2004 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Excellent car for what it

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent car for what it is
By darksim905 on

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for a solid 10 years & have had minimal issues. After 10 years, every car will start falling apart & showing it's issues. That being said my ''major'' issues that I have had are below. The car runs great if you take care of it & maintain it. I'm not sure what everyone else does with their vehicle, but I love my Jetta & will buy another as a project car once I manage to run this into the ground. 110k miles & going strong.

Favorite Features

* Radio is excellent & sounds great even from the day I purchased it * Constantly fun to drive - engine feels fast (enough though it probably isn't...) * Handling - Easy to maneuver in & out of traffic * Headlights are reliable, albeit prone to yellowing * Blue backlight on HUD is AWESOME

Suggested Improvements

* Impeller in the water pump is plastic, it will fail. You will have to get it replaced in the first 40k miles depending on owner drives it. * STS & other vendors are aware of this & will replace it with correct HD parts if necessary. * Window may fall in the door, only had this happen on passenger side * Front bumper skirt too low * Prone to rust on driver side door hinge & hood latch * Plastic finish on the radio, steering wheel, etc will come off if you're too abrasive or use wrong cleaning product * Headlights prone to yellow tint, also plastic * "Sealed" transmission fluid/system?! :( * Horrible wind noise :( Stereo makes up for it though :)