2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Best Car I've ever owned
By vgpr on 05/08/14 13:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Been a JDM enthusiast all my life Been in the Automotive repair business 20 years. Then VW won me over I bought this car used with 78k miles on it. Today it has 200k. Its been a commuter vehicle for over 6 years the wtr pmp/belt done at 100k was replaced. Their weakness. The gear was plastic. Replaced with metal one. Besides that its been normal maintenance. Best front wheel drive in the snow up in the Cascades. Best A/C down in Tx where it is now. Grips the road better than my Benz C230 at a quarter of the Price and is the quietest car I've owned even today its quieter than my other newer cars. I just gave the car to my Sis and its still going strong. If find clean then get it...

Although I loved my Jetta...
By Colorado Driver on 07/23/10 14:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The look and handle of this car (when it's actually working properly) is great! I loved driving it and thought that it got very good gas mileage. Bought the car used with 26k on it and at 55k the water pump broke under warranty, replaced the driver side window (fell thru the door) the driver side rear view mirror (started falling off). All this was under warranty. Afterward the timing belt, alternator, battery, and fuel pump went out all before 84k! Also lost the CD player and AC converter has been problematic as well.

Great small car
By Pawita on 07/30/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a pleasure to drive! I never have had such a fun experience driving this vehicle, it's great for long trips and grocery store visits. This is durable and reliable, its reponds quickly and effectively

An Audi in hiding
By ajl on 01/03/09 14:47 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For those of you looking for a "drivers" small car, look no further. We bought our Jetta Wagon used with 39k on the odometer. It has been trouble free with about 56k miles as I write this. This car is fun to drive, whether around town or on the highway. Not a sports car, the handling is more then adequate for fun and the ride is firm, but not harsh. This car is basically an Audi (shares a lot with the Audi A4), not an Old Beetle. Parts and service can be pricey,especially if you don't do some things yourself. German cars are fussy about being maintained. If you don't MAINTAIN, you will have to FIX. True of all cars, very true of German makes. Keep that in mind and enjoy your Jetta!

1.8t = Solid Car
By George S on 06/28/08 19:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Put on about 50,000 miles, with a decent amount of reliability issues (windows dropping into door twice, check engine lights, leaking sunroof, failed ignition coil requiring tow, among others). With the turbocharged engine, I'm going to make sure I religiously change the oil every 3k miles no matter what...can't afford to put money into the car now that I'm off the 4-year/50k mile warranty. Otherwise, a great car overall. Not fast, but quick - and it can be made quite fast with basic mods, if one should so choose. Amazingly refined interior build quality, classy exterior looks. Has its rattles, but not a big deal. Fairly soft ride, though a bit of lean in turns as a result.

Almost perfectly reliable for 93K miles
By Bart on 12/15/07 08:24 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Total repairs include one throttle body (under warranty), broken clips on power window during a winter freeze (fixed for free by a dealer), and brake pads/rotors. Rear brakes were at 92K miles, fronts at 80k. That's it. Another example of buying at the end of a model run for best reliability? This has been a perfect 'extra' family car in terms of reliability, economy (27-30 mpg) and practicality. With good snows and stability control, it handles New England snow very well. Performance is modest with the 2.0 liter and automatic, but fine on the hiwy. Handling is serious understeer, but it is a predictable car to drive and I don't dread switching from my A4 quattro when the occasion arises.

Awesome Jetta Wagon
By Eshwar.S on 01/07/06 13:43 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL Wagon for year now, I bought it in September of 2004. It has not had any problems, runs great, looks great, and feels like I just bought yesterday.

Good Car but the Seats Stink
By Estabhan on 11/23/05 23:55 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love how the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T handles and the overall compact design. Its gas mileage is good, though not as good as others have said (27 to 30 mpg). The big problem is the seats - they are too narrow. I am 5 foot 9, 175 pounds so I consider myself average. After 1.5 hours in this car, my thighs have had it. I bought a seat pad from Brookstone that elevates me slightly (watch that headroom!) and relieves the pressure. My wife and all of the passengers I have had in it have noticed the same problem. Volkswagen offered no assistance saying it was "the design." I notice the new Jetta advertises more hip room. Go for the new one, leave this one to the sub 150 pounders.

Excellent Wagon for Anyone
By dragondad on 01/06/05 17:22 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Have owned several VW's. Upgraded from a 2003 Golf GL to the Jetta GLS 2.0 4A Wagon. First impressions are great. Tight German factory-built auto with much tighter feel than the Brazillian-built Golf. It is quieter and more comfortable (some due to the GLS vs. GL interior) than a Golf. Road manners are great and the gas mileage is very good for a 4cyl. automatic. Recommend this to anyone as a totally practical automobile. The features and quality justify the price, which can be negotiated to very acceptable levels. The GLS TDI Tiptronic version would be the ultimate in a small wagon.

GREAT CAR!!
By Matt on 12/12/04 21:49 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just got my car, it was a lease return that was turned in early. I got a great deal and the car has everything I wanted. I had a 99 Jetta and decided I wanted something newer. This car is awesome and i would recommend. I've been reading that people are having problems. And I'm sorry you are, because I had my 99 forever and had nothing wrong except minor repairs.

1 2 3 4 5 next »