Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

NOT A RELIABLE CAR!
By saint13

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2005 Volkswagen jetta GLI. At 65,000 miles, my timing belt snapped and it left me on the side of the highway. Had major costly engine damage. Since then the fabric has been coming off all over the interior of the car. It constantly needs to be in the shop. It worked great but its not reliable due to the fact at 60,000 plus miles its a mechanical nightmare!

Good daily commuter car. Not fun.
By ajt36

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We've owned our 2.5L Jetta since new, but I've been driving it since about 44K miles. Now has 127K. This is a well-built, full-featured, and generally dependable daily commuter. New it was $27K and it has some features missing on my wife's $50K 2011 Audi A4. While it is a good "A to B" car, there is nothing fun or inspiring about this car. If that is not a priority in your car ownership, then no worries, the interior amenities will more than make up for it. But if you want something that's fun on the on/off ramps, and inspires confidence when you go to pass, then the 2.5L 5 cyl. is not your engine. Go with the 2.0 Turbo. Just regular maintenance, but some inconvenient repairs.

We have the mid-package model (leather/moonroof w/o Nav). The seats on this car are great. Power, 11 or 14 way adjustable. Very comfortable. Above-average sound system from a manufacturer. Respectable 28 - 30 mpg highway on my daily 80 mile roundtrip commute (the first and last 2 or 3 miles are "city" driving). Useful trip computer, iPod and/or BT easily added (though not cheap even 9 years later).

This is my second VW (previous was a 97 GTI). Both developed shorts. The Jetta's wiring harness that controls the windows shorted out and needed to be replaced (~$400.00). We had an oil pan leak early on in ownership which was covered under warranty. The driver's fender rusted on the inside and a golf ball sized patch of rust developed on the driver's rocker panel last year. To its credit, VW covered it under the rust warranty with no hassle. Rubber coating on interior buttons/dials wears off. Looks cheap. Performance is underwhelming, especially from a company that prides itself on "Das Auto." The 2.0 turbo was not available at the time, or we would have gone that route.

Pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside
By eder_cheddar

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I got my car used with 62k miles on it. As soon as I got it, the car kept breaking down on me time after time. Maybe I got a lemon, who knows. I had a tiny piece of plastic connecting my inter coolant break on me that crippled my car and was a $3 piece of plastic I got at O'Reilly's. It's terrible that you don't have the transmission oil easily accessible. You have to take it to a mechanic to get lifted so they can access it. My favorite/current issue is the transmission that crapped out on me 3 times. I currently have had the car for 72K miles and it's ridiculous to have this occur so soon.

Exterior looks great and unique.

Fix interior mechanics.

Great car, but high maintenance
By cl002004

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 8 years now. I'm not really a car enthusiast, just need something to comfortably take me from point a to point b without any issues. It does exactly what I need it to do most of the time. The only thing is that unexpectedly random things will go wrong with it. In the past 8 years, power steering broke, oil leaked, trunk door got stuck, and my favorite, the ignition lock(?) broke so that my key would not go in the ignition. Very costly to get these issues fixed, on top of high regular maintenance costs. Replacing the ignition lock cost $700 + towing expenses.

Frustrated beyond belief
By frustrated77

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble. Wiring issues, now transmission hard shifts. Problem is extremely common via Google search. VW dealership just says needs new transmission and denies knowing anything about it, though there has even been at least one attempted class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY!!!

Looked like a cute car...very disappointed.