Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Best Car Ever!
By Anthony

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GL PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Best Car Ever
By Kristi

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been going thru the reviews and have seen a lot of bad reviews. I actually love my 2005 New Jetta 2.5 model. I bought it used with 50000 miles in 2009. It now has 150000 miles. Last year I did have some costly repairs but it sure was cheaper than buying a new car. I drive my car for work and I feel confident that it won't leave me stranded and she never had! My Jetta has a chain timing belt, so no issues with the engine. With a rubber timing belt breaks can and do happen on every make and model of vehicles. If you have a rubber belt, check it periodically because they wear.

Overall, I love my car! I love the leatherette material, the heated seats, the rain scenored wipers, the ESP for stability, comfort and good fuel efficiency even today.

Don't Buy!!!
By ssg91

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car for the purpose of getting great MPG. Although you do get good MPG you spend so much more money in maintenance that are you farther behind. My car has 162,000 miles on it. The dealership says the dual mass flywheel is bad, Alternator pulley is bad, Axel, and a few other things. If I would fix everything that the dealership says needs to be fixed I would spend more money than the car is valued at on kelley blue book. If you have this car, sell is as quickly as possible before it turns into a boat anchor.... I am getting a ford fusion.

NOT A RELIABLE CAR!
By saint13

2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have a 2005 Volkswagen jetta GLI. At 65,000 miles, my timing belt snapped and it left me on the side of the highway. Had major costly engine damage. Since then the fabric has been coming off all over the interior of the car. It constantly needs to be in the shop. It worked great but its not reliable due to the fact at 60,000 plus miles its a mechanical nightmare!

Good daily commuter car. Not fun.
By ajt36

2005 Volkswagen Jetta New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We've owned our 2.5L Jetta since new, but I've been driving it since about 44K miles.
Now has 127K.
This is a well-built, full-featured, and generally dependable daily commuter.
New it was $27K and it has some features missing on my wife's $50K 2011 Audi A4.

While it is a good "A to B" car, there is nothing fun or inspiring about this car.
If that is not a priority in your car ownership, then no worries, the interior amenities will more than make up for it.
But if you want something that's fun on the on/off ramps, and inspires confidence when you go to pass, then the 2.5L 5 cyl. is not your engine.
Go with the 2.0 Turbo.
Just regular maintenance, but some inconvenient repairs.

We have the mid-package model (leather/moonroof w/o Nav). The seats on this car are great. Power, 11 or 14 way adjustable. Very comfortable. Above-average sound system from a manufacturer. Respectable 28 - 30 mpg highway on my daily 80 mile roundtrip commute (the first and last 2 or 3 miles are "city" driving). Useful trip computer, iPod and/or BT easily added (though not cheap even 9 years later).

This is my second VW (previous was a 97 GTI). Both developed shorts. The Jetta's wiring harness that controls the windows shorted out and needed to be replaced (~$400.00). We had an oil pan leak early on in ownership which was covered under warranty. The driver's fender rusted on the inside and a golf ball sized patch of rust developed on the driver's rocker panel last year. To its credit, VW covered it under the rust warranty with no hassle. Rubber coating on interior buttons/dials wears off. Looks cheap. Performance is underwhelming, especially from a company that prides itself on "Das Auto." The 2.0 turbo was not available at the time, or we would have gone that route.