2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
BEATS THE TOYOTA PRIUS HANDS DOWN
By STARWARS TDI on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

AFTER FINDING OUT THE REPLACEMENT HYBIRD BATTERY FOR THE PRIUS WAS $2900 NOT INCL TAX AND INSTALLATION, I CHECKED ONT THE HONDA CIVIC (JUNK) AND THE VW JETTA TDI. THE TDI GETS BETTER ACTUAL MILEAGE THAN THE PRIUS ON A CROSS COUNTRY RUN ACCORDING TO CONSUMER REPORT. MUCH ROOMER THAN THE HONDA AND SOUNDS SOLID. AIR BAGS WERE AN EXPENSIVE OPTION WITH PRIUS! ALOT QUITER AND SMOTHER THAN MY FIRST DIESEL RABBIT IN 78. QUALITY OF WORKMANSHIP FAR EXCEED TOYOTA AND HONDA! GETTING 45.8 MPG MIXTURE OF CITY AND INTERSTATE DRIVING. DEALER WAS ABLE TO GET LAST GLS IN FLA FOR ME WITHIN 1 WEEK!

Economy car with luxury maintenance cost
By Keiller on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

How does $10/liter for oil sound? That's what my dealer tried to sell it to me for. I went online and bought it for $6.40/Liter. How does $34/liter for transmission fluid sound? That's what my dealer wants. Again, I went online and found it for half that (which is still outrageous!). I wanted fuel efficiency and that's why I bought the Jetta TDI, but it's an expensive car to operate. Buy a Honda...I wish I had.

I'm now a believer!
By Popster on 08/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car as a hedge against another gas crisis.I drove it sparingly but my wife was a Jetta convert after driving it for a month.I poured my 6'4 frame into this little diesel and now I rarely drive my other cars.This is the little diesel that could! It is a small car with a big ride and heart.I am currently shopping the Toureg but find the $65000 list too steep..VW has made me a believer.I would rate the Jetta TDI as one of the best cars I have ever owned.A tiny ,tiny bit noisy at idle but with quality like this and45-50 mpg who cares?....popster

Great little car
By thomas6 on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This my first VW very impress with built quality similar to a BMW. The car handle great with lots of power and comforts. My only complaint was the service by the dealership. T he last time I took my car for service to replace my cup holder. I ask them to fill up the fuel tank, but instead filling it up diesel fuel the technician fill it with gasoline. Therefore the stopped in the middle of the street as soon as I drove it off the dealership.

problems
By fredb111 on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We like the car and the diesel engine. My problem is that with 4000 miles, the transmission has been replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!

no complaints just drive
By Razorback on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had this care for less than 3 months and already have about 10000 miles on the vehicle. The car itself is fun to drive and I have had no issues as of yet. I drive throughout nw Arkansas and the River Valley with my position at Tyson Foods. Great fuel efficiency and quiet interstate ride.

Our first Diesel
By Newlyweds on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We recently moved out of the city and were looking to reduce our monthly gas bill. We test drove a Jetta TDI and were immedieatly impressed with how solid the car was. The interior was well appointed and the ride comfortable. The mileage was what sold us ulimately!

Great Car/Great Value
By Jride on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Before I purchased the Jetta I looked at everything from Cheverolets to Jaguars to Mercedes to Nissans and spent two months looking everyday. I was replacing a Lexus IS300 that was wrecked. My main concern was safety and VW ranks at the top on saftey. The Jetta gets great gas mileage, is a quality build that had many of the same interior designs as the Mercedes (without the high repair cost), and has a great reputation. My cousin had one of these he drove for many years and finally sold with 310,000 miles on it and it was still running. Overall the car is one of the best on the road that offers quality, style, performance, and reliability all in one.

Love it
By Alaina on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The VW Jetta is a great car that is built better than any other car on the road. Most German cars like BMW and Mercedes are good quality but,high maintanance cost. The Japenese cars are reliable, but have cheap features and interiors. The American cars have a long way to go with quality in both the interior and exterior...also with reliablity. So the Jetta is the one car that you can get German quality, virtually no maintanance, very safe, and extremely reliable all one.

Great value, Great drive
By AdMonster on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Remarkable gas mileage and great driveability all bundled into one of the best cars I have ever purchased. Without AC, it averages better than 50 mpg and with the AC blasting, it averages about 46 mpg. In times like these, this is a wonderful car to have. Great service by the dealership and good reliability. All in all, an incredible value.