2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
GLI
By summersbo on 01/22/10 18:10 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2005 VW GLI was an absolute blast to drive, when it drove. The clutch and flywheel exploded(yes exploded) at 30,000 miles leaving me stranded. A clutch and flywheel should last longer then that, 100k maybe. I ended up trading it in on a Toyota. VW are engineered with driving performance in mind but are poorly built. If your willing to deal with the expensive upkeep then this is an excellent car. But if you want reliability go with something from japan. The reliability track record of VW will prevent me from buying another.

First and LAST VW
By Sara on 08/07/09 18:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the car but mine was a lemon. Features are great, love the German design. Never own one without at bumper to bumper warranty

Pocket Rocket
By Morianos on 05/08/08 15:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought this car for my wife brand new in 04 I guess. It's been great ever since and VW has stood behind it. My wife hit a curb, VW replaced the wheel and tire free of charge, a slight defect in the paint on the bumper was also fixed no problem. Fast with super gas mileage what more can you ask for.

Nice car, great value retention
By Bob on 10/16/07 13:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Leased this GLI 1.8T 6 manual in November 2004. Had only one problem through 10/07 and 37000 miles: sunroof leaked because drain hoses clogged with debris, can't fault VW for that. Reasonably peppy car, fun handling (could use stiffer sway bars to reduce body lean), fantastic brakes. Interior is well appointed though back seat legroom is tight (I mainly used it as a 1-person commuter car anyway). Fuel economy was good, would average about 30-31 in mixed highway and city driving. Dip in to the boost too much and drive only in the city and you'll pay though. Overall, I have been very satisfied with this car. Value retention has been excellent.

For the young fans
By SPEEDRACER02 on 08/27/07 16:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my GLI with 6k on it from vw about 2 years ago. It's a great car, looks amazing, wish it had the performance to go with that. I have had several little problems with it, biggest was radio. Great overall car with little to improve on, but needs more power!

Jetta GLI
By Robert on 03/04/07 20:26 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my car used with 31,000 miles. Kudos to VW for adding the 6-seepd tranny, larger brakes, stiffer springs, body kit and Recaro seats! This Jetta is definitely worthy of the GLI badge. The suspension is on the firm side, but it's great fun to drive. It is very comfortable on my commutes. As a previous reviewer also mentioned, the front lip hangs fairly low, so you need to exercise caution when parking or when going up ramps. I love the car so far.

Jetta GLI
By jason on 01/20/07 09:09 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great looking car sits low to the ground, so you have to be careful. It needs a short shifter and there is not much leg room in the back. The wheel well liners rip easy though. Overall, this has been a great car so far.

Recaro sSeats Look Good, but...
By Goldie on 01/10/07 17:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is great. It's fun to drive, it looks good, and it's not too expensive. But seriously...those front seats are just way too narrow. I'm not abnormally huge, but I just can't stand sitting in them for more than an hour or so. And the backs seats are made for toddlers. They have no leg room at all. Everything else is cool. The Tiptronic transmission shifts well, the features and controls are great. The trunk is huge, and nothing has really gone wrong. The only other complaints I have would be the low front clearance (I scrape it on everything) and the low profile tires. A crack in the road in Houston blew out two tires and dented the rims. Oops. All in all, though, this is a great Volkswagen.

Great Car
By John on 11/28/06 16:20 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car has excellent handling, great fuel economy, and is a real blast on twisty roads. The Goodyear tires are great in the wet and dry. The only problem with the summer tires is the need for winter tires and rims. The ride is a little stiff but well worth it when you want to play boy racer. Overall this is an excellent car.

VW has hit a homerun with the new Jetta
By RDW South Carolina on 09/11/06 06:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We have driven Mercedes diesel autos for fifteen years. my wife got us interested in the Jetta diesel and we made a good decision to buy the VW. it is a pleasure to drive.