2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
My best car yet
By dab on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My 05 TDI has 112000 miles. I purchased it new. It gets up to 60 mpg but averages 45 mpg. I'm 6', 250 and find it very comfortable and fun to drive. Maintenance is expensive but I never had any major problems. I also had a 04 Passat TDI but only got 30-32 mpg. Would love to have another Jetta TDI like mine.

Nothing but frustration
By Jessica on 05/28/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This vehicle is enjoyable to drive and not bad on the design. However, as far as quality, I have had nothing but problems since I drove it off the lot. Between the recalls and the other problems I've had with it, it is in the shop more than on my driveway. The list of problems is extensive ranging from the latch on the trunk to the wiring and the brakes. I would not recommend purchasing this vehicle.

Fun, but Unreliable
By Dan on 11/20/09 18:10 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Purchased this car as a certified used vehicle from a VW dealer a little over a year ago. Fun to drive, mileage is excellent. However, I've spent way too much time in the dealer's service waiting room. Broken trunk latch, peeling radio controls, two bad cooling fans, bad rear brake calipers, smearing and chattering windshield wipers. In a few days I'm having the windshield replaced because it is so scratched and full of tiny pitting that it is dangerous to drive at night. Dealership claims the windshield is due to "external factors", but based on the uniformity of the pitting I'm sure it is a materials defect. I've wasted too much time getting this car fixed!

Stay Away
By John on 01/12/06 15:08 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2.5 Jetta is the tenth VW we've owned in fifteen years. It is junk. The transmission skips, it will not engage in drive or reverse properly, and there is a dangerous lapse when taking off from a slow down. The rain sensor wipers are terrible. They sometimes wipe when the windshield is dry or won't wipe at all in a downpour. On continuous wipe they go into intermittent (this car does not have it). The climatronic is screwed up. The a/c comes on by itself when temp is set at 70 and it won't turn off. I have been to two dealers and VW service cannot fix anything. The VW area rep has refused to do anymore warranty service. I am filing lemon law and VW is fighting it. I will never buy VW again.

Love my Jetta 2005.5!
By Linda on 12/05/05 10:09 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 for six months, it is always ready to go when I am. It is very confortable and very responsive on the highway.

Whats with all the Noises?
By Sunny on 11/21/05 18:14 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Overall I love my new Jetta, but have found there are some major problems with noise. First of all the wind noise when you get to 45 mph or over is horrible. Luckily I have the XM radio to drown out the noise but now I am hearing a clicking noise from the dash area? This coupled with the horrible noise at start up has me wishing I had waited another year. People look at me when I start the car up and have said "is something grinding in there?" I am disappointed considering how much I paid for a new car!

New Jetta: More Than My Money's Worth
By J D on 08/18/05 00:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was pleasantly surprised by the New Jetta. Bought the 2.5 without premium package (but not Value Package.) With incentives the price was $20,264. Surprisingly, all the goodies from my A4 3.0 are there, plus more, like rain-sensing wipers and auto headlights. Handling is way crisper than Edmunds' review would have you believe, and power is quite adequate if not barnburning. Six speed Tiptronic transmission is the only auto tranny in this price range with more than four gears - - makes all the difference. Seats are really comfortable (very firm as is typical of Germans.) Although assembled in Puebla Mexico the workmanship (so far) is absolutely first rate. No complaints whatever. Great value!

My 1st VW is simply fantastic....
By Steve on 06/16/05 01:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This being my first VW, I was unsure what to expect. I know that it was the ONLY vehicle I test drove that just "felt" right; great feel & handling. The quality appeared greater in this vehicle as well. The outward appearance is sleek & the features are more intuitive than with other cars I drove. I LOVE to drive it! I'm a satisfied customer of the new Jetta.

Best Car In Class - Period.
By Angus on 06/14/05 19:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my Jetta 2.5 a few days ago and I must say that I am amazed with this car's overall quality, fit and finish and attention to detail. The interior design is excellent and all materials are top-rate. The AT is smooth shifting and includes 6-speeds. There's every feature you can possibly want (with package #2) in a car in this class. No other car in this class is as well equiped or has the same attention to detail for the price (~$26k)- period. The performance of the standard 5 cyl. is "good", but it's slightly noisy; brake performance is very good; suspension is slightly firm but not too much (and absorbs bumps well); the steering feels slightly light; and the seats are excellent.

Very nice!
By Jaidev on 06/14/05 00:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Traded in my 2001.5 V6 Passat for this car. Excellent build quality. Fun to drive. The tiptronic 6 speed transmission is a marvel of modern engineering. It works better than the manual transmission on my Passat. Fuel economy is also great for a 5 cyl. car. There is no difference in mileage between the manual and the automatic with tiptronic. Although from certain angles it does resemble the Corolla a little bit, if you see it from the front, there is no mistaking the chrome grille.