I've owned this car for a solid 10 years & have had minimal issues. After 10 years, every car will start falling apart & showing it's issues. That being said my ''major'' issues that I have had are below. The car runs great if you take care of it & maintain it. I'm not sure what everyone else does with their vehicle, but I love my Jetta & will buy another as a project car once I manage to run this into the ground. 110k miles & going strong.
* Radio is excellent & sounds great even from the day I purchased it
* Constantly fun to drive - engine feels fast (enough though it probably isn't...)
* Handling - Easy to maneuver in & out of traffic
* Headlights are reliable, albeit prone to yellowing
* Blue backlight on HUD is AWESOME
* Impeller in the water pump is plastic, it will fail. You will have to get it replaced in the first 40k miles depending on owner drives it.
* STS & other vendors are aware of this & will replace it with correct HD parts if necessary.
* Window may fall in the door, only had this happen on passenger side
* Front bumper skirt too low
* Prone to rust on driver side door hinge & hood latch
* Plastic finish on the radio, steering wheel, etc will come off if you're too abrasive or use wrong cleaning product
* Headlights prone to yellow tint, also plastic
* "Sealed" transmission fluid/system?! :(
* Horrible wind noise :( Stereo makes up for it though :)
† Edmunds.com received the highest numerical score in the proprietary J.D. Power 2014 Third-Party Automotive Website Evaluation Study℠. Results based on responses from 3,381 responses, measuring 14 companies and measures third-party automotive website usefulness among new and used vehicle shoppers. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed from January 2014. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.