Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Brief Review
By Chance

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

Execellent car. I've modded my car to my liking and it has not cost too much. Also, there are group of people who own VWs that you can meet with in your local area and learn more about your car and how to modify it.

Favorite Features

VR6! ESP, 6-Speed

Suggested Improvements

Suspension, exhaust

I Miss the Good Ol' Days
By Ally

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Alright 2004 Jetta drivers... I see quite a bit of discrepancies in the reviews of this vehicle (or junker, lemon, superb car). Hmmm. Perhaps those of us who (ahem) drive the 2004 V-Dead/V-Dud received a similar factory model. Those rated this Jetta at 9 or 10; consider yourselves "the lucky ones." I owned a 1998 VW Wolfsburg Jetta prior to this 2004 lemon. I loved that 1998 with my heart and soul. Unfortunately I was rear ended and the car deemed "totaled." Now I am stuck with this. Wrought with problems between breaks, stalling, adjusters, recalls; heck I am getting a migraine thinking about it.

Favorite Features

The radio/CD player. Man I love having a radio scanner on my steering wheel. Even better I receive more stations than any other vehicle owner. Furthermore the CD player reads virtually destroyed Compact Discs.

Suggested Improvements

Don't get me started. VW should revamp the methods they use to construct cars... go back to the good ol' days of the nineties. Hey the cars were more eye-appealing and were of a higher quality.

I miss my jetta already = (
By Happy Customer

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Just sold my jetta after 5 great years in it. bought the car w/7k miles on it. No issues until about 35k miles and the chrome strip on the right panel start to peel and had it replaced along with the catalytic converter (warranty). Around 70k the car would stall for a second and kick in under 1/4 tank gas. Never replaced the fuel pump, but I'm guessing thats the problem. The remote worked half the time around 50k miles as well. Other than that, I drove this car in all weather conditions and loved every moment of it through college. Sold it at 80k to another college student Great car! Drove it hard at times and it kept up with the abuse. Never paid a dime in repairs! LOVED IT

Favorite Features

Extremely fun to drive, interior even without the leather is fantastic, fuel economy is downright ridiculous, interior quality of the components seems higher (sit in one and you'll see what I mean), major components never failed on me or even came close, Looks and Feels great driving!

Suggested Improvements

Minor components need some work on how the vehicle gels as a whole. Although i never had an issue, I could tell the electrical system was not as robust (lights flickered sometimes), exterior molding chipped or came unglued, back seats are way too small for anyone to sit comfortably

Money vacuum
By shelbyc2

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for three years, it had 200,000 miles on it. I like this car but it was in the shop at least every three months for some small things that cost a ton. Heated seats didnt work. Bad headlights. The only good thing about this car is defrosters. The MPG was 21 at best. When it wasnt in the shop it was an reliable car (key word when it wasn't in the shop). Personaly I would not buy this car I have heard that this car is a mechanics best friend because its there all the time. I got to know my mechanic very well because I was there all the time. I got a loan for $5000 when I bought this car I put that much if not more in it to fix the dumb thing. As soon as I paid it off we sold it

Favorite Features

sunroof

Suggested Improvements

the altanater, sensorys, fuel pump, almost everything that can be replaced. Needs more leg room.

Excellent car for what it is
By darksim905

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for a solid 10 years & have had minimal issues. After 10 years, every car will start falling apart & showing it's issues. That being said my ''major'' issues that I have had are below. The car runs great if you take care of it & maintain it. I'm not sure what everyone else does with their vehicle, but I love my Jetta & will buy another as a project car once I manage to run this into the ground. 110k miles & going strong.

Favorite Features

* Radio is excellent & sounds great even from the day I purchased it * Constantly fun to drive - engine feels fast (enough though it probably isn't...) * Handling - Easy to maneuver in & out of traffic * Headlights are reliable, albeit prone to yellowing * Blue backlight on HUD is AWESOME

Suggested Improvements

* Impeller in the water pump is plastic, it will fail. You will have to get it replaced in the first 40k miles depending on owner drives it. * STS & other vendors are aware of this & will replace it with correct HD parts if necessary. * Window may fall in the door, only had this happen on passenger side * Front bumper skirt too low * Prone to rust on driver side door hinge & hood latch * Plastic finish on the radio, steering wheel, etc will come off if you're too abrasive or use wrong cleaning product * Headlights prone to yellow tint, also plastic * "Sealed" transmission fluid/system?! :( * Horrible wind noise :( Stereo makes up for it though :)