Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I love my Jetta
By VW Mamma

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have always loved VW's. So when I was in the market for another car and this slightly used one came up for sale, I jumped at the chance to own another VW! My first car was a 1980 VW Rabbit. My mother owed a 1984 GTI Wolfsburg, I learned how to drive a stick on that one. We ran these cars until they just gave out. I've owned other cars but NOTHING compares to a VW! I have the 2005 1/2 Jetta and I love the way it handles, all the features and I love the looks I get when I'm driving it. My daughter's friends call it the "Sexy Mobile." My only wish is that it got better gas mileage (I knew I should have bought the diesel). I am a faithful VWer for LIFE!

Favorite Features

I love the new body style. I liked the old one but the new one is SEXY. I love the way it handles. I love the power package and the heated seats. I love the way the horn sounds. I love my Jetta!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that I would change about the car is it needs just one more gear. The rpms are high enough that I can take off in second gear. So when I'm at top speed (70) on the highway, it feels like I could shift just one more time.

Fun & Fast
By Inspector Jay

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my 6th VW, my first was a '69 Bug. It is my third Jetta in a row and all the Jettas have been red. My brother is still driving my 96 Jetta! The power and shift points on the 05 GLI have been matched perfectly! This is a turbo hot rod. It's street appeal and overall handling combined with the turbo power make it a great car to drive! I too miss the heated seats, but have grown very comfortable in the Ricarro's - it's a true sports car - some luxury has to be lost when driving a car like this. I bought it late in the production because I love the styling and my '02 only had 23,000 miles on it. I use the cruise control and get no less than 25 mpg and even 30 on the hyway!

Favorite Features

Styling and the matched engine / transmission. The engineers got the system tuned very very nicely. Little or no turbo lag! I really like the stabilization system too. When pressing the envelope the stabilization calms things down. Great in the turns the seats hold the smiling passengers snug!

Suggested Improvements

Possibly adjust the clearance on the effects on the nose. There are some areas it does a scrape if the curb is high.

The Swiss Army Knife / Machintosh of Cars
By Nelson

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My New 2005 Jetta is great. It has every gadget I could want, except GPS. It is definitely a car made to bond with the driver. This car hugs the road on curves. It never feels unstable. It's as spacious as a midsize sedan. I bought the Pkg. 2 and have everything I ever thought I'd need in a car and more. It has too many clever standard options to mention. I'm 35 years old, and the new body style suits my taste just fine. It's sporty without appearing that I'm trying to hold on too tightly to age 19. I'm so glad I got out of my gas-guzzling SUV for something smarter. Some say it's pricey, but you really get what you pay for. After all, it's a German VW!

Favorite Features

The leather interior, passenger and trunk space, dual heated powered seats w/climate control, Pneumatic lumbar adjustments, the adjustment mechanism for the sunroof, rear window screen, pull-down rear seats, and rain-sensing windshield wipers!

Suggested Improvements

The audio system could be improved, there is some rattling in the doors at higher volumes.

My Jetta
By sad to say

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 new in September. Since then, it has been in the shop for 37 days for cooling problems. I am getting rid of it, it can't be fixed. I really do love the car it's a shame.

Favorite Features

The whole package is really nice. I especially like the heated seats, coming home features, and lights under the mirror.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo has too much bass.

Nothin' Betta than a Jetta
By Darryl

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car. It handles great and has outstanding acceleration when you need it. It has a very comfortable ride and is very fun to drive.

Favorite Features

I like the auto lights and windshield wipers. Set them and forget them.

Suggested Improvements

Give it more horsepower. You really don't need it but comparing to other vehicles like the Honda Accord, imagine this car with those horses!