2004 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Great car so far

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GL 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Great car so far
By capitananchor on

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I think this car has been very reliable so far. Sure a few things have needed to be replaced but I think you can expect that. At 65K miles, my water pump went, unfortunately the impeller is made of plastic and I couldn't find anyone that made a non plastic impeller pump. I had the CV joints replaced around 70K mostly due to me taking curves like I was a nascar driver. My car is 7 years old and the battery, alternator, exhaust, are still original so I'm really impressed...so I will not be shocked when any of those need replacing soon. At 76K miles, I had a coolant leak that was coming form the cooling hose flange...it's a $20 part, if you have the time I would just replace that myself.

Favorite Features

Turbo, like the extra features the GLI came with, fuel economy is good, I love the way the GLI looks,

Suggested Improvements

The car is too small, the recaro seats are nice but the driver side seat is coming apart in two different spots. The windows have become detached in winter since they freeze and stick to the rubber insulation on the door.