Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 PZEV Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

My best car yet
By dab

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My 05 TDI has 112000 miles. I purchased it new. It gets up to 60 mpg but averages 45 mpg. I'm 6', 250 and find it very comfortable and fun to drive. Maintenance is expensive but I never had any major problems. I also had a 04 Passat TDI but only got 30-32 mpg. Would love to have another Jetta TDI like mine.

Favorite Features

fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

none

Nothing but frustration
By Jessica

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This vehicle is enjoyable to drive and not bad on the design. However, as far as quality, I have had nothing but problems since I drove it off the lot. Between the recalls and the other problems I've had with it, it is in the shop more than on my driveway. The list of problems is extensive ranging from the latch on the trunk to the wiring and the brakes. I would not recommend purchasing this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Handling, fun to drive. I like some of the features that come standard with it.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality of the build of the vehicle and the parts.

Fun, but Unreliable
By Dan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Purchased this car as a certified used vehicle from a VW dealer a little over a year ago. Fun to drive, mileage is excellent. However, I've spent way too much time in the dealer's service waiting room. Broken trunk latch, peeling radio controls, two bad cooling fans, bad rear brake calipers, smearing and chattering windshield wipers. In a few days I'm having the windshield replaced because it is so scratched and full of tiny pitting that it is dangerous to drive at night. Dealership claims the windshield is due to "external factors", but based on the uniformity of the pitting I'm sure it is a materials defect. I've wasted too much time getting this car fixed!

Favorite Features

Refined interior, sporty drive, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality. VW is cutting corners where it can't be seen to create the appearance of a fine automobile, but they don't hold together for very long. It seems the same things fail consistently on these cars--it would be nice if VW fixed those things on certified cars before reselling.

Stay Away
By John

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2.5 Jetta is the tenth VW we've owned in fifteen years. It is junk. The transmission skips, it will not engage in drive or reverse properly, and there is a dangerous lapse when taking off from a slow down. The rain sensor wipers are terrible. They sometimes wipe when the windshield is dry or won't wipe at all in a downpour. On continuous wipe they go into intermittent (this car does not have it). The climatronic is screwed up. The a/c comes on by itself when temp is set at 70 and it won't turn off. I have been to two dealers and VW service cannot fix anything. The VW area rep has refused to do anymore warranty service. I am filing lemon law and VW is fighting it. I will never buy VW again.

Favorite Features

None at this point.

Suggested Improvements

Never buy another VW.

Love my Jetta 2005.5!
By Linda

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 for six months, it is always ready to go when I am. It is very confortable and very responsive on the highway.

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats, auto windshield wipers, leather seats, and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any!