Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Fun to drive
By nappo

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having gone over the years through Volvo, Mercedes, Oldsmobile, Toyota and many different models VW, from a 56 beetle to a Vanagon camper, I am back having fun driving in my 04 TDI. In spite of having the odd expense that needs fixing (are there any car's that do not??) this car is an absolute joy to be in. The seats (mine is the "Sport" edition)are firm and comfy, and the acceleration and general performance not to mention the excellent fuel economy are yet hard to beat in a combined package as it is. Great headroom too, in spite of the sun/moonroof. I just love it!

Favorite Features

Great shifting gearbox, quickly heating seats, performance, fuel economy, great all-round visibility, electric and heated mirrors, muffled sound signal when using the keys to lock the car, rather then the loud annoying horn on many cars when doing this at night.

Suggested Improvements

Better access to the arm rest storage as it gets in the way of the emergency brake, (has been improved on newer models already), maybe wider more useful protection mouldings along the doors to protect from careless nicks and bangs from other driver doors in parking lots.

I'll Only Buy VW
By luckylindy03

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this is the second jetta i have owned and i have to say that it is by far the best one. I read the bad reviews and the good reviews and it seems like there are a fair amount of lemons out there. Thank GOD i didn't get one, but i have to say that you really can't beat German Engineering. I will never buy another car that isn't a VW. Everything about the car is a blast. The exterior of the car is great and i get looks everywhere i go. The interior is great too with the brushed aluminum and recaro seats (which can get a little weary after a long trip).

Favorite Features

Style, Performance, Comfort. Its all there with this car. The suspension is real stiff the steering is quick, throttle response could be quicker but hey, with the turbo kicking in 13psi of boost... who cares?

Suggested Improvements

i can't even say that leg room in the back would be nice, because i never sit back there. I honestly can't think of anything that i want on it, other than the K04S turbo as standard instead of the K03.

Ugh! Headache within 2 months!
By David

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Truthfully do not waste your time with this car... I got this car used at 64k miles... Exterior and Interior was BEAUTIFUL. 2 weeks after I have the car my check engine light come on. Take it back to the dealership they check it... it's the AC temp gauge. They replace it... 2 days later the check engine light come on again. Take back to the dealership and they ask me to bring it back when I can use give up some time... later that day my dies. every dashboard light comes on and my ac and radio stops working... its been almost 2 weeks and the dealership can figure out what wrong with this car. I had a friend with a year older model and the same occurred with his car...

Favorite Features

AC, Stero, HorsePower for a 4-clynder, Overall look and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Expensive car to repair and to many issues occur with the engine before 60k miles.

Don't get a VW
By kdl

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my graduation gift. They replaced the whole brake system, the front end, and the door jam. I hate this car. The seats are stiff. Now the dash cluster is going. What is up? Thought VW was a good car. WRONG. Next one will be a Honda

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Blow it up

Disgruntled In Denver
By DisgruntledInDenver

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my dream car. I bought it used,(certified pre-owned), but it came with no warranty. The car drove great for a year and a half and around the summer of '09 I noticed several little changes in the performance of the vehicle. I brought the car to a VW garage and explained that I was having issues with the acceleration, as well as a ticking noise that came from under the hood while idling. The car was also making a loud whining noise as I accelerated and the engine thermostat light kept coming on. $6500 later and a new transmission, timing belt, water pump and tensioners, the car runs great. My only thought was, $6500, really? This is not a car for young people in college. Expensive!

Favorite Features

The interior and exterior of the car is great. It definitely turns heads (even as a 5 year old car) as a drive down the street. VW has really mastered the concept of creature comfort details to the interior. The gas mileage is amazing with this car and holds its own against the newer hybrids.

Suggested Improvements

I guess I'm still stumped as to why a car that is supposed to be the epitome of its model, with all the bugs worked out, at only 70k miles, needs to have such extensive work done. This car should have lasted over 100k (at least) before any of these problems became an issue. Shame on VW!