Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I Miss the Good Ol' Days
By Ally

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Alright 2004 Jetta drivers... I see quite a bit of discrepancies in the reviews of this vehicle (or junker, lemon, superb car). Hmmm. Perhaps those of us who (ahem) drive the 2004 V-Dead/V-Dud received a similar factory model. Those rated this Jetta at 9 or 10; consider yourselves "the lucky ones." I owned a 1998 VW Wolfsburg Jetta prior to this 2004 lemon. I loved that 1998 with my heart and soul. Unfortunately I was rear ended and the car deemed "totaled." Now I am stuck with this. Wrought with problems between breaks, stalling, adjusters, recalls; heck I am getting a migraine thinking about it.

The radio/CD player. Man I love having a radio scanner on my steering wheel. Even better I receive more stations than any other vehicle owner. Furthermore the CD player reads virtually destroyed Compact Discs.

Don't get me started. VW should revamp the methods they use to construct cars... go back to the good ol' days of the nineties. Hey the cars were more eye-appealing and were of a higher quality.

DISAPPOINTED IN VW
By # 1 Queen

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Where to begin... tail lights flicker on/off and then go completely out on numerous occasion. Plastic fins in water pump rot away, causing car to overheat while driving. Clicking noise coming from dash by hazard lights button. Extremely stiff suspension. Door ajar light on/doors trunk closed, interior light switch doesn't work properly. Trunk/gas release fell into door, sunroof switch doesnt work correctly. Piece of junk- had a 94 Golf and 98 Passat, loved them- hate this!

It is quick for a 4 cylinder.

TOO MANY TO LIST

Love The VDUB Jetta
By SBall0825

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Haven t had this car too long but long enough to grow so accustomed to it... I have a friend whose a VW enthusiast and he told me how fun the little 1.8t is. Man was he right. Its a quick car with all the luxuries you'll ever need. Near flawless interior and of course the exterior is gorgeous.. Beautiful all around. I'm loving this car.

Gorgeous interior and gauge cluster at night... Pretty blue. Wheels, general look of the car.. And I love the fact that there are so many more cosmetic enhancements you can make to make it perfectly suited just for your own personal taste. Awesome.

Electric seats would be Nice... Somewhat hard to adjust and rear legroom isn't all that great. And we all complain of the maintenance costs being so high... Yeah its a bummer but what do you expect.. German engineering means higher bills.. But I am sure its all worth it in the end.

Go get one!
By SEANGO18

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car w / 85000 miles on it, and have loved it ever since. Only problem has been an ignition coil that went out. (coil #2) Pays off to do your own work on these, and buy the Bentley manual. If you have a laptop computer and the VAGCOM software, you're set! These cars can get you in trouble if you treat them like a car from Japan, so be careful. If you want a car to get you from point A to point B without any joy, get a Toyota or Honda. You want to have some fun and be in a very safe car, get one of these. Follow the Maint. schedule, and change that oil every 3-4K with full synthetic, you'll love this car.........just as I do.

Exterior design, ease of controls, and the 17" rims are sweet! Manny transmission and turbo are a blast! Coming up on 116,000 miles and runs like new. Take care of it......it'll take care of you.

Make the center arm rest a bit more solid......which I am sure they have addressed. Other than that........none.

GARBAGE!
By xtr3medriver

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my July of 2006. It ran wonderful in the summer but as soon as winter came around it started dying on me. I started to notice every time the temp outside went under 30 degrees, my car wouldn't run. We took it to the mechanics and had the alternator, battery, plugs & wires all replaced. It still would die. Then we took it in and had the whole wire harness replaced, it seemed to work for a few days then started dying again. We've taken it to the dealership and they cant even figure out what the problem is.

the style is wonderful

don't compact everything so much.