2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great small car
By Pawita on 07/30/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a pleasure to drive! I never have had such a fun experience driving this vehicle, it's great for long trips and grocery store visits. This is durable and reliable, its reponds quickly and effectively

An Audi in hiding
By ajl on 01/03/09 14:47 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For those of you looking for a "drivers" small car, look no further. We bought our Jetta Wagon used with 39k on the odometer. It has been trouble free with about 56k miles as I write this. This car is fun to drive, whether around town or on the highway. Not a sports car, the handling is more then adequate for fun and the ride is firm, but not harsh. This car is basically an Audi (shares a lot with the Audi A4), not an Old Beetle. Parts and service can be pricey,especially if you don't do some things yourself. German cars are fussy about being maintained. If you don't MAINTAIN, you will have to FIX. True of all cars, very true of German makes. Keep that in mind and enjoy your Jetta!

1.8t = Solid Car
By George S on 06/28/08 19:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Put on about 50,000 miles, with a decent amount of reliability issues (windows dropping into door twice, check engine lights, leaking sunroof, failed ignition coil requiring tow, among others). With the turbocharged engine, I'm going to make sure I religiously change the oil every 3k miles no matter what...can't afford to put money into the car now that I'm off the 4-year/50k mile warranty. Otherwise, a great car overall. Not fast, but quick - and it can be made quite fast with basic mods, if one should so choose. Amazingly refined interior build quality, classy exterior looks. Has its rattles, but not a big deal. Fairly soft ride, though a bit of lean in turns as a result.

Good Car but the Seats Stink
By Estabhan on 11/23/05 23:55 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love how the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T handles and the overall compact design. Its gas mileage is good, though not as good as others have said (27 to 30 mpg). The big problem is the seats - they are too narrow. I am 5 foot 9, 175 pounds so I consider myself average. After 1.5 hours in this car, my thighs have had it. I bought a seat pad from Brookstone that elevates me slightly (watch that headroom!) and relieves the pressure. My wife and all of the passengers I have had in it have noticed the same problem. Volkswagen offered no assistance saying it was "the design." I notice the new Jetta advertises more hip room. Go for the new one, leave this one to the sub 150 pounders.

Jetta Wagon 04 1.8T Manual
By Dina Nishioka on 11/16/04 11:56 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my car and how it performs. Great handling, great mileage, convenient features (rear mirror defrost, seat warmers, seat adjustments). However, little electronics concern me. Power windows, slow rear window defrost, etc. Overall, I am happy with my purchase. Should be a great car to have for ten years.

Few Problems
By Syomau on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I did experience a few problems in the first few months of ownership ranging from having to change the drivers seat cover to a few rattels all of which were fixed in a timely manner. Other wise Great car.

2004 Jetta 1.8 Wagan
By Patricia Flaherty on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have only had this vehicle for two months but I love it. Very easy to drive,pickup is outstanding. ABS standard breaking is also very good. Cargo space is also outstanding. Overall, I think this car is an outstanding bargin for safety, good cargo space and fun to drive. Not to many family wagons are also fun to drive but the Jetta 1.8 Wagon fits that bill as well for in my case under 20,000

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
By ironjasper on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

With a 2 year old son, and a big dog, I needed a wagon, and I'm very glad I decided on the Jetta. My car has 8000 miles on it, and NO problems what so ever (knock on wood)... There's lots of room in the cargo area, and the car's fun to drive. Plus it gets 31 mpg on the highway. NO regrets.

Jetta wagon 1.8T GLS 5M
By jhilton14 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my Jetta. It's a blast to drive, it gets good mileage, and its cargo area is pretty big. So far (knock on wood) in about 7300 miles, I haven't had any problems with the car at all. I would highly recommend this wagon to anyone who needs a wagon, but still likes to drive.

SPORT WAGON WITH MPG
By A J FICCARDI on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

the 1.8 turbo packs a delightful punch while returning 31 miles per gallon. The car handles wonderfully. The best additional feature is the huge cargo area. The interior materials are completely top notch as well. Every time i drive it, I enjoy it more. Everything on the car works better than expected.