6 of 6 people found this review helpful
Excellent car for what it is
By darksim905 on
2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
I've owned this car for a solid 10 years & have had minimal issues. After 10 years, every car will start falling apart & showing it's issues. That being said my ''major'' issues that I have had are below. The car runs great if you take care of it & maintain it. I'm not sure what everyone else does with their vehicle, but I love my Jetta & will buy another as a project car once I manage to run this into the ground. 110k miles & going strong.
* Radio is excellent & sounds great even from the day I purchased it
* Constantly fun to drive - engine feels fast (enough though it probably isn't...)
* Handling - Easy to maneuver in & out of traffic
* Headlights are reliable, albeit prone to yellowing
* Blue backlight on HUD is AWESOME
* Impeller in the water pump is plastic, it will fail. You will have to get it replaced in the first 40k miles depending on owner drives it.
* STS & other vendors are aware of this & will replace it with correct HD parts if necessary.
* Window may fall in the door, only had this happen on passenger side
* Front bumper skirt too low
* Prone to rust on driver side door hinge & hood latch
* Plastic finish on the radio, steering wheel, etc will come off if you're too abrasive or use wrong cleaning product
* Headlights prone to yellow tint, also plastic
* "Sealed" transmission fluid/system?! :(
* Horrible wind noise :( Stereo makes up for it though :)