Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Not as good as I thought
By Vdub

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved my Jetta until today. All of sudden, I was stuck in the middle of the road because my car would not go into gear (manual transmission). I have read many complaints on the National Highway and Safety website of other owners complaining of the same problem and VW who will not take responsibility. My warranty was up less than 1000 miles ago. My car has only been driven 50,000 miles. I should not be having problems with it so soon. It is costly to fix and I am very upset. I had planned on upgrading to a Passat in 2 years because I was so happy with the Jetta, but I don't think I will.

Favorite Features

heated seats, good sound system and good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

A reliable car that won't have major problems like the transmission or clutch breaking. A better warranty.

Lovin the Wagon
By dmill

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon is fun to drive and comfortable. I have not had any problems with it. Its smooth ride is excellent on long trips.

Favorite Features

The stereo and the fact that everything is within easy reach.

Suggested Improvements

No improvements needed :)

Wolfs (berg) in Lamb's Clothing
By A. Graham

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

With 50+ years of snow country driving, mostly in FWD Saabs, I find the combination of traction and stability control amazing. I'll take it over any SUV - usually out run 'em anyway, especially when the road gets twisty. It can carry an impressive load and get 30 mpg on cruise at 74.5 mph (by GPS) on mid-grade fuel. Clearly, this is car built for the autobahn as well as the Alps. This is my 4th since '97 and nothing has broken yet - equals great value for the money.

Favorite Features

I love the overall feel of the car - tight and agile. It has good ergonomics, space utilization and interior lighting. Its excellent seats support well for hours on end. Its small overall foot print and tight turning radius make it a great urban car. I like the crash test results.

Suggested Improvements

The heater takes twice as long to warm up as the one in my '95 Golf. The doors can freeze shut if the car is dripped on. I'd like the fuses in the engine bay where they can be easily changed instead of under the dash. The high beam top cutoff can be pretty hairy when heading into a dip - can't see up the other side.

Why buy anything else??
By TXwhitewater

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Gobs of fun to drive! 40+ MPG. Holds a bunch of stuff. Very good fit & finish. Too soon to tell much about reliability... Only problem so far, I look down at the speedo, Hell! I'm doing 80 again... Really smooth, quiet for a Diesel.

Favorite Features

TDI engine! fuel economy. Great looks.

Suggested Improvements

Controls for the wipers is not intuitive. Takes a bit to get used to.

Awful Car!
By ashley

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

These cars are so cute! I've had mine for a short time and bought it brand new, yes BRAND NEW and have already spent over $4,000 in repairs for stupid problems....not to mention they dont tell you...this car is not a German car...but in fact made in Mexico! It has terrible build quality. Oh yeah, and you need to put oil in it once a week unless you want the engine to blow, it EATS up oil !

Favorite Features

I love the exterior, the car is so cute! and it also handles very well! and is safe besides the fact that it can break down at any moment!

Suggested Improvements

Hmmm well Volkswagon NEEDS a lot of improvments.....such as....less oil consumption, fewer recalls, etc too many to list...I would not recommend a Volkswagon Jetta to anyone.