2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Don't Buy!!!
By ssg91 on 11/14/14 08:44 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car for the purpose of getting great MPG. Although you do get good MPG you spend so much more money in maintenance that are you farther behind. My car has 162,000 miles on it. The dealership says the dual mass flywheel is bad, Alternator pulley is bad, Axel, and a few other things. If I would fix everything that the dealership says needs to be fixed I would spend more money than the car is valued at on kelley blue book. If you have this car, sell is as quickly as possible before it turns into a boat anchor.... I am getting a ford fusion.

NOT A RELIABLE CAR!
By saint13 on 09/16/14 08:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2005 Volkswagen jetta GLI. At 65,000 miles, my timing belt snapped and it left me on the side of the highway. Had major costly engine damage. Since then the fabric has been coming off all over the interior of the car. It constantly needs to be in the shop. It worked great but its not reliable due to the fact at 60,000 plus miles its a mechanical nightmare!

Good daily commuter car. Not fun.
By ajt36 on 08/06/14 20:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We've owned our 2.5L Jetta since new, but I've been driving it since about 44K miles. Now has 127K. This is a well-built, full-featured, and generally dependable daily commuter. New it was $27K and it has some features missing on my wife's $50K 2011 Audi A4. While it is a good "A to B" car, there is nothing fun or inspiring about this car. If that is not a priority in your car ownership, then no worries, the interior amenities will more than make up for it. But if you want something that's fun on the on/off ramps, and inspires confidence when you go to pass, then the 2.5L 5 cyl. is not your engine. Go with the 2.0 Turbo. Just regular maintenance, but some inconvenient repairs.

Pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside
By eder_cheddar on 04/28/14 17:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I got my car used with 62k miles on it. As soon as I got it, the car kept breaking down on me time after time. Maybe I got a lemon, who knows. I had a tiny piece of plastic connecting my inter coolant break on me that crippled my car and was a $3 piece of plastic I got at O'Reilly's. It's terrible that you don't have the transmission oil easily accessible. You have to take it to a mechanic to get lifted so they can access it. My favorite/current issue is the transmission that crapped out on me 3 times. I currently have had the car for 72K miles and it's ridiculous to have this occur so soon.

Great car, but high maintenance
By cl002004 on 10/02/13 14:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 8 years now. I'm not really a car enthusiast, just need something to comfortably take me from point a to point b without any issues. It does exactly what I need it to do most of the time. The only thing is that unexpectedly random things will go wrong with it. In the past 8 years, power steering broke, oil leaked, trunk door got stuck, and my favorite, the ignition lock(?) broke so that my key would not go in the ignition. Very costly to get these issues fixed, on top of high regular maintenance costs. Replacing the ignition lock cost $700 + towing expenses.

Frustrated beyond belief
By frustrated77 on 08/01/13 09:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Nothing but trouble. Wiring issues, now transmission hard shifts. Problem is extremely common via Google search. VW dealership just says needs new transmission and denies knowing anything about it, though there has even been at least one attempted class action lawsuit. DO NOT BUY!!!

7 years and counting
By walter67 on 06/13/12 13:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

1st owner of my 2005 Jetta Diesel, have station wagon auto trans. Travel from North East to Florida each year, so it has avoided winter salty roads. I've replace the timing belt at 85,000 miles to be on safe side. Will need new rubber on my struts both normal ware. Still have original brake pads at 90,000 miles at every oil change I expect to be told its time to change so far not yet. Fuel economy.... average 34 to 39 miles per gallon I can get 42 miles on a gallon if I drive at my RPM sweet spot which is 38 to 41 miles an hour, at that speed you will get the 42 per gallon. Would I buy this vehicle again YOU BETCHA I would. Paid $21,5000 in Jan of 20005

Jetta problems
By jettanomore05 on 06/09/12 18:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new. This car has the worst paint job I have ever had. The front of the car seems to have many little dots of paint missing. Now I have a history of driving many cars in my youth on gravel roads but never with this car. I cannot account for this problem. I had to have something replaced in the transmission early on due to horrible thud sound. It still does this at times but they cannot find reason. THe car has been carefully maintained but I just had to replace water pump, tensioners, thermastat, and because of this timing belt was also recommended. Total cost was over $1,050.00. Car has only 59,000 miles on it and is gently driven.

05 jetta in the desert
By joshkellerpa on 04/24/12 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I own an 05 VW jetta GL and a 05 vw bug. I dont know about later years or earlyer. But on my 05 jetta the crank pully has snaped off on its own. We have had to replace the water pump EVERY SUMMER.(hot weather area). I have gotten it replaced at a VW dealership for the majority. Now why did they never recomend to get the metal impeler? Why hasnt this model of water pump been recalled? We have gotten our engine rebuilt 2 times for a grand total of $10,000+. 1 of these engines was rebuilt at a VW dealershit. THEY LEFT SOME KIND OF AIR PUMP ON MY ENGINE. told me to bad thats were it goes. the second time by beatle barn las vegas and they gave me my car back in worse condition then b4 it blew.

Decent investment
By michman247 on 02/08/12 13:48 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, 2.0l, 5 speed manual, with under 95k miles. So far I haven't had any problems and it runs great. Overall, the exterior and interior are fine, nothing to brag about although it is a little snug in the back. The car handles well, the power is what you'd expect out of a 4 cylinder, 1st gear is almost worthless. As far as maintenance is concerned, I can do most of the basics easily but the more advanced fixes are not cheap. If you can find one that had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and etc changed recently then you'll save yourself a couple hundred dollars. If I had the choice again, I'd probably purchase another VW.