Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Best Car I've ever owned
By vgpr

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Been a JDM enthusiast all my life Been in the Automotive repair business 20 years. Then VW won me over I bought this car used with 78k miles on it. Today it has 200k. Its been a commuter vehicle for over 6 years the wtr pmp/belt done at 100k was replaced. Their weakness. The gear was plastic. Replaced with metal one. Besides that its been normal maintenance. Best front wheel drive in the snow up in the Cascades. Best A/C down in Tx where it is now. Grips the road better than my Benz C230 at a quarter of the Price and is the quietest car I've owned even today its quieter than my other newer cars. I just gave the car to my Sis and its still going strong. If find clean then get it...

Favorite Features

Quietest ride of most cars I've ever been in. Wind noise is non existent... Feels very sturdy and sticks to the road.

Suggested Improvements

Interior Trim buttons fade. And the plastic pieces get worn easily.

Although I loved my Jetta...
By Colorado Driver

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The look and handle of this car (when it's actually working properly) is great! I loved driving it and thought that it got very good gas mileage. Bought the car used with 26k on it and at 55k the water pump broke under warranty, replaced the driver side window (fell thru the door) the driver side rear view mirror (started falling off). All this was under warranty. Afterward the timing belt, alternator, battery, and fuel pump went out all before 84k! Also lost the CD player and AC converter has been problematic as well.

Favorite Features

The jetta is super cute and drives really well. I also loved the sound system... before my CD player blew out after a road trip to Utah.

Suggested Improvements

If VW is going to make "luxurious" vehicles extend the warranty so that the consumer wont have to pay an arm and a leg to fix an essential part of the ENGINE!

Great small car
By Pawita

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a pleasure to drive! I never have had such a fun experience driving this vehicle, it's great for long trips and grocery store visits. This is durable and reliable, its reponds quickly and effectively

Favorite Features

I love the sport suspension, great tracking in snow and rain! The heated mirrors and seat, make winter fun to drive in! I love that eith the turn of a key you can close and open all windows. Controls on the steering wheel are the best! I love washing this car!

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint I have is adjusting the seats, they are not powered electrically, they have dials you must turn manually to adjust your seat.

An Audi in hiding
By ajl

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For those of you looking for a "drivers" small car, look no further. We bought our Jetta Wagon used with 39k on the odometer. It has been trouble free with about 56k miles as I write this. This car is fun to drive, whether around town or on the highway. Not a sports car, the handling is more then adequate for fun and the ride is firm, but not harsh. This car is basically an Audi (shares a lot with the Audi A4), not an Old Beetle. Parts and service can be pricey,especially if you don't do some things yourself. German cars are fussy about being maintained. If you don't MAINTAIN, you will have to FIX. True of all cars, very true of German makes. Keep that in mind and enjoy your Jetta!

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, power from the 1.8T,comfort of the seats and interior. In our wagon version, an all around good car. Lots of versatility, lots of fun.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy isn't great (17mpg on premium fuel around town, I live with lots of hills though) interior a bit tight, especially for taller folks, some squeaks and rattles from inside and out. Anything I could suggest has been improved by the new version! (05-up)

1.8t = Solid Car
By George S

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Put on about 50,000 miles, with a decent amount of reliability issues (windows dropping into door twice, check engine lights, leaking sunroof, failed ignition coil requiring tow, among others). With the turbocharged engine, I'm going to make sure I religiously change the oil every 3k miles no matter what...can't afford to put money into the car now that I'm off the 4-year/50k mile warranty. Otherwise, a great car overall. Not fast, but quick - and it can be made quite fast with basic mods, if one should so choose. Amazingly refined interior build quality, classy exterior looks. Has its rattles, but not a big deal. Fairly soft ride, though a bit of lean in turns as a result.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged engine, heated seats (with outstanding cloth material) and heated wiper fluid, power sunroof, Monsoon sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.