Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great Car
By Bellyman

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Ive had this car for 4 years and it blew a turbo at 80 000 km and the dc bus to the glow plugs at 90 km but it was all covered by vws excellent warranty and i havent had any problems since and i have 225 000 km on it now, would definately buy another.Great in the snow and of course mileage is unbeatable.

mileage,handling in snow,torque

better seats with lumbar support

Maintenance expensive, had some trouble
By HighMileage

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I put over 230000 km in 4 years on my Jetta. It did stay remarkably tight. Parts I had to replace include 5 wheel bearings, a dozen headlight bulbs, a new turbo for $2400., a fuel pump for $550., a turbo hose, various front end parts, e-brake cables etc. The fuel mileage is good and you think you are getting ahead but you pay it all back for the $100 oil changes and $300 every 32000km for fuel filters. My other complaint is the electrical systems, had intermittent trouble with headlights and my door lock system. For a while there I thought I owned HERBIE. Lastly, everybody loves the heated seats because a TDI takes 30 minutes of driving to actually heat up. HELLO TOYOTA HERE I COME.

Heated seats, power roof.

Should have a block heater, maintenance is too high, expensive for a sub compact car, forever to heat up! They eat light bulbs, count how many you meet on the road with a light out. It is rather amusing!!!!!!!!!!

Best vehicle purchase EVER!!
By cdstraw

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Absolutely fabulous vehicle. Purchased as New Jetta's were hitting showroom and dealer wanted to clear out old inventory. Within 3 months dealer wanted to purchase TDI back and give me and exceptional trade on New Jetta. No Way! Average city driving 46-48 mpg, Interstate at 65 mph cruise, 60 mpg!

TDI, oil change every 10K miles. Fuel Economy. Diesel fuel is more expensive, but I get twice the fuel mileage. Therefore, only one fill up for everybody else's two fill ups.

I added Sirius radio, not a VW/dealer option on this model year.

Never a Regret
By Missouri Lady

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive 86 miles round trip to my job. I get an average of 48 miles per gallon on diesel. I was driving a 4 wheel drive, half ton truck which only got 14 miles per gallon. I live in St. Louis and the temperatures can be very cold. My Jetta is very reliable and fun to drive. I love it! I will buy another Jetta TDI. Thanks Volkswagen.

The heated seats.

I wish that in the winter season the heater could produce warm air a little quicker.

Great Car
By Doug

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is lots of fun to drive, especially past all of the fueling stations. I have averaged 43.5 mpg since I purchased my car. My high hileage is 52.5 low mileage is 38.6. This car has a solid build and feels safe at any speed.