2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Good daily commuter car. Not fun.
By ajt36 on 08/06/14 20:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We've owned our 2.5L Jetta since new, but I've been driving it since about 44K miles. Now has 127K. This is a well-built, full-featured, and generally dependable daily commuter. New it was $27K and it has some features missing on my wife's $50K 2011 Audi A4. While it is a good "A to B" car, there is nothing fun or inspiring about this car. If that is not a priority in your car ownership, then no worries, the interior amenities will more than make up for it. But if you want something that's fun on the on/off ramps, and inspires confidence when you go to pass, then the 2.5L 5 cyl. is not your engine. Go with the 2.0 Turbo. Just regular maintenance, but some inconvenient repairs.

Pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside
By eder_cheddar on 04/28/14 17:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I got my car used with 62k miles on it. As soon as I got it, the car kept breaking down on me time after time. Maybe I got a lemon, who knows. I had a tiny piece of plastic connecting my inter coolant break on me that crippled my car and was a $3 piece of plastic I got at O'Reilly's. It's terrible that you don't have the transmission oil easily accessible. You have to take it to a mechanic to get lifted so they can access it. My favorite/current issue is the transmission that crapped out on me 3 times. I currently have had the car for 72K miles and it's ridiculous to have this occur so soon.

Great car, but high maintenance
By cl002004 on 10/02/13 14:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 8 years now. I'm not really a car enthusiast, just need something to comfortably take me from point a to point b without any issues. It does exactly what I need it to do most of the time. The only thing is that unexpectedly random things will go wrong with it. In the past 8 years, power steering broke, oil leaked, trunk door got stuck, and my favorite, the ignition lock(?) broke so that my key would not go in the ignition. Very costly to get these issues fixed, on top of high regular maintenance costs. Replacing the ignition lock cost $700 + towing expenses.

Frustrated beyond belief
By frustrated77 on 08/01/13 09:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble. Wiring issues, now transmission hard shifts. Problem is extremely common via Google search. VW dealership just says needs new transmission and denies knowing anything about it, though there has even been at least one attempted class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY!!!

Jetta problems
By jettanomore05 on 06/09/12 18:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new. This car has the worst paint job I have ever had. The front of the car seems to have many little dots of paint missing. Now I have a history of driving many cars in my youth on gravel roads but never with this car. I cannot account for this problem. I had to have something replaced in the transmission early on due to horrible thud sound. It still does this at times but they cannot find reason. THe car has been carefully maintained but I just had to replace water pump, tensioners, thermastat, and because of this timing belt was also recommended. Total cost was over $1,050.00. Car has only 59,000 miles on it and is gently driven.

05 jetta in the desert
By joshkellerpa on 04/24/12 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own an 05 VW jetta GL and a 05 vw bug. I dont know about later years or earlyer. But on my 05 jetta the crank pully has snaped off on its own. We have had to replace the water pump EVERY SUMMER.(hot weather area). I have gotten it replaced at a VW dealership for the majority. Now why did they never recomend to get the metal impeler? Why hasnt this model of water pump been recalled? We have gotten our engine rebuilt 2 times for a grand total of $10,000+. 1 of these engines was rebuilt at a VW dealershit. THEY LEFT SOME KIND OF AIR PUMP ON MY ENGINE. told me to bad thats were it goes. the second time by beatle barn las vegas and they gave me my car back in worse condition then b4 it blew.

Decent investment
By michman247 on 02/08/12 13:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, 2.0l, 5 speed manual, with under 95k miles. So far I haven't had any problems and it runs great. Overall, the exterior and interior are fine, nothing to brag about although it is a little snug in the back. The car handles well, the power is what you'd expect out of a 4 cylinder, 1st gear is almost worthless. As far as maintenance is concerned, I can do most of the basics easily but the more advanced fixes are not cheap. If you can find one that had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and etc changed recently then you'll save yourself a couple hundred dollars. If I had the choice again, I'd probably purchase another VW.

Never again!!!
By lslb40 on 08/23/11 05:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my 2005 2.5L for 3 years now. I have had to replace the timing chain and tensioners once already. 4 months later I had to replace the tensioners again. Thank god my Husband works on VW's cause if you take it to a VW dealer to get fixed your looking at a $2,500 job and that's on the low side. Now my car has an intermittent starting problem which after days and days of research I see that this has been a big problem for this car and several other VW car's. I have talked to a VW mechanic from a local VW dealer and he has said to get rid of the car, especially the 2.5L. He has been a VW mechanic for 35 years. Needless to say. I will never buy a VW again.

Never Again
By douglas23 on 07/05/11 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2005 2.5 liter with 68k miles and suffered a catastrophic engine failure. What a piece of junk! And no help from Volkwagen America. What a crappy company.........

Love Hate Relationship
By marson on 05/16/11 14:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have loved my Jetta since I bought it but it seems like too much is going wrong to make it worth keeping. I have had to replace almost 10 sensors on it, adjusters are breaking, and check engine codes are flying out of it like crazy. In the last month I have had to put close to 2,000 into the motor because of problems and there is only 90,000 miles on it. I take very good care of my cars and I have never had to go through this much of a headache with a car. I would never buy a VW again and if I could go back I would buy anything else.