2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Car
By Bellyman on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Ive had this car for 4 years and it blew a turbo at 80 000 km and the dc bus to the glow plugs at 90 km but it was all covered by vws excellent warranty and i havent had any problems since and i have 225 000 km on it now, would definately buy another.Great in the snow and of course mileage is unbeatable.

Maintenance expensive, had some trouble
By HighMileage on 02/01/09 13:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I put over 230000 km in 4 years on my Jetta. It did stay remarkably tight. Parts I had to replace include 5 wheel bearings, a dozen headlight bulbs, a new turbo for $2400., a fuel pump for $550., a turbo hose, various front end parts, e-brake cables etc. The fuel mileage is good and you think you are getting ahead but you pay it all back for the $100 oil changes and $300 every 32000km for fuel filters. My other complaint is the electrical systems, had intermittent trouble with headlights and my door lock system. For a while there I thought I owned HERBIE. Lastly, everybody loves the heated seats because a TDI takes 30 minutes of driving to actually heat up. HELLO TOYOTA HERE I COME.

Best vehicle purchase EVER!!
By cdstraw on 06/04/08 04:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Absolutely fabulous vehicle. Purchased as New Jetta's were hitting showroom and dealer wanted to clear out old inventory. Within 3 months dealer wanted to purchase TDI back and give me and exceptional trade on New Jetta. No Way! Average city driving 46-48 mpg, Interstate at 65 mph cruise, 60 mpg!

Never a Regret
By Missouri Lady on 05/20/06 20:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I drive 86 miles round trip to my job. I get an average of 48 miles per gallon on diesel. I was driving a 4 wheel drive, half ton truck which only got 14 miles per gallon. I live in St. Louis and the temperatures can be very cold. My Jetta is very reliable and fun to drive. I love it! I will buy another Jetta TDI. Thanks Volkswagen.

Great Car
By Doug on 02/27/06 09:13 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI is lots of fun to drive, especially past all of the fueling stations. I have averaged 43.5 mpg since I purchased my car. My high hileage is 52.5 low mileage is 38.6. This car has a solid build and feels safe at any speed.

2005 Jetta TDI
By john rollins on 09/08/05 03:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I am happy with the 42 mpg average on my 80 mile daily commute, averaging highway speeds of 65 to 79.999 mph. My car passes everything including the gas pumps. I'm saving about $2,500 a year on fuel driving this car. In nine years if fuel is still $2.79 per gallon the car was free. 2005 TDI GLS, leather, 5 speed, moonroof, monsoon was less than $22,000, free after 9 years of fuel savings. That's a discount program.

minor changes
By peter on 08/09/05 17:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great car, only issues, car is not level, higher in rear. Driver seat feels like you are tilted forward (falling forward), not sitting level. Also front windshield is smaller than previous Jetta's and window pillars are obstructing driver's view, saftey issues. Car has great mileage.

Perfect Econo Car
By TDIman on 06/29/05 16:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Although a Jetta might cost a little more going in, with a TDI powerplant, it can last far longer than other low- price, mid-milage cars. I don't know who said 43mpg for the TDI, but I've gotten over 55mpg. With gas prices going up, who could say no? This is my third diesel VW, and I won't drive a gasoline car again. Performance, awesome pickup, tight brakes, and lots of room to personalize with aftermarket gizmos.

TDI is a great engine
By DD on 03/13/05 15:18 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've now had the Jetta wagon with the diesel engine for about two months. Assuming it lasts (the engine assuredly will, time will tell about the rest of the car)it is a wonderful car. Comfortable, road-friendly, intelligently designed (they even have a sunglasses holder), this is a great car. And, I'm getting 40 mpg. It loves to cruise at 80 mph. Great car.

Jetta TDI #2
By VW Owner on 01/22/05 22:20 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

First Jetta TDI 2000 model was purchased used with about 40,000 Miles. Needed and automatic with good mileage for a daily 86 mile round-trip commute. Has excellent torque and good performance in traffic. After 3 years of ownership got an average of 40+ mpg. Became interested in the improved engine on the new models after 2004 which had additional torque and horsepower and also wanted an upgrade to the GLS with leather heated seats and moon roof so purchased a 2005. I have only 3,000 miles on the car but have averaged 42 MPG or better on each tank. The performance reflects the increased torque and horsepower. Am very pleased with the car.