Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Stay Away
By John

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2.5 Jetta is the tenth VW we've owned in fifteen years. It is junk. The transmission skips, it will not engage in drive or reverse properly, and there is a dangerous lapse when taking off from a slow down. The rain sensor wipers are terrible. They sometimes wipe when the windshield is dry or won't wipe at all in a downpour. On continuous wipe they go into intermittent (this car does not have it). The climatronic is screwed up. The a/c comes on by itself when temp is set at 70 and it won't turn off. I have been to two dealers and VW service cannot fix anything. The VW area rep has refused to do anymore warranty service. I am filing lemon law and VW is fighting it. I will never buy VW again.

None at this point.

Never buy another VW.

Terrible Car - Will Never Buy One Again
By Della

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 the first day it was available in Texas - Huge mistake! My car has been in the shop 5 times in 9 months, and the worst thing about it is that I am still having problems. The sunroof has broken twice. The speakers rattle terribly! They have already been fixed once, but I still have the problem. There is a clicking in the dashboard that they supposively fixed (still there). It is an automatic, but I can feel my transmission stick as it goes from gear to gear. The clock doesn't keep accurate time. They were unable to fix either of these problems. When I start the car, it is extremely loud! I am a first time VW buyer, and I can guarantee that I will never buy another!

I like the 6 CD disk changer and the look of the interior.

Everything I mentioned above. Too many problems!

2005 VW Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
By joshdkatz

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

First of all, my fuel economy is awesome. I have been getting upwards of 40 mpg in combined highway / city driving. It is generally very fun to drive. It has a very smooth and forgiving clutch and shifter. It has good pickup and can go pretty fast. I've had a few problems though. My window on my driver's side fell off the track and needed to be put back on. Thankfully it was covered under warranty. Now, I am developing some trouble with my speakers. But generally, this car is pretty nice.

I like the great gas economy, looks, pick up, and safety features.

It needs a better speaker system, more room in the back seat, and a smaller antenna.

I Love It!
By tfs

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the seventh VW I have owned in my life and it has been the best handling, and most fun to drive of the lot of them. The seat, 6 speed gear box and 18" tires make it a blast to drive in the tight twisty country roads here in Wisconsin. I did get a second set of tires for the long winter months here and it still handles the road fine.

The six speed transmission and the performance 18" tires make this a great handling car.

The stereo could use more power and deeper bass. I'd like to have heated seats and the rear leg room is very limited.

Lovin the Wagon
By dmill

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon is fun to drive and comfortable. I have not had any problems with it. Its smooth ride is excellent on long trips.

The stereo and the fact that everything is within easy reach.

No improvements needed :)

• SUV