Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Decent investment
By michman247

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, 2.0l, 5 speed manual, with under 95k miles. So far I haven't had any problems and it runs great. Overall, the exterior and interior are fine, nothing to brag about although it is a little snug in the back. The car handles well, the power is what you'd expect out of a 4 cylinder, 1st gear is almost worthless. As far as maintenance is concerned, I can do most of the basics easily but the more advanced fixes are not cheap. If you can find one that had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and etc changed recently then you'll save yourself a couple hundred dollars. If I had the choice again, I'd probably purchase another VW.

Cheap plastic knobs are pealing
By susan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the heated seats. Thought I would get better gas mileage. Plastic covers over knobs peeling off. Wipers come on without turning them on. Needed new timing belt, this was covered , thank god, very expensive repair. In cold weather, loud rattling noice from muffler area, was checked out, can't fix. Design problem. Right now, trying to decide whether to buy or walk away from lease.

Spunky, fair gas mileage, big trunk.

Wheel covers are cheap. Better covering for knobs, not cheap plastic that melts away.

The 4 Cylinder Jetta Sucks!
By Jewel2

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had this car for a year yet and I'm already having problems. Like other owners, I have electrical problems with check engine lights coming on, coolant lights and all seem to be "fine" when checked by mechanics. Also the transmission sticks when driving. It sometimes jerks when trying to accelerate going uphill. My driver's side door squeaks when I open it. I've lost a hubcap and on a rainy day the tires slip. Also the fuel economy sucks on the highway as well so I'm left wondering, why did I buy this car?

I do like the compact size and find it easy to fit into most parking spaces. I also like the design of the dash. It gets good gas mileage for staying in town and not driving much.

I suggest the New Jetta. I hope its better than the old one.

Germans do it better!
By Lulu

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car and I've been completely happy with it. The base line model (GL) doesn't feel very base line with remote key less entry, power windows/locks, CD AM/FM and cassette, cruise control, chrome trim accents and those cool purple dash board lights. It's comfortable, reliable, nice to drive and gets good mileage. Servicing is reasonably priced and so is the car itself. I don't think the signal lights staying on were manufacturer default, but operator malfunction. Here's a tip, turn the lights OFF and they won't run your battery down. Good luck backing up in that ION. (that's a bad shape)

I love the seat height adjuster- very ejector seat style! The mini sun visor over the rear view mirror is very handy. Great size trunk for a small car. (3 adults fit comfortably and 9 small children)

I agree with Erin about the oddly placed cup holders. I think the glove box is oddly shaped as well, however I have managed to shove an obscene amount of crap in there.

Problems Already
By Problems

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Jetta used with around 30K miles on it and have had it just over a year. I love the looks of it and have enjoyed having the vehicle until now. My vehicle had 42K miles on it when I started hearing a rattling noise. Come to find out, I had to have most of my engine replaced! When I went to pick it up, I drove about 1 block from the dealership when my car started jerking and wouldn’t always accelerate when the gas was applied. I immediately drove it right back to the dealership and now I'm needing a whole new transmission! Thank God all this is covered under warranty but I don't think it's right that a car with so few miles should be having so many major problems!

Overall look of the interior and exterior of the vehicle.

Better engines and transmissions!