2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 2.5L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2005 Jetta Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Frustrated beyond belief
By frustrated77

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble. Wiring issues, now transmission hard shifts. Problem is extremely common via Google search. VW dealership just says needs new transmission and denies knowing anything about it, though there has even been at least one attempted class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY!!!

Favorite Features

Looked like a cute car...very disappointed.

Never again!!!
By lslb40

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my 2005 2.5L for 3 years now. I have had to replace the timing chain and tensioners once already. 4 months later I had to replace the tensioners again. Thank god my Husband works on VW's cause if you take it to a VW dealer to get fixed your looking at a $2,500 job and that's on the low side. Now my car has an intermittent starting problem which after days and days of research I see that this has been a big problem for this car and several other VW car's. I have talked to a VW mechanic from a local VW dealer and he has said to get rid of the car, especially the 2.5L. He has been a VW mechanic for 35 years. Needless to say. I will never buy a VW again.

Don't Do it! Repair shop special!
By Scott

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive when it is not in the repair shop! I have replaced headlights, taillights, an airbag wire harness, radiator fan, trunk latch, ignition key tumbler, the paint on the interior peels, and I have had recall services done. I implore you, even with the warranty this vehicle is not the one! You will be on a first name basis with the auto techs at VW! They are very nice but I would prefer to be on the road and not at the shop!

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

VW should stand behind their products! The warranty does not cover enough and customer should not be penalized for their inability to provide reliable products.I don't want anymore recall or problem notification letters. This is a shame!

Poor Quality/Bad Deal
By Scott

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This could be a great car if it did not require some much time in the repair shop. This time it broke down, because a tumbler in the ignition switch failed. Therefore requiring a seven to ten day stay in the repair shop. They advised me that the part would have to come from Germany. Before purchasing any of the VW products sit in the service department and listen to the customer! Please! I implore you!

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage and sporty drive! However, I have a great relationship with the service department! Always in the repair shop and the repairs are costly!

Suggested Improvements

Better craftsmanship and engineering. Too many small failing components i.e airbag harness wiring, trunk latch, taillight failures, and peeling accessory control covers, failing radiator fan.Quality of parts must improve!

Never again!
By Never Again!

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Well, where to start...Lets see I leased my Jetta in 2005 and liked the car so I ended up purchasing (although the sunroof had to be rebuilt and the driver window motor had to be replaced) I thought these things were just a fluke. Literally as soon as I purchased the car the check engine light started coming on every couple months, it actually came on twice in one month once!!! I took the car in every time and they fixed it under warranty. Now my factory warranty is up and it came on once again and I took it to the dealership and they stated that it was a secondary air pump, which is NOT covered under the extended warranty that I purchased. What a shocker!! it will cost over $500 to fix.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice, exterior design, lots of good features.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the rattling sound with cold start. Needs to be of better quaility altogether. This will be my last VW. Looking to trade in and get something else!

Electrical Problems
By Carolyn

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first Jetta and I was so excited with the new body style and the 2.5. It's a great car for driving and it handles excellent on the highway and fuel mileage is 24. in the city. But then electrical problems began with Check engine, coolant, temp gauge, radiator fan wiring harness all replaced within the first 6 months. Now again, electrical problems, drivers door power window wiring harness replaced then the air bag wiring harness will be replaced next week. I'm thinking FORD right about now. I loved my VW but the problems are not worth the name of Jetta.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling car, leather seats & heated, moon roof.

Suggested Improvements

Give us a better warranty on the electrical/mechanical problems that VK is having with their cars.

What now
By crr

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is a comfortable, efficient car. I have had no problems at all. It drives great, is comfortable and sporty. I have heated leather seats a sunroof and a great sound system. I also get about 32 mpg. My only concern is finding a 4 wheel drive car that will live up to the Jetta.

Favorite Features

heated leather seats

Suggested Improvements

none

Okay Car, But I Would Not Buy Another VW
By 123Blue

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This our third VW. We also have an '01 Beetle and an '04 Passat. I purchased my '05 New Jetta 2.5 in June 2008 w/ 27k miles on it, previously a loaner. Compared to similarly priced cars (Civics, Corollas) the Jetta had a lot more features for the price. Fully loaded with leatherette interior, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, etc. Nice ride, a little sporty, not too fast, but not too slow either. Reliable as far as getting from point A to point B, but way too many problems with the build quality. Faulty trunk latch, auto window stopped working, lightbulb sensor going on and off, sunroof acting funny, buttons peeling, even the gas cap not unlocking. Will not be buying another VW!

Favorite Features

Auto headlights, wipers, sunroof, leatherette interior, heated seats, large trunk with hooks for groceries...

Suggested Improvements

Improve on build quality!!! Also, car calls for regular fuel, but seems to run much smoother on mid-grade. Not much of a difference between mid-grade and premium.

My First German Car
By Jetta Fan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I bought 2.5 Jetta couple of weeks back. Love the car. It's fun to drive. I drove Focus for 5yrs before buying used Jetta. The car had 78k miles, hoping to drive for another 80k. Since I bought it from Ford dealership, the dealer didn't give any warranty on my Jetta. This is a great Winter car. I live in Michigan and this year it's snowing really hard. The car got ABS and traction control. It drives great in snow and slippery roads. The car is small, but heavier than Corolla and Accord. Very Solid !

Favorite Features

Dual Climate Zone, Leather trim, Heated Seat, Tiptronic, Sound

Suggested Improvements

Exterior more Corolla like Mileage

Great car... But BEWARE!!!!
By Luftlinea

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this certified pre-owned car with 25,000 miles. Although it was 3 yrs old... It seemed new. Friends and family love this little car. I have gotten many compliments at stop lights. Here are a few problems I have experienced. Some rattling sounds. Have taken it to dealer twice to fix, but panels keep coming loose. Cold start is very load and diesel like... They say its normal. Wiper come on for no reason. There was one occasion where trunk release did not work. Had to replace the gas tank release mechn. Word of advise... I have extended warranty until 74,000 mi. Do not be afraid to take it back to get fixed. Every is great at the dealership. They know me by name.

Favorite Features

Interior lights, heated seats, six disc CD changer and large trunk. Friendly staff at dealership. Great support even though some problems keep recurring.

Suggested Improvements

Crap Happens!!! what the hell is that noise during cold starts?