2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Car, can't beat TDI-
By Geoff on 08/17/09 03:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Nothing but good things to say about this one. I have had four other VWs, and I enjoy this the most in terms of reliability and looks. NO major problems after 150k miles, TDI still feels like new, fuel filter does need to be changed every 20k, otherwise will feel loss of power. No problems with knobs, wiring, other than rear latch can be difficult to use in really cold. I guess the worst thing was engine sway mount did break, causing engine to torque more under load. Have hit 65MPG on highway-only driving doing 60mph!

Never go without a warranty
By gunz20 on 07/14/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Our first import car. TDI is great for fuel economy. Problems; we hit 20000 miles & had to replace the fuel filter. Could have been bad diesel fuel, but paid because its suggested to be replaced every 20000 miles. Vehicle now has 64000, no problems since. Trunk lid latch doesn't work in cold weather. Got it replaced under warranty, now it doesn't work again and no warranty to help. Most recent, driver side door electrical harness went out, leaving me with no controls, no way lock car or open up the fuel tank door. VW wants $500 to repair. Dealer said passenger door is going out, another $500. Also, we have replaced several, blown exterior light bulbs, some multiple times.

So far so good
By who needs a hybrid? on 08/30/08 19:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased new in 9/05, paid full sticker, no dealer shopped would budge on price so it came down to color/options. First diesel car ever owned and would definitely buy another one. Car seems as quiet/powerful as the 1.8 gas, mileage averages over 40mpg, 80% highway driving with the automatic. Surprising reliability as an '86 GLI I owned fell apart around 75K miles of hard driving. Gripes, I once owned a '04 Passat and was much more comfortable behind the wheel, I'm only 6' tall, the center console protrudes too much into my right leg. Also, the cruise control controls belong on the steering wheel, like the Passat. Otherwise no other major complaints other than I wish diesel was cheaper!

Commendable Vehicle
By steve on 03/01/06 14:24 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 VW Jetta TDI is very fun and predictable to drive. All of its systems function fine. Its gas mileage was fairly close to 50 mpg on my first trip from St. Louis MO to Las Vegas NV.

Unreliable Lemon! VW won't replace!
By Alisha on 02/27/06 12:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

For some buying a VW is great but it has been the worst experience ever for me. This is my first new car and it has broken down four times in six months. The worst part is that VW doesn't know what is wrong. The last time it was in, they just kept replacing things until the code went away. The problem is that the car will work fine, then when you stop and try to go, it won't go anywhere. You give it gas but it acts like it is in neutral. This has happened in the middle of intersections almost causing us to wreck. I told VW and the dealer this, they said they won't replace my car. The VW Customer Care line lacks care and contradicts itself. VW doesn't know how to repair their cars. Note to consumers, read the lemon law carefully!

From Gas to Diesel
By dokdiesel on 08/15/05 15:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Never owned a diesel or VW before. I needed a high mpg car for a longer commute. I was leaning towards a hybrid, but I test drove it and I was impressed. Just turned 1,100 miles on the car. It's been a great commuter car so far. The car handles well and latest safety test rating are and added bonus.

Nice Car - Poor Build Quality
By damien on 07/26/05 20:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Buy another car. Within the first 11 days of owning my New Jetta: 1. The driver’s side light cover fell off. 2. The outside temperature sensor failed. 3. The driver’s side door rattles 4. The center console cover rattles. A month later I am happy to report that my car has been back to the dealer twice and nothing is fixed. In fact the service manager called me to let me know that the temperature sensor has arrived; but Volkswagen has instructed the dealer that they can not install this part and that they must return the part and wait for another one. Nobody can tell me when my car will be fixed.

TDI - Yeah Baby
By Danny on 07/22/05 12:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Dude - What an awesome car. I used to drive a 95' Jeep Cherokee. Quite a step up. 43 miles to the gallon! Smooth and quiet ride. This our first VW but we can't wait until we get our next one. You sit in the driver's seat and you think, "Man, I'm drving a pretty posh car!"

Premium sedan
By Ursula Fries-Herfort on 06/30/05 15:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car can not be compared to the civic or corolla. It is a class of its own, closer maybe to the passat or accord but cheaper. The interior is that of a premium car. Great comfort with great fuel efficiency. Enough space for a family of 4, huge trunk makes it a great car for travel. When you drive it you forget that it is a diesel engine.

New 2005 Jetta TDI 5 sp manual
By desertair on 06/29/05 23:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Poor man's BMW 325i, rich man's Toyota Corrola. Great fuel economy,averaging 45 mpg in the city. Fun to drive: handles extremely well in tight corners and suspension is nice and firm. Acceleration is sluggish, and barely adequate. The handling, suspension and sound of the diesel engine delude you into believing that you are going very fast. Very comfortable and well laid-out interior design. Exterior is sharp looking.