2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Sort Reviews by

Decent investment
By michman247

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, 2.0l, 5 speed manual, with under 95k miles. So far I haven't had any problems and it runs great. Overall, the exterior and interior are fine, nothing to brag about although it is a little snug in the back. The car handles well, the power is what you'd expect out of a 4 cylinder, 1st gear is almost worthless. As far as maintenance is concerned, I can do most of the basics easily but the more advanced fixes are not cheap. If you can find one that had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and etc changed recently then you'll save yourself a couple hundred dollars. If I had the choice again, I'd probably purchase another VW.

Cheap plastic knobs are pealing
By susan

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the heated seats. Thought I would get better gas mileage. Plastic covers over knobs peeling off. Wipers come on without turning them on. Needed new timing belt, this was covered , thank god, very expensive repair. In cold weather, loud rattling noice from muffler area, was checked out, can't fix. Design problem. Right now, trying to decide whether to buy or walk away from lease.

Favorite Features

Spunky, fair gas mileage, big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Wheel covers are cheap. Better covering for knobs, not cheap plastic that melts away.

The 4 Cylinder Jetta Sucks!
By Jewel2

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had this car for a year yet and I'm already having problems. Like other owners, I have electrical problems with check engine lights coming on, coolant lights and all seem to be "fine" when checked by mechanics. Also the transmission sticks when driving. It sometimes jerks when trying to accelerate going uphill. My driver's side door squeaks when I open it. I've lost a hubcap and on a rainy day the tires slip. Also the fuel economy sucks on the highway as well so I'm left wondering, why did I buy this car?

Favorite Features

I do like the compact size and find it easy to fit into most parking spaces. I also like the design of the dash. It gets good gas mileage for staying in town and not driving much.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest the New Jetta. I hope its better than the old one.

Germans do it better!
By Lulu

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car and I've been completely happy with it. The base line model (GL) doesn't feel very base line with remote key less entry, power windows/locks, CD AM/FM and cassette, cruise control, chrome trim accents and those cool purple dash board lights. It's comfortable, reliable, nice to drive and gets good mileage. Servicing is reasonably priced and so is the car itself. I don't think the signal lights staying on were manufacturer default, but operator malfunction. Here's a tip, turn the lights OFF and they won't run your battery down. Good luck backing up in that ION. (that's a bad shape)

Favorite Features

I love the seat height adjuster- very ejector seat style! The mini sun visor over the rear view mirror is very handy. Great size trunk for a small car. (3 adults fit comfortably and 9 small children)

Suggested Improvements

I agree with Erin about the oddly placed cup holders. I think the glove box is oddly shaped as well, however I have managed to shove an obscene amount of crap in there.

Problems Already
By Problems

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Jetta used with around 30K miles on it and have had it just over a year. I love the looks of it and have enjoyed having the vehicle until now. My vehicle had 42K miles on it when I started hearing a rattling noise. Come to find out, I had to have most of my engine replaced! When I went to pick it up, I drove about 1 block from the dealership when my car started jerking and wouldn’t always accelerate when the gas was applied. I immediately drove it right back to the dealership and now I'm needing a whole new transmission! Thank God all this is covered under warranty but I don't think it's right that a car with so few miles should be having so many major problems!

Favorite Features

Overall look of the interior and exterior of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better engines and transmissions!

Vats da big Idea? German Engineering?
By Theresar

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta has A/C vents located to blow in every direction but the direction you need them to blow. Its directional lights stay on when you shut the vehicle off, if you don't realize this it will run your battery down. My car's alarm system flew the coop after four months. The A/C is barely A/C, don't buy this car if you live in a hot area, my daughter's Saturn ION cools 10x better. Its seat covers ball up like a cheap sweater in a dryer. This car's overall shape makes it difficult to back up as visibility even for a tall person is limited

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Redesign entire vehicle. This car truly stinks.

Overall a very good economy car
By Erin C

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta is a great car. The base model doesn't have a ton of power, but it will get out of its own way for sure. The front seats are comfortable for a small car. The back seat is very tight. Kids and small adults fit fine, anyone larger will have a hard time. The automatic trunk release is a nice feature also. The cruise control works great and isn't 'jerky' like some vehicles. There is some road noise when driving but the great monsoon stereo will cover that up. There should be more pockets or storage areas in the Jetta, the cup holders are placed in a weird spot and are not very convenient, but there are 3 in the middle and two more in the glove box (not sure why).

Favorite Features

Middle sun visor over the rear view mirror. Comfortable front seat. Huge trunk and fold down flat back seats. Handles great. Air/Heat get to temperature very quickly. Good stock stereo. Auto window controls. Rear head rests. Great gas mileage. Nice looking car. Lock down floor mats down slide.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control settings are behind the steering wheel so you can't see them from normal sitting position. Cup holders should be more conveniently placed. Seatbelt could be lowered about another inch from over the shoulder. Back seat needs more leg room. Lever vs turn knob for seat back moving.