and opens when I am driving! Passanger side window will not roll up, stuck about 6 inches down. Appear to be all electrical issues but fix is very expensive.

Love this car! Will not be my last VW!!
By Laurie on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bout this car from a private party, July 2010. It is NOT the tdi, the 1.8l. I am 20 years old, so you can imagine how I drive my car. Fiance and I are both active firefighters, this car goes through it all. I drive it to work and college every day, also on shopping trips over 100 miles away. Car runs wonderfully, you can't even hear it running. I did hit a deer, was very impressed with the durability of the car. The driver door held up beautifully, and the window shattered just like it was supposed to. There are no problems with anything on this car, must say it is the best investment I have made. I will be buying another VW, just not the turbo diesel! Too many problems with those.

Great Car
By Bellyman on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Ive had this car for 4 years and it blew a turbo at 80 000 km and the dc bus to the glow plugs at 90 km but it was all covered by vws excellent warranty and i havent had any problems since and i have 225 000 km on it now, would definately buy another.Great in the snow and of course mileage is unbeatable.

My best car yet
By dab on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My 05 TDI has 112000 miles. I purchased it new. It gets up to 60 mpg but averages 45 mpg. I'm 6', 250 and find it very comfortable and fun to drive. Maintenance is expensive but I never had any major problems. I also had a 04 Passat TDI but only got 30-32 mpg. Would love to have another Jetta TDI like mine.

Don't Do it! Repair shop special!
By Scott on 06/06/10 08:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive when it is not in the repair shop! I have replaced headlights, taillights, an airbag wire harness, radiator fan, trunk latch, ignition key tumbler, the paint on the interior peels, and I have had recall services done. I implore you, even with the warranty this vehicle is not the one! You will be on a first name basis with the auto techs at VW! They are very nice but I would prefer to be on the road and not at the shop!