2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews 10

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
TDI Torque
By Jedi TDI on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is my 4th VW, 1st Diesel. The Diesel torque is great, it allows me to pass 10MPG SUVs with ease, smiling all the way of course. The car is well built (0 problems so far), responsive, and fun to drive. The fact that it returns greta MPG and low maintenence are pluses. Yes, the oil changes are expensive, but there is little other maintenence required, no Spark Plugs, coils, wires, etc. Would buy/recommend TDI to anyone who wants high low end torque, great MPG and low maintenence. Of course, there is that Diesel clatter at idle, but that is music to my ears. The TDI engine is very quiet at speed, due to the low revs at highway speed.

Jetta tires in snow
By susankha on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Got the Jetta TDI to "help the environment" because of its great fuel economy, and I drive SO much. I loved it the whole eleven days I got to drive it. The stock tires (all season tires) CANNOT handle any snow. There was a light snow and I was travelling on a road that hadn't seen much traffic when the back end whipped out on a slight curve. Ended up in a head-on collision. I give the car a fantastic rating for safety, and I recommend the car hightly, but for heaven's sake, get snow tires immediately!!!!!

Awesome TDI
By bri_hamm on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I wanted this car because it was the only one the currently offered a diesel engine. With the cost of fuel going no where but up, it was the right move to make. Even though the horse power rating is only 90, with the torqe of deisel and the turbo to boot, I feel no difference when driving this car. A plus is that it is German made which means a nice tight car.

1st VW
By jim beil on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Be sure if there is a problem with the vehicle that you get back to the dealer ASAP. The headlights on my car were too low to be safe. I didn't ask for them to be realigned until 8 months and 20,00 miles had passed. They charged me $54, I appealed to VW America and they still refused to reimburse me. Said I had to be in within 4000 miles of purchase.

Manchester NH Dealer Sucks
By khh_13 on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Ours arrived w/windshield scratches. The dealer placed a warranty claim. The dealer sublet to Glass America (GA) who installed their own glass. The glass did not fit & installed it anyway causing a safety issue. GA severely scratched the hood. Our car was no longer a new car. We contacted VW of American. VW of American stated it was not their issue. After a week Manchester VW replaced the glass again & a hood from a new car. They scratched the front bumper & chipped the paint in the driver door. Our VW is now for sale. We will NOT do business w/ Manchester VW or buy another VW. VW of America did not support us w/making the dealer provide a new Jetta.

The ultimate
By kokomokid on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My Jetta wagon is getting 45-50 mpg in mixed driving. From what I hear, the TDI automatic doesn't do nearly as well, so if you want a TDI, I'd suggest the manual. Beyond the fuel economy issue, I also really like the way it drives. The engine has a narrower power band than a gas engine, but has lots of torque in the 1500- 3000 rpm range. The TDI feels surpisingly strong for 100. The car itself is well put together and, so far, has had no problems. (knock on wood) I really like the way the instruments look at night, with the blue LED lighting. The interior is attractive and comfortable for this thin, 5'11" guy.

So far, So good
By Reno to CA driver on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I've had the car for about two months so far, so good. I have to cover Northern California and Northern Nevada with round trips in the 800 mile range. So far averaging 40-42 mpg with the automatic and good driver ride comfort. With the cost of gasoline going over $2.00 per gallon, I glad to have a diesel. The Monsoon audio is the best I've heard from a factory install.

Mexican German Quality
By AndreF on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I had been hearing about years how Volkswagens were well built, had incredible fuel mileage, etc, so I decided to try it out myself. After the twins came along, we decided it was time for a little larger car, so we bought a 2004 Jetta GLS TDI. I simply cannot believe how cheap this car is to run, we get over 1100 kilometres on a tank of combined city and highway driving. That alone offsets the high price of the car and the oil changes. Don't let other reviews change your mind about Volkswagens, they truly are made for drivers.

Excellent
By Michael Messina on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

Looks great, drives great, comfortable interior, quiet ride, and very safe. Couldn't be happier.

unreliable and overpriced
By Samson13 on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Except fpr great milage, the car is cramped, especially in the back, very expensive when compared to other makes with gas engine, very expensive to maintain and mechanically unreliable. Had trounle with whell bearing, glow plugs, trunk struts, rear brakes. Oil change and filter are ridiculously expensive. Apholstery is a lint magnet. The saving in gas does not justify the extra costs in breakdown and routine maintenance.