Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Edmunds sucks, but this car doesn't
By pwu2005

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Why does Edmunds suck? Because they relentlessly bash American cars on such petty issues as interior materials and fail to take into account the what you save when you buy an American car (due to incentives). I love my Jetta, but Edmunds has gone overboard with their review of it. "Each Jetta is assembled with care!" "Build quality is superb!" Give me a break. They fail to take into account this car's past reliability issues, when they rehash those issues time and time again for every American car they review. Let me just say that my Jetta is a joy to drive with the powerful and fun 1.8T, but is sometimes sluggish off the bat and has a rattly dashboard.

1) INTERIOR. Base cloth seats are superb in quality, and materials throughout the car are first-rate. Good ergonomics throughout; 2) ENGINE. 1.8T is worth the few extra $. Just push the throttle, and you'll be amazed by the power; 3) HANDLING. Nice compromise btw. Euro and American.

1) AIR. Air shouldn't come out of the vents when the air or air conditioning isn't turned on; 2) TRUNK PASS- THROUGH. Not something I necessarily need but would be a good addition; 3) EDMUNDS. Edmunds needs improving. They're by far the most biased, nit- picky car reviewers I've read.

A Driver's Automobile
By jettaguy420

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my Jetta. I only wish i could drive it in an area which would allow me to "open it up" more. I long for 4th gear. The 1.8T exhibits very little lag, compared to my Saab 91 900T. I like the new silver accents around the grill and along the side. It looks a bit more refined and distinct than other Jetta IVs. If you live in a snowy area, get the 15" wheels on the GLS. The sport package (17" wheels, stiffer suspension) is nice in the summer, but useless in the winter. Lots of upgrades available for tuners. Changing your oil yourself voids warranty, and is very difficult, due to a plastic protector plate. Cool Key.

Interior controls. Placement and appearance are Audi-esque. I love that EVERY switch lights up. Stock Monsoon Stereo is GREAT for the average listener. (I'm sure a true audiophile could find some weak points)

Rear Seating Room. Friends are cramped. Bottom-portion of folding rear seat feels like it is made of foam. Cheap feel. Make the auto door lock able to be disarmed! I hate having to keep pressing the unlock to get stuff out of my back seat.

If You Start Me Up...
By diallo13

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The 1.8T Turbo is awesome! This is my first new car (previous two were used), so I spent months pondering between the Jetta, a Mazda 3, or a Honda Accord. I feel confident in my decision. No complaints!

STANDARD SIDE CURTAIN AIRBAGS FOR UNDER $22K! Other automakers need to play catch up with the guys over at Volkswagen. I love the exterior and interior design and features as well.

Okay, this is merely a suggestion...not a gripe. I would suggest offering tinted windows as part of the Special Edition GLI. I had tinted windows installed aftermarket.

3rd time's a charm
By njjetta

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got off to a rough start with this car...I hit a deer the day after I bought it and had it in the shop for a week. Basically, I love my car. This is my 3rd Jetta. My first was a 1996 and basically a lemon...my 97 was reliable and my 04 is by far my favorite. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants to have fun while they drive, and feel safe and secure.

Monsoon Sound System, Seats, Auto up and down windows, Folding key with remote entry, Color (platinum gray)

MPG could be higher...more like the civic. Cup holders are terrible...block access to stereo and block air vents, also can't fit poland spring sport bottles (what's that all about)

Great Performance, Badly Built
By sapiendut

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Rattle, rattle, rattle. Squeak, squeak, squeak. Low quality ICE. Continuous minor mechanical problems. Fun to drive, though.

Turbo kick feels great.

VW should try to imitate even the cheapest Japanese brands which have no squeak, rattles, and constant minor mechanical problems.