Gets the job done
By docta96 on
2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)
This is my 10th VW. I bought it as a Certified used car from a dealer rather than a 2006 model since I wanted a factory tape deck. This is my third diesel and is, by far, the best. I spend quite a lot of time in the car and it is does everything well. The Monsoon sound system is great except for poor AM reception that the dealer has been unable to correct. Although I drive the car briskly and primarily non-city, the fuel consumption has been 48 - 49 MPG over the last 7,000 miles. The cruise control, despite less than optimal placement, is dead-on accurate. The car handles well, has excellent brakes and the ESP system works flawlessly. The trunk capacity is good, but the rear seat room is below average.
Favorite Features
The TDI-PD engine economy, good handling, nice leather seats, precise handling, ESP, steering wheel adjustability and wheel mounted controls; German feel at at a reasonable price.
Suggested Improvements
Move the cruise control operation to a more user-friendly location, increase fuel capacity, add more rear seat room, and offer the 2.0 liter Passat diesel. Correct the radio problem that seems to be endemic to many Jettas, or in the alternative, execute a recall and advise the dealers on correcting the problem.