2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Great little car, just don't do what I did.....
By cheeriosquirts on 04/11/14 20:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car is 2007 with 30k miles on it, as of right now I am at 115k. I've been a bad VW owner and haven't done the scheduled maintenance like I should, in fact I haven't changed the plugs, timing belt or the pads. That being said with the abuse I have given it (which I suggest you don't do) this car has continued to run like a champ. I do have the oil changed regularly but other than that I have been lazy. Right now I have it in for all the scheduled maintenance that I have failed to do, not because it broke but rather I feel badly about not treating this car right. All you other folks that have had serious issues I'm sorry you didn't get my car, otherwise you would be very happy!

I will never get a VW again
By SALESCG on 07/22/10 16:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought 2004 Jetta 1.8T, it has been nothing, but a financial burden, almost driving me to the edge of bankruptcy, this car BREAKS ALL THE TIME and VW does nothing for you, I've spent over $5000.00 in repairs, have receipts to prove, one thing after another, it's very depressing!

Disgruntled In Denver
By DisgruntledInDenver on 08/19/09 11:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my dream car. I bought it used,(certified pre-owned), but it came with no warranty. The car drove great for a year and a half and around the summer of '09 I noticed several little changes in the performance of the vehicle. I brought the car to a VW garage and explained that I was having issues with the acceleration, as well as a ticking noise that came from under the hood while idling. The car was also making a loud whining noise as I accelerated and the engine thermostat light kept coming on. $6500 later and a new transmission, timing belt, water pump and tensioners, the car runs great. My only thought was, $6500, really? This is not a car for young people in college. Expensive!

DISAPPOINTED IN VW
By # 1 Queen on 04/19/09 20:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Where to begin... tail lights flicker on/off and then go completely out on numerous occasion. Plastic fins in water pump rot away, causing car to overheat while driving. Clicking noise coming from dash by hazard lights button. Extremely stiff suspension. Door ajar light on/doors trunk closed, interior light switch doesn't work properly. Trunk/gas release fell into door, sunroof switch doesnt work correctly. Piece of junk- had a 94 Golf and 98 Passat, loved them- hate this!

Love The VDUB Jetta
By SBall0825 on 04/12/09 20:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Haven t had this car too long but long enough to grow so accustomed to it... I have a friend whose a VW enthusiast and he told me how fun the little 1.8t is. Man was he right. Its a quick car with all the luxuries you'll ever need. Near flawless interior and of course the exterior is gorgeous.. Beautiful all around. I'm loving this car.

Go get one!
By SEANGO18 on 04/06/09 17:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car w / 85000 miles on it, and have loved it ever since. Only problem has been an ignition coil that went out. (coil #2) Pays off to do your own work on these, and buy the Bentley manual. If you have a laptop computer and the VAGCOM software, you're set! These cars can get you in trouble if you treat them like a car from Japan, so be careful. If you want a car to get you from point A to point B without any joy, get a Toyota or Honda. You want to have some fun and be in a very safe car, get one of these. Follow the Maint. schedule, and change that oil every 3-4K with full synthetic, you'll love this car.........just as I do.

Definitely a VW Fan
By BOSTON_VW on 10/13/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After almost 3 years of owning this car, i can honestly say it's had a few issues, including water pump replacement, standard transmission syncros replaced, clutch replaced as well due to leaking transmission after synchro repair (dunno if that counts due to dealership not wear and tear), exhaust hangers quit after 1 year and a few bulbs and small issues like rim caps etc. Nothing major except for what was listed and that was all warranty work. Drives great, never fails to fire up and go.. great little cars overall. Love the stereo, sunroof and other features it came with. 1.8 T motor is great. just enough push to play, not enough fuel sucking to make it a gas pig. Overall, very balanced.

Love My Jetta
By noneya on 08/13/08 18:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my third Volkswagon Jetta and my first turbo. The Jetta is fun to drive with great performance and humph when you jump on the gas. I have been tracking MPG for the last 30k miles most of which is city miles commuting 55 miles round trip each day and I am averaging about 28 MPG. Some of the interior components are a little loose and rattle slightly sometimes. However, the leather interior is comfortable for the short trips or the long drives. Recommended the Jetta to my brother-in- law and he loves it as well. You will not find another car with the features, horsepower, and style without spending 10-15k more.

Still having more problems
By Justin S on 06/16/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is an update from my review from 6 months ago. Well, I fixed the problem with the last check engine light and things were good for a few months. Then, my temperature gauge started working sporadically, sometimes not at all. Finally after a month of this the car threw a check engine light. I had the codes (plural) read, and I am now having a problem with the exhaust (probably 02 sensor), and the cooling system (probably thermostat). I bought the car with 38k miles on it, and I'm now up to 53k miles. Problems so far: airbag replaced, 3 check engine lights, temp gauge not working, exterior "chrome" trim falling off, less than 16k miles put on. Needless to say, I'm getting rid of it soon!!

Love it!!
By vdubluva on 06/04/08 20:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought mine used and 3 yrs old. Its now up to 79,000 and I love it. It feels luxurious inside and affordable. It's definitely a drivers car.