Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great small car
By Pawita

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a pleasure to drive! I never have had such a fun experience driving this vehicle, it's great for long trips and grocery store visits. This is durable and reliable, its reponds quickly and effectively

Favorite Features

I love the sport suspension, great tracking in snow and rain! The heated mirrors and seat, make winter fun to drive in! I love that eith the turn of a key you can close and open all windows. Controls on the steering wheel are the best! I love washing this car!

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint I have is adjusting the seats, they are not powered electrically, they have dials you must turn manually to adjust your seat.

An Audi in hiding
By ajl

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For those of you looking for a "drivers" small car, look no further. We bought our Jetta Wagon used with 39k on the odometer. It has been trouble free with about 56k miles as I write this. This car is fun to drive, whether around town or on the highway. Not a sports car, the handling is more then adequate for fun and the ride is firm, but not harsh. This car is basically an Audi (shares a lot with the Audi A4), not an Old Beetle. Parts and service can be pricey,especially if you don't do some things yourself. German cars are fussy about being maintained. If you don't MAINTAIN, you will have to FIX. True of all cars, very true of German makes. Keep that in mind and enjoy your Jetta!

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, power from the 1.8T,comfort of the seats and interior. In our wagon version, an all around good car. Lots of versatility, lots of fun.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy isn't great (17mpg on premium fuel around town, I live with lots of hills though) interior a bit tight, especially for taller folks, some squeaks and rattles from inside and out. Anything I could suggest has been improved by the new version! (05-up)

1.8t = Solid Car
By George S

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Put on about 50,000 miles, with a decent amount of reliability issues (windows dropping into door twice, check engine lights, leaking sunroof, failed ignition coil requiring tow, among others). With the turbocharged engine, I'm going to make sure I religiously change the oil every 3k miles no matter what...can't afford to put money into the car now that I'm off the 4-year/50k mile warranty. Otherwise, a great car overall. Not fast, but quick - and it can be made quite fast with basic mods, if one should so choose. Amazingly refined interior build quality, classy exterior looks. Has its rattles, but not a big deal. Fairly soft ride, though a bit of lean in turns as a result.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged engine, heated seats (with outstanding cloth material) and heated wiper fluid, power sunroof, Monsoon sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.

Good Car but the Seats Stink
By Estabhan

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love how the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T handles and the overall compact design. Its gas mileage is good, though not as good as others have said (27 to 30 mpg). The big problem is the seats - they are too narrow. I am 5 foot 9, 175 pounds so I consider myself average. After 1.5 hours in this car, my thighs have had it. I bought a seat pad from Brookstone that elevates me slightly (watch that headroom!) and relieves the pressure. My wife and all of the passengers I have had in it have noticed the same problem. Volkswagen offered no assistance saying it was "the design." I notice the new Jetta advertises more hip room. Go for the new one, leave this one to the sub 150 pounders.

Favorite Features

The turbo performance and tight handling.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the seats. Also, the radio reception died after a year, I have yet to see if VW will address that.

Jetta Wagon 04 1.8T Manual
By Dina Nishioka

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my car and how it performs. Great handling, great mileage, convenient features (rear mirror defrost, seat warmers, seat adjustments). However, little electronics concern me. Power windows, slow rear window defrost, etc. Overall, I am happy with my purchase. Should be a great car to have for ten years.

Favorite Features

Rear mirror defrost, heated seats, Monsoon stereo, comfortable front seats, great handling, acceleration ability.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother door opening and closing.