Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I'll Only Buy VW
By luckylindy03

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this is the second jetta i have owned and i have to say that it is by far the best one. I read the bad reviews and the good reviews and it seems like there are a fair amount of lemons out there. Thank GOD i didn't get one, but i have to say that you really can't beat German Engineering. I will never buy another car that isn't a VW. Everything about the car is a blast. The exterior of the car is great and i get looks everywhere i go. The interior is great too with the brushed aluminum and recaro seats (which can get a little weary after a long trip).

Favorite Features

Style, Performance, Comfort. Its all there with this car. The suspension is real stiff the steering is quick, throttle response could be quicker but hey, with the turbo kicking in 13psi of boost... who cares?

Suggested Improvements

i can't even say that leg room in the back would be nice, because i never sit back there. I honestly can't think of anything that i want on it, other than the K04S turbo as standard instead of the K03.

Don't get a VW
By kdl

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my graduation gift. They replaced the whole brake system, the front end, and the door jam. I hate this car. The seats are stiff. Now the dash cluster is going. What is up? Thought VW was a good car. WRONG. Next one will be a Honda

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Blow it up

Disgruntled In Denver
By DisgruntledInDenver

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my dream car. I bought it used,(certified pre-owned), but it came with no warranty. The car drove great for a year and a half and around the summer of '09 I noticed several little changes in the performance of the vehicle. I brought the car to a VW garage and explained that I was having issues with the acceleration, as well as a ticking noise that came from under the hood while idling. The car was also making a loud whining noise as I accelerated and the engine thermostat light kept coming on. $6500 later and a new transmission, timing belt, water pump and tensioners, the car runs great. My only thought was, $6500, really? This is not a car for young people in college. Expensive!

Favorite Features

The interior and exterior of the car is great. It definitely turns heads (even as a 5 year old car) as a drive down the street. VW has really mastered the concept of creature comfort details to the interior. The gas mileage is amazing with this car and holds its own against the newer hybrids.

Suggested Improvements

I guess I'm still stumped as to why a car that is supposed to be the epitome of its model, with all the bugs worked out, at only 70k miles, needs to have such extensive work done. This car should have lasted over 100k (at least) before any of these problems became an issue. Shame on VW!

Jetta is Great! 70K miles and counting!
By Frank

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta seems to be a love/hate car. It looks to me like a lot of people that had the 1.8T models had serious issues. Couldn't be happier with the 2.0 L GLS model. Only complaint is the water pump issue that VW has yet to recall. Common issue: the water pump fins melt off and cause head gasket failure. If you look around, this happens to everyone. Other than that, very few issues in 5 years. Great car for the money and fun to drive!

Favorite Features

heated leather, stereo, looks, handling, fun to drive, MPG

Suggested Improvements

address and pay for the water pump failures VW! (replacement part has been corrected) The MAF and O2 sensors also should be covered and seem to be a common issue.

HATE IT
By Mercedes Fan

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I hate this car it's one of the worst investments I have ever made. I would recommend any one to spend the money and do as I did after problem after problem and buy a Mercedes or BMW

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

A better fit and finish through out the car and all of the exterior trim needs to be re worked after three months the trim fell off of the car. so I would not recommend this car to any one