2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
john's tdi
By carolinaherdfan on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

have driven across the usa, been in snow hip high in the tetons'. not one disappointment through nearly 42000 miles.

Got 53 MPG!
By Steve & Vicki on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought my new Jetta Wagon in July 03, In August we drove from Indpls,IN to Ocean City MD and averaged 48+ MPG.It's a 5 speed stick and now I'm averaging 52 MPG. very pleased with the car the sound system is excellent,(monsoon) It's a very efficient little vehicle. I recomend it highly the best Milage I've achieved is 57 MPG. I look forward to many years of fun driving ahead!

Great car for the money
By Mike33444 on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great gas mileage - 36 city and 48 highway. Comfy, yet not overdone with luxury items. All of the features you need in a wagon at a great price. New engine gives 100 HP and does make it move - for a diesel. Compared it to others - Suburu, Volvo, Audi - and they don't come close to value and price.

Ask how much to change the oil.
By keiller on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've found only two oil brands that are certified for use in the new diesel. My dealer charges $70/oil change. They will sell a quart for $10/qt. Otherwise you may need to find Motul oil on line to order. That's what I plan to do. The dealership seems confused about the oil situation. I don't want to take my car fo them for care.

Coming back to VW - Why did I leave?
By ToledoTom on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I LOVE the car! Not quite getting the gas milage I expect going 75 & 80 on I- 75 probaly doesn't help! Car is Super Quiet and LOVES to Go FAST,interior areas improved over Wife's New Beetle, cup holders are great and the back slides out for easier accessability. Security system is the greatest and doors are solid with inbeam construction. Oil changes are seasonal 6000 to 9000 miles because they come with Synthetic motor oil LOVE my Jetta Wagon - have 2105 miles and only 8 days old! Have exterior options on like - fitted mud flaps, Chrome foot pedals, window wind shades and decals or front bra, really makes the differance!

vw
By "J R" on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Fine auto, great mileage and more power than expected in a Diesel

2004 Jetta 1.9L. TDI Diesel
By W.J. Herrington on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Great value for the selling price. Averaging 35 mpg in city and 45 mpg on the highway. More than enough power,superior handling, build quality, comfortable, recommend the leather seating package. Dealers can be difficult to negotiate with since they are selling everyone they can get. I have this Jetta 645 miles on a single tank (14.5 gallons) of diesel fuel.

Excellence Pure Excellence
By Mollie Sauers on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I absolutely LOVE this Car. I will remain with a Jetta TDI GLS it's the perfect Sports car!!

Fun to Drive Car with low Gas Mileage!!
By maruxue on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I love my TDI. We consistently get great gas mileage, plus the car has so much power it's like a little sports car.

Best Wagon for the Money!
By structoman on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Compared a Subaru Outback Wagon, an Audi A4 Quattro Wagon, a Volvo V70 Wagon, and a VW Jetta Wagon. I eliminated the Subaru because Japanese cars are just to plastic on the interior. I narrowed it down to the Audi, Volvo and VW and compared everything- from quality of components, performance, comfort and space and decided on the VW Jetta. The diesel engine has great torque and sips fuel. It is solidly built, good looking and was $10k less (paid $21k) than the Audi or Volvo. It is identical to the Audi A4 Quattro Avant Wagon, except that it is front-wheel drive and not all-wheel drive.