Excellent car for what it is
By darksim905 on
2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
I've owned this car for a solid 10 years & have had minimal issues. After 10 years, every car will start falling apart & showing it's issues. That being said my ''major'' issues that I have had are below. The car runs great if you take care of it & maintain it. I'm not sure what everyone else does with their vehicle, but I love my Jetta & will buy another as a project car once I manage to run this into the ground. 110k miles & going strong.
Favorite Features
* Radio is excellent & sounds great even from the day I purchased it * Constantly fun to drive - engine feels fast (enough though it probably isn't...) * Handling - Easy to maneuver in & out of traffic * Headlights are reliable, albeit prone to yellowing * Blue backlight on HUD is AWESOME
Suggested Improvements
* Impeller in the water pump is plastic, it will fail. You will have to get it replaced in the first 40k miles depending on owner drives it. * STS & other vendors are aware of this & will replace it with correct HD parts if necessary. * Window may fall in the door, only had this happen on passenger side * Front bumper skirt too low * Prone to rust on driver side door hinge & hood latch * Plastic finish on the radio, steering wheel, etc will come off if you're too abrasive or use wrong cleaning product * Headlights prone to yellow tint, also plastic * "Sealed" transmission fluid/system?! :( * Horrible wind noise :( Stereo makes up for it though :)