2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Almost perfectly reliable for 93K miles
By Bart on 12/15/07 08:24 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Total repairs include one throttle body (under warranty), broken clips on power window during a winter freeze (fixed for free by a dealer), and brake pads/rotors. Rear brakes were at 92K miles, fronts at 80k. That's it. Another example of buying at the end of a model run for best reliability? This has been a perfect 'extra' family car in terms of reliability, economy (27-30 mpg) and practicality. With good snows and stability control, it handles New England snow very well. Performance is modest with the 2.0 liter and automatic, but fine on the hiwy. Handling is serious understeer, but it is a predictable car to drive and I don't dread switching from my A4 quattro when the occasion arises.

Awesome Jetta Wagon
By Eshwar.S on 01/07/06 13:43 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL Wagon for year now, I bought it in September of 2004. It has not had any problems, runs great, looks great, and feels like I just bought yesterday.

I love my Jetta
By BeeMyBabi on 07/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Jetta and I am an avid fan. It comfortably fits my family of 3 and this car is mainly used for commuting. Great fuel economy. I would purchase another again. Outstanding that most upgraded features in other cars comes standard with this VW such as air, upgraded stereo, power windows/locks, and alarm. Handles very well and pick up is great on the manual.

jetta could be betta
By bluehammer66 on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

do not like the lack of power to accelerate,honda civics,dodge neons and other cars constantly out accerate me and are always on my rear.1st gear is too low. center console rubs my right leg. had many problems with a/c making noise, after three times in the dealer still not fixed. bought used with only 8,000 miles on it. uses oil, must add 1qt per month, plus if battery dies, you must tow it to vw to fix. you cannot change it yourself. computer will lose memory, and must be reprogrammed by dearler. a $40 charge. not to mention the tow, and battery, oh yeah, and the labor.

It is my 3-d vw , so - do not buy VW
By 3vw on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It is my 3-d VW. It means I like VW style and I loved their quality. Not any more. The quality became worst and service is a nightmare. I had an experience with 4 dealerships in CT. The same problem with service and the worst part is when I call VW of Noth America for help - they told me that they cannot help me and they have NO CONTROL of their dealers at all! Result of tryin to have a service at Valenti Motors, CT : in a two weeks small problem with my radio was not fixed plus complete disrespect of my personal time and VW image.

awesome car to drive
By njjettalover on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this is my first car here as well my first VW. I got a great deal and with all the fully loaded features the cost was less than Civic EX / Corolla S (i know that there are lot of red faces now that i have compared jetta to civic / corolla). The car is excellent to handle especially during curves / ramps (you can easily push the car to 15 mph more than the specified speed at ramps). Transmission is a bit rough in the first 8000 miles but then it really loosens up. Reverse gear is initially the most unco-operating part!

ride/drive
By caroline on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

it was very comfortable, and very relaxfull.

Handles well and has a sporty look
By Jhen Chambers on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is fun to drive and handles the road well, great car for the money. Would recomend this car for a comute and for a young adult looking for something that is reliable and good looking, and not a gas gussler.

Jetta.. Worse car I have ever owned!!!
By AlbertoSuarez on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I hate this car. It has been nothing but trouble and VW has the worst customer service. The alternator shut off the first month i had it. The bumper feel off. The windows broke. It started making funny noises. its just endless problems. The engine light always turns on along with every other light. I have brought it to the mechanic about 5-7 times already. I have had the car for only 3 months!!! ALLOT of people warned me about jettas..allot and The car was so popular and looked so nice i ignored all the bad things they were telling me . And now i'm stuck with a crappy car and i cannot get rid of it. I would not wish this upon anyone

VW Jet
By mark1980 on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good car that looks great! The car drives like an expensive German car but cost half the price. The 5-seed manual transmition is a must it gives you the extra proformance punch. Steering is responsive a little understeer is noticable while cornering at high speeds. Enough power to make a pass in 5th gear and 4th will over through most anything.