Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2005 VW Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
By joshdkatz

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

First of all, my fuel economy is awesome. I have been getting upwards of 40 mpg in combined highway / city driving. It is generally very fun to drive. It has a very smooth and forgiving clutch and shifter. It has good pickup and can go pretty fast. I've had a few problems though. My window on my driver's side fell off the track and needed to be put back on. Thankfully it was covered under warranty. Now, I am developing some trouble with my speakers. But generally, this car is pretty nice.

Favorite Features

I like the great gas economy, looks, pick up, and safety features.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a better speaker system, more room in the back seat, and a smaller antenna.

I Love It!
By tfs

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the seventh VW I have owned in my life and it has been the best handling, and most fun to drive of the lot of them. The seat, 6 speed gear box and 18" tires make it a blast to drive in the tight twisty country roads here in Wisconsin. I did get a second set of tires for the long winter months here and it still handles the road fine.

Favorite Features

The six speed transmission and the performance 18" tires make this a great handling car.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo could use more power and deeper bass. I'd like to have heated seats and the rear leg room is very limited.

Lovin the Wagon
By dmill

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon is fun to drive and comfortable. I have not had any problems with it. Its smooth ride is excellent on long trips.

Favorite Features

The stereo and the fact that everything is within easy reach.

Suggested Improvements

No improvements needed :)

My Third Jetta
By bonnie

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I just traded in my Jetta for the new 2005 Jetta. I love this car! I have owned a 2000 TDI and a 2005 Jetta. What an upgrade from the previous vehicles.

Favorite Features

The heated seats and CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

There is always room for better fuel efficiency.

Wolfs (berg) in Lamb's Clothing
By A. Graham

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

With 50+ years of snow country driving, mostly in FWD Saabs, I find the combination of traction and stability control amazing. I'll take it over any SUV - usually out run 'em anyway, especially when the road gets twisty. It can carry an impressive load and get 30 mpg on cruise at 74.5 mph (by GPS) on mid-grade fuel. Clearly, this is car built for the autobahn as well as the Alps. This is my 4th since '97 and nothing has broken yet - equals great value for the money.

Favorite Features

I love the overall feel of the car - tight and agile. It has good ergonomics, space utilization and interior lighting. Its excellent seats support well for hours on end. Its small overall foot print and tight turning radius make it a great urban car. I like the crash test results.

Suggested Improvements

The heater takes twice as long to warm up as the one in my '95 Golf. The doors can freeze shut if the car is dripped on. I'd like the fuses in the engine bay where they can be easily changed instead of under the dash. The high beam top cutoff can be pretty hairy when heading into a dip - can't see up the other side.