2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I still love my Jetta :)
By sistert on 05/03/07 07:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow-up from the initial review I wrote on July 12, 2004 when my Jetta was almost brand new. I have not had any problems with my Jetta thus far. (I've driven about 26,000 miles.) The gas mileage is fantastic for long road trips on the interstate where you can drive a steady 65-75 mph. I most often drive my car short distances with a stop sign every block and the gas mileage is very low.

Great Car!
By Helen on 02/26/07 09:37 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

As the owner of a pre-turbo 1986 VW diesel I was certain of the car I wanted. I found it online, bought it and test drove it on the way home. The two big tests came when I approached the 45 mph S turns and the long, steep hill I travel frequently. My older diesel struggled to crest the hill at 50 mph after down shifting. The TDI sailed through the S turns at 65 mph and easily maintained 65 up the hill in 5th gear using cruise control. The power, handling through curves, and smooth transmission have made driving a fun experience. VW also seems to have improved the interior plastic parts problems. I hope I can get 18 trouble free years from the TDI just as I did from the '86.

Meet the Jettasons!
By Sean Go on 02/23/07 17:24 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Man, I recently purchased an '04 Jetta Turbo and it is a blast to drive! I had an SUV and am loving the gas mileage of this awesome car. The manual tranny is a must....what fun! The Jetta holds the road quite well and when you need power, it's there baby! I have and will continue to be impressed with this little German (but made in Mexico) firecracker. The back seats that fold down are terrific! It's a nice car.

Jetta137
By Jetta137 on 02/03/07 18:30 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my fifth VW Jetta. This car is the best one that I have ever had. I have never had a problem with it. The Jetta GLI is nice but not reliable. It also doesn't have heated seats, armrest, and more stuff. The GLS has got EVERYTHING. It's a luxury car. The GLS is better for transportation. Right now my Jetta has 74,500 miles. It is a great car and fun to drive. You will love the GLS TURBO. What a great car!

Fun Car
By richmond20657 on 12/12/06 22:00 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The pros of my 2007 Jetta GLS TDI include excellent fuel mileage, reliability, and excellent handling for its size. The cons are VW's terrible dealer service and a few rattles here and there.

TDI Performance
By BT on 10/26/06 17:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This car gets excellent fuel millage. It gets anywhere between 33 and 35 mpg around town and 45 to 53 mpg on the highway. The best millage comes when driving 55 - 60 mph. This car is fun to drive. It has plenty of power.

Can't Stop Redlining!
By JT on 08/09/06 12:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had the car for a year. I have had only one problem, the front rotors were replaced (wrapped). Thats it. I have had no electrical problems at all. I do have ratles in the doors though. This car is fun to drive and really holds on the turns. Also, this car's ECU can be reprogrammed to increase the HP. So if your looking for more HP for cheap.. it can be done. Doing this completly changes the car. It's still a beautiful car even today.

VW 4 dr Jetta GLS Review
By jstich on 06/25/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I hear occasional creaking from the door and under the dash area when driving (mostly when making fast turns or going over bumps). This is my only problem with the car, aside from its seemingly lower gas mileage for a car of its size. I was told at a VW dealership that the body was re- enforced by 50% on the new body style, so that is definitely something to consider.

Get a good one!
By Mike P on 05/30/06 15:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned a Jetta for 3 years, first I owned a 2003 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta. I recently upgraded to a 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T and loved them both. The old one was a nice car and very reliable, but the new one is unbelievable. I recommend you don't waste your money on a cheap Volkswagen and make sure to get one that is high quality.

Diesel UPDATE
By sprouty on 05/21/06 09:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I originally reviewed this car on 1/15/05, and I just wanted to give an update. Now at 35,000 miles, the car is still a delight. Now that fuel prices have surged well past $3.00/gallon we enjoy the great mileage all the more (now averaging 43-44 MPG). The car has been 100% reliable and durable - much more so than our 2001 VR6 was. We obviously love the fuel economy, but the TDI engine is also wonderful for low- down torque. You never have to wind this engine to find the power. It's right on tap and very smooth. With 4 snow tires, it's great in the winter. Factor in the wagon versatility, great comfort, a fun and spunky driving personality, and the car is a winner all-around. I hope the new ones come as wagons.