Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Far-From-Pumping
By diesel-nut

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Just hit 25,000 miles and loving every second with this car. Fun to drive, sips the fuel, and plenty of power to spare. I've added a Thule luggage basket, tinted the windows, and added a trailer hitch. This car looks awesome!

Power plant - the 1.9 diesel is fantastic. 45mpg combined city/hwy and plenty of power. Heated seats are real nice too. Monsoon sound system is great - no need to upgrade this unit.

A stiffer suspension would make cornering that much more fun, but then that would take away from the crusing comfort.

Utilitarian Bullet
By 100hp

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

There is no better work car! BEST FEATURE: I can drive in 3rd gear at speeds as low as 15 mph allow many turns without shifting, permitting me to eat while driving in heavy traffic. The handbrake is conveniently positioned for handbrake turns unlike many manufacturers. Sit in the back and experience a hungry growl not heard in the front! The car cleans up in easily too when splattered with mud on the inside. How's it on the freeway? 70 mph is an idle. 90 mph is where is feels right. 110 mph is a little noisy. Pickup on icy terrain is so exceptional that you realize 4-wheel drive is unecessary in northern urban areas.

The sound of the car!!! I drove a bmw 325ci and what a numb experience that is. The Jetta has been sensory engineered to give the right amount of noise and vibration to know what the heck your actually doing while behind the wheel! Young kids would get indoctrinated to VW by the back seat growl.

By 20K miles, need to fork out good wad of cash for oil, filters, etc. Well, this better pay off! There is an annoying crackle from the rear left tweeter.

Just love my Jetta!
By beejay

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I usually just drive to work and back in traffic, and I get excellent mileage. My only complaint is that I can't buy diesel at Costco. I took my first long trip and it really handled those windy, curvy roads securely. My previous car, a Honda Accord, can't compare to this little car. It is so much fun to drive! The only thing I find fault with is the placement of the seatbelt. I'm only 5'3", and it rides above my shoulder, and it almost cuts into my neck.

great handling, large trunk space,

Great car to own/drive
By Mike

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The TDI wagon has been a great car - few problem, great mileage, comfortable, and it can carry all of the things you need. I installed a tow hitch on mine to drag a GTX 4TEC Sea Doo and it has no problems getting it out of the water. We do get some funny looks as the PWC is almost as big as the car. Our golden retriever has not offered any complaints about riding in it. It performs well for a diesel - no sluggishness from this car. You step on the gas and go!

Incredible mileage - I average 41 in the city and 45 on the highway. This drops to about 33-35 during the summer using the A/C. Still, you can't beat it. Multifuntional - as I use for a commuter car, our family car, and our fun car.

A little more leg room for the back seats - maybe move them a few inches to the rear? The AM radio reception is truly terrible. The dealer blames it on the installation - long wire runs throughout the vehicle body, but who knows.

VW Diesel Rocks!
By Jenny Solomon

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great little car. I run it using Biodiesel, which makes good sense to me. Better for the environment. Only complaint is the seats aren't comfortable and the gaps between the seats are difficult to clean and reach those items that just disappear! Exterior paint scratches easily. Windows are tight when electronically moved up and down. Great performance and holding on curves. Love the mileage anyhwere from 45-55 mpg. All around, would highly recommend this turbodiesel engine. No bad odors and It flys!

Cinnamon Red Color. Heated seats and windows. Handling ease. Great mileage. Wonderful safety features. Stability control.

More comfortable front seats. More leg room in back. Better quality exterior paint.