2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Frustrated beyond belief
By frustrated77 on 08/01/13 09:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble. Wiring issues, now transmission hard shifts. Problem is extremely common via Google search. VW dealership just says needs new transmission and denies knowing anything about it, though there has even been at least one attempted class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY!!!

Never again!!!
By lslb40 on 08/23/11 05:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my 2005 2.5L for 3 years now. I have had to replace the timing chain and tensioners once already. 4 months later I had to replace the tensioners again. Thank god my Husband works on VW's cause if you take it to a VW dealer to get fixed your looking at a $2,500 job and that's on the low side. Now my car has an intermittent starting problem which after days and days of research I see that this has been a big problem for this car and several other VW car's. I have talked to a VW mechanic from a local VW dealer and he has said to get rid of the car, especially the 2.5L. He has been a VW mechanic for 35 years. Needless to say. I will never buy a VW again.

Don't Do it! Repair shop special!
By Scott on 06/06/10 08:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive when it is not in the repair shop! I have replaced headlights, taillights, an airbag wire harness, radiator fan, trunk latch, ignition key tumbler, the paint on the interior peels, and I have had recall services done. I implore you, even with the warranty this vehicle is not the one! You will be on a first name basis with the auto techs at VW! They are very nice but I would prefer to be on the road and not at the shop!

Poor Quality/Bad Deal
By Scott on 05/08/10 15:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This could be a great car if it did not require some much time in the repair shop. This time it broke down, because a tumbler in the ignition switch failed. Therefore requiring a seven to ten day stay in the repair shop. They advised me that the part would have to come from Germany. Before purchasing any of the VW products sit in the service department and listen to the customer! Please! I implore you!

Never again!
By Never Again! on 08/26/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, where to start...Lets see I leased my Jetta in 2005 and liked the car so I ended up purchasing (although the sunroof had to be rebuilt and the driver window motor had to be replaced) I thought these things were just a fluke. Literally as soon as I purchased the car the check engine light started coming on every couple months, it actually came on twice in one month once!!! I took the car in every time and they fixed it under warranty. Now my factory warranty is up and it came on once again and I took it to the dealership and they stated that it was a secondary air pump, which is NOT covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. What a shocker!! it will cost over $500 to fix.

Electrical Problems
By Carolyn on 07/31/09 10:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first Jetta and I was so excited with the new body style and the 2.5. It's a great car for driving and it handles excellent on the highway and fuel mileage is 24. in the city. But then electrical problems began with Check engine, coolant, temp gauge, radiator fan wiring harness all replaced within the first 6 months. Now again, electrical problems, drivers door power window wiring harness replaced then the air bag wiring harness will be replaced next week. I'm thinking FORD right about now. I loved my VW but the problems are not worth the name of Jetta.

What now
By crr on 03/07/09 22:01 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a comfortable, efficient car. I have had no problems at all. It drives great, is comfortable and sporty. I have heated leather seats a sunroof and a great sound system. I also get about 32 mpg. My only concern is finding a 4 wheel drive car that will live up to the Jetta.

Okay Car, But I Would Not Buy Another VW
By 123Blue on 03/05/09 13:41 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This our third VW. We also have an '01 Beetle and an '04 Passat. I purchased my '05 New Jetta 2.5 in June 2008 w/ 27k miles on it, previously a loaner. Compared to similarly priced cars (Civics, Corollas) the Jetta had a lot more features for the price. Fully loaded with leatherette interior, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, etc. Nice ride, a little sporty, not too fast, but not too slow either. Reliable as far as getting from point A to point B, but way too many problems with the build quality. Faulty trunk latch, auto window stopped working, lightbulb sensor going on and off, sunroof acting funny, buttons peeling, even the gas cap not unlocking. Will not be buying another VW!

My First German Car
By Jetta Fan on 01/08/09 07:41 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought 2.5 Jetta couple of weeks back. Love the car. It's fun to drive. I drove Focus for 5yrs before buying used Jetta. The car had 78k miles, hoping to drive for another 80k. Since I bought it from Ford dealership, the dealer didn't give any warranty on my Jetta. This is a great Winter car. I live in Michigan and this year it's snowing really hard. The car got ABS and traction control. It drives great in snow and slippery roads. The car is small, but heavier than Corolla and Accord. Very Solid !

Great car... But BEWARE!!!!
By Luftlinea on 01/02/09 08:59 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this certified pre-owned car with 25,000 miles. Although it was 3 yrs old... It seemed new. Friends and family love this little car. I have gotten many compliments at stop lights. Here are a few problems I have experienced. Some rattling sounds. Have taken it to dealer twice to fix, but panels keep coming loose. Cold start is very load and diesel like... They say its normal. Wiper come on for no reason. There was one occasion where trunk release did not work. Had to replace the gas tank release mechn. Word of advise... I have extended warranty until 74,000 mi. Do not be afraid to take it back to get fixed. Every is great at the dealership. They know me by name.