Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Most Helpful|
Don't Do it! Repair shop special!
By Scott

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive when it is not in the repair shop! I have replaced headlights, taillights, an airbag wire harness, radiator fan, trunk latch, ignition key tumbler, the paint on the interior peels, and I have had recall services done. I implore you, even with the warranty this vehicle is not the one! You will be on a first name basis with the auto techs at VW! They are very nice but I would prefer to be on the road and not at the shop!

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

VW should stand behind their products! The warranty does not cover enough and customer should not be penalized for their inability to provide reliable products.I don't want anymore recall or problem notification letters. This is a shame!

Frustrated beyond belief
By frustrated77

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble. Wiring issues, now transmission hard shifts. Problem is extremely common via Google search. VW dealership just says needs new transmission and denies knowing anything about it, though there has even been at least one attempted class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY!!!

Favorite Features

Looked like a cute car...very disappointed.

Never again!!!
By lslb40

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my 2005 2.5L for 3 years now. I have had to replace the timing chain and tensioners once already. 4 months later I had to replace the tensioners again. Thank god my Husband works on VW's cause if you take it to a VW dealer to get fixed your looking at a $2,500 job and that's on the low side. Now my car has an intermittent starting problem which after days and days of research I see that this has been a big problem for this car and several other VW car's. I have talked to a VW mechanic from a local VW dealer and he has said to get rid of the car, especially the 2.5L. He has been a VW mechanic for 35 years. Needless to say. I will never buy a VW again.

Never again!
By Never Again!

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, where to start...Lets see I leased my Jetta in 2005 and liked the car so I ended up purchasing (although the sunroof had to be rebuilt and the driver window motor had to be replaced) I thought these things were just a fluke. Literally as soon as I purchased the car the check engine light started coming on every couple months, it actually came on twice in one month once!!! I took the car in every time and they fixed it under warranty. Now my factory warranty is up and it came on once again and I took it to the dealership and they stated that it was a secondary air pump, which is NOT covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. What a shocker!! it will cost over $500 to fix.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice, exterior design, lots of good features.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the rattling sound with cold start. Needs to be of better quaility altogether. This will be my last VW. Looking to trade in and get something else!

Poor Quality/Bad Deal
By Scott

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This could be a great car if it did not require some much time in the repair shop. This time it broke down, because a tumbler in the ignition switch failed. Therefore requiring a seven to ten day stay in the repair shop. They advised me that the part would have to come from Germany. Before purchasing any of the VW products sit in the service department and listen to the customer! Please! I implore you!

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage and sporty drive! However, I have a great relationship with the service department! Always in the repair shop and the repairs are costly!

Suggested Improvements

Better craftsmanship and engineering. Too many small failing components i.e airbag harness wiring, trunk latch, taillight failures, and peeling accessory control covers, failing radiator fan.Quality of parts must improve!