2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great Compromise
By DriverTDI on 04/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

MY Jetta TDI is a great great automobile. I average 47mpg with combination driving (75 city/25 hwy), it doesn't take off like a 3.5 Altima..but then again an Altima (no matter what engine) can't get 50mpg...ever. It can, however, get out into traffic with no problems...was pleasantly surprised at it's ability to go from a stop. It is loads more comfortable than the Corolla I traded in on it, which is important when travelling more than 2 hours at a time. The has great build quality, and is surprisingly quiet on the road too.

2nd VW and still lovin it
By Crisi13 on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I just traded my 2000 JETTA GLS TDI for you guessed it a 2004 JETTA GLS TDI. Yes, I had the typical Jetta problems, the windows and the cupholders. Both were warranty items and only a minor inconvenience when you look at the overall picture. In four years I drove my Jetta across country TWICE, with the only major problem being a faulty mass air flow meter. Otherwise oil changes are the only maintenance I've had to do in 60,800 miles. I hope my new Jetta gives me as al times I've opted to save money great of gas mileage and miles of pleasure that the first one did! By the way the ONLY reason I got a new one is because I HAD to have a moonroof!

Reliable & Extrodinary transportation
By Rorich1 on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great overall performer. With the five speed and the turbo-diesel engine I can zip up and down the mountains of Colorado and still approach 50 MPG. Comfort, (I am 6'2" tall and have plenty of leg and head room), performance, handling this jetta with the GLS option has it all.

2004 PD TDI WAGON
By Richard Rothschild on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This is my second VW TDI. Other cars include a Mercedes and Corvette. The new 2004 PD TDI has noticably more torque and more power, however, fuel mileage is not quite as good as the 2000-2003 TDI's. I got 45 -50 mpg on last TDI; 2004 PD TDI gets about 40-45 mpg... still very good. I would avoid the light beige cloth interior... too hard to keep clean. (I known this from my 2000 TDI). Overall, very happy with car and would highly recommend.

Great Car
By lovediving on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great cars nothing more to say about them 51 mpg on the hiway running 70mph with the air on what more can some one ask

I'm in Love with my TDI
By yamsTDi on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've had the car for a little over 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it. The drive is smooth, mileage is great and the turbo gives great performance. Most people think that you need to sit and wait for glow plugs for a couple minutes, that the TDI is loud, and that they stink. ALL NOT TRUE!The interior is great; very comforting. At night the dash glows with the red-blue combination. It looks great! Also, a great resource for TDI information (besides edmunds.com) is tdiclub.com. Check it out and the car. You'll love it!

buy one-you'll love it !!
By yorkiemama on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car handles great and isn't as loud as you think ,especially when you're saving all that gas!This is my second diesel vw jetta-last one was a sedan and they're just great! Not much difference in the parking than the sedan because these 2 cars are only 1 and 1/2 inches in length different!

GREAT CAR
By tmeier on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my TDI wagon brand new and have been driving it for about a year now and am still wild about it. This is a great car, fun to drive, looks more expensive than it is and has tons of whistles & bells. I've not had one problem with it and get lots of comments about what a great looking car it is. It has so much power you would never imagine it was a diesel and since the price of gas just keeps going higher and highter I love the unbelievable mileage. Great ride & handling & plenty of room in the hatch to carry anything I need.

great on gas
By kirkyowe on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

what a fun car to drive. it certainly helps that it gets on a bad week 50 mpg.. cant beat that ..

First VW
By Guinco on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

A great experience I will surely buy VW again