2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Sort Reviews by

All around awesome.
By illimk4

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When going for a different vehicle I was searching for something stock turbocharged that had potential as far as tuning goes. Originally I set out to find an srt-4 but found a 1.8T GLI first. I'm glad I decided to purchase that instead. The car is fun to drive and fairly quick stock, but with apr stage 1 software It definitely kicks it up a notch. I love my VW and I doubt I will ever drive anything else. They are well built and very reliable. The only downfall is VW vehicles are expensive to maintain. Other than that the car is well worth what I paid for it.

Favorite Features

Easy to mod. Reliable Fun to drive Comfortable Stylish It's a VW.

Suggested Improvements

Make cheaper to fix and maintain.

I'll Only Buy VW
By luckylindy03

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this is the second jetta i have owned and i have to say that it is by far the best one. I read the bad reviews and the good reviews and it seems like there are a fair amount of lemons out there. Thank GOD i didn't get one, but i have to say that you really can't beat German Engineering. I will never buy another car that isn't a VW. Everything about the car is a blast. The exterior of the car is great and i get looks everywhere i go. The interior is great too with the brushed aluminum and recaro seats (which can get a little weary after a long trip).

Favorite Features

Style, Performance, Comfort. Its all there with this car. The suspension is real stiff the steering is quick, throttle response could be quicker but hey, with the turbo kicking in 13psi of boost... who cares?

Suggested Improvements

i can't even say that leg room in the back would be nice, because i never sit back there. I honestly can't think of anything that i want on it, other than the K04S turbo as standard instead of the K03.

This Car SUCKS
By myjettasucks

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for only 9 months and I am already getting rid of it. Jetta's may look cool, but reliability sucks. Since having it I have put nearly $7,000 in repairs. It will run great for a couple of months and then I will have a major problems (i.e. clutch, MAF sensor, ignition coils, MAF again, O2 sensors (yes plural), alternator, and master cylinder to name a few. Displeased doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this car. I am trading it and sticking with a Toyota or Honda.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, good styling

Suggested Improvements

Fix them so they can run for more than 1,000 miles without having to replace something.

Can't Stop Redlining!
By JT

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had the car for a year. I have had only one problem, the front rotors were replaced (wrapped). Thats it. I have had no electrical problems at all. I do have ratles in the doors though. This car is fun to drive and really holds on the turns. Also, this car's ECU can be reprogrammed to increase the HP. So if your looking for more HP for cheap.. it can be done. Doing this completly changes the car. It's still a beautiful car even today.

Favorite Features

The seats, interior lights, turbo, brakes, wheels, body kit,...everything.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked the GLI to have come with more HP stock and a LSD.

Get a good one!
By Mike P

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned a Jetta for 3 years, first I owned a 2003 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta. I recently upgraded to a 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T and loved them both. The old one was a nice car and very reliable, but the new one is unbelievable. I recommend you don't waste your money on a cheap Volkswagen and make sure to get one that is high quality.

Favorite Features

My car has a number of mods and customizations, but my favorite feature would have to be the stock bodykit and the 19" chrome I put on.

Suggested Improvements

none.

Teutonic friend of mine
By David L

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2004.5 Volkswagen Jetta GLI has been flawless. The personality and charm is understated. The build quality and engineering has been well thought out, and my MPG has been 20% better than expected (22-30). I love the the upgrades that they offered on the 2004.5 GLI. Thanks VW.

Favorite Features

Dash, instumentation, lighting, recaro seats, cup holders are finally AAA+++. 6-speed stick is fun and economical. Aluminum motif makes me feel like racing to work and home. Materials feel great to your fingers. Knobs and buttons are intuitive and user friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a better upgrade for the audio system.

Fun Car, Good Price, Some Flaws
By William

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Jetta GLI is a very attractive car with a number of very unique features unavailable to most cars in the same price range - the recaro seats, sound system, 6-speed transmission and interior detailing are all a cut above what you would expect, but do tack on a couple thousand to a comparable GLS's purchase price. The car drives very well, has a very responsive transmission, tight and well balanced brakes and a very typically German feel in tight high-speed turning maneuvers. That said, our car required three trips to the dealership for loud, high-pitched squealing in the rear brakes and the front ground effects are extremely fragile. A thread tear in the recaro seating had to be fixed too.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seating, great styling, very satisfying engine noise with minimal turbo whine.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffen the construction of ground effects and spoilers - drivers can avoid and take care around steep hills, but when situations aren't avoidable, it shouldn't mean the driver risks the integrity of his vehicle. A center console would have been nice.

Driver Found
By NTHUZIS

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Settled on a new '92 Jetta GL because I was young and couldn't afford the insurance on a GLI.I'm twelve years older and VW felt my plight and made the GLI that I always wanted.What a car.Driving is fun again.Love the European styling,classy upgrades,and grin quotient.I feel 21 again.Traded in a '96 Impala SS for it.Enough said.

Favorite Features

BBS wheels,thick steering wheel,interior touches,low pro tires,red calipers,sweet engine.

Suggested Improvements

HID lighting

GLI 1.8T
By Edgar Bravo

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I used to be a proud Honda owner until I feasted my eyes on this piece of German engineering. Absolutely beautiful to look at, my GLI is extremely comfortable and fun to drive. Its interior design is like no other car I had previously experienced; it's a drfferent kind of "sturdy" quality. The way the car is built is similar only to other German automobiles like BMW or Audi. I'm sold on Volkswagen quality and I definetely recommend everyone test drive one. You'll love it!

Favorite Features

Recaro seats, six speed manual transmission, sleek body design

NOT YOUR AVERAGE JETTA
By belly232

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving is fun again. I previously owned an mk2 Jetta GLI with its recaro style seats stiffer suspension, 16" wheels and red pinstripe. This car takes it to another level with its great (and tunable) 1.8t engine, 18" BBS wheels, and 6 speed trannie. The interior and exterior styling are an added plus (red brake calipers-whoa!!). With the sport tuned suspension, i feel like im on rails going around corners (GREAT!!!!). For $22000, this car offers a great platform for a person to add his or her own upgrades. In my opinion it beats out many cars in its category

Favorite Features

Body kit,chrome trim, 18" BBS Wheels, Superior Handling, stop-on-a-dime brake response, traction control, great engine (tunable to 300+ hp), should I keep going??

Suggested Improvements

No center armrest(why?), HID's would have been nice.