Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Best Car Ever
By Kristi

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been going thru the reviews and have seen a lot of bad reviews. I actually love my 2005 New Jetta 2.5 model. I bought it used with 50000 miles in 2009. It now has 150000 miles. Last year I did have some costly repairs but it sure was cheaper than buying a new car. I drive my car for work and I feel confident that it won't leave me stranded and she never had! My Jetta has a chain timing belt, so no issues with the engine. With a rubber timing belt breaks can and do happen on every make and model of vehicles. If you have a rubber belt, check it periodically because they wear.

Overall, I love my car! I love the leatherette material, the heated seats, the rain scenored wipers, the ESP for stability, comfort and good fuel efficiency even today.

Not as good as I thought
By Vdub

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have loved my Jetta until today. All of sudden, I was stuck in the middle of the road because my car would not go into gear (manual transmission). I have read many complaints on the National Highway and Safety website of other owners complaining of the same problem and VW who will not take responsibility. My warranty was up less than 1000 miles ago. My car has only been driven 50,000 miles. I should not be having problems with it so soon. It is costly to fix and I am very upset. I had planned on upgrading to a Passat in 2 years because I was so happy with the Jetta, but I don't think I will.

heated seats, good sound system and good gas mileage

A reliable car that won't have major problems like the transmission or clutch breaking. A better warranty.

Lovin the Wagon
By dmill

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon is fun to drive and comfortable. I have not had any problems with it. Its smooth ride is excellent on long trips.

The stereo and the fact that everything is within easy reach.

No improvements needed :)

Wolfs (berg) in Lamb's Clothing
By A. Graham

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

With 50+ years of snow country driving, mostly in FWD Saabs, I find the combination of traction and stability control amazing. I'll take it over any SUV - usually out run 'em anyway, especially when the road gets twisty. It can carry an impressive load and get 30 mpg on cruise at 74.5 mph (by GPS) on mid-grade fuel. Clearly, this is car built for the autobahn as well as the Alps. This is my 4th since '97 and nothing has broken yet - equals great value for the money.

I love the overall feel of the car - tight and agile. It has good ergonomics, space utilization and interior lighting. Its excellent seats support well for hours on end. Its small overall foot print and tight turning radius make it a great urban car. I like the crash test results.

The heater takes twice as long to warm up as the one in my '95 Golf. The doors can freeze shut if the car is dripped on. I'd like the fuses in the engine bay where they can be easily changed instead of under the dash. The high beam top cutoff can be pretty hairy when heading into a dip - can't see up the other side.

Why buy anything else??
By TXwhitewater

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Gobs of fun to drive! 40+ MPG. Holds a bunch of stuff. Very good fit & finish. Too soon to tell much about reliability... Only problem so far, I look down at the speedo, Hell! I'm doing 80 again... Really smooth, quiet for a Diesel.

TDI engine! fuel economy. Great looks.

Controls for the wipers is not intuitive. Takes a bit to get used to.