Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great little car, just don't do what I did.....
By cheeriosquirts

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car is 2007 with 30k miles on it, as of right now I am at 115k. I've been a bad VW owner and haven't done the scheduled maintenance like I should, in fact I haven't changed the plugs, timing belt or the pads. That being said with the abuse I have given it (which I suggest you don't do) this car has continued to run like a champ. I do have the oil changed regularly but other than that I have been lazy. Right now I have it in for all the scheduled maintenance that I have failed to do, not because it broke but rather I feel badly about not treating this car right. All you other folks that have had serious issues I'm sorry you didn't get my car, otherwise you would be very happy!

Favorite Features

Leather Seats, Sunroof, Nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

Little less interior rattles here and there, otherwise I love it.

I will never get a VW again
By SALESCG

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought 2004 Jetta 1.8T, it has been nothing, but a financial burden, almost driving me to the edge of bankruptcy, this car BREAKS ALL THE TIME and VW does nothing for you, I've spent over $5000.00 in repairs, have receipts to prove, one thing after another, it's very depressing!

Disgruntled In Denver
By DisgruntledInDenver

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my dream car. I bought it used,(certified pre-owned), but it came with no warranty. The car drove great for a year and a half and around the summer of '09 I noticed several little changes in the performance of the vehicle. I brought the car to a VW garage and explained that I was having issues with the acceleration, as well as a ticking noise that came from under the hood while idling. The car was also making a loud whining noise as I accelerated and the engine thermostat light kept coming on. $6500 later and a new transmission, timing belt, water pump and tensioners, the car runs great. My only thought was, $6500, really? This is not a car for young people in college. Expensive!

Favorite Features

The interior and exterior of the car is great. It definitely turns heads (even as a 5 year old car) as a drive down the street. VW has really mastered the concept of creature comfort details to the interior. The gas mileage is amazing with this car and holds its own against the newer hybrids.

Suggested Improvements

I guess I'm still stumped as to why a car that is supposed to be the epitome of its model, with all the bugs worked out, at only 70k miles, needs to have such extensive work done. This car should have lasted over 100k (at least) before any of these problems became an issue. Shame on VW!

DISAPPOINTED IN VW
By # 1 Queen

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Where to begin... tail lights flicker on/off and then go completely out on numerous occasion. Plastic fins in water pump rot away, causing car to overheat while driving. Clicking noise coming from dash by hazard lights button. Extremely stiff suspension. Door ajar light on/doors trunk closed, interior light switch doesn't work properly. Trunk/gas release fell into door, sunroof switch doesnt work correctly. Piece of junk- had a 94 Golf and 98 Passat, loved them- hate this!

Favorite Features

It is quick for a 4 cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

TOO MANY TO LIST

Love The VDUB Jetta
By SBall0825

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Haven t had this car too long but long enough to grow so accustomed to it... I have a friend whose a VW enthusiast and he told me how fun the little 1.8t is. Man was he right. Its a quick car with all the luxuries you'll ever need. Near flawless interior and of course the exterior is gorgeous.. Beautiful all around. I'm loving this car.

Favorite Features

Gorgeous interior and gauge cluster at night... Pretty blue. Wheels, general look of the car.. And I love the fact that there are so many more cosmetic enhancements you can make to make it perfectly suited just for your own personal taste. Awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Electric seats would be Nice... Somewhat hard to adjust and rear legroom isn't all that great. And we all complain of the maintenance costs being so high... Yeah its a bummer but what do you expect.. German engineering means higher bills.. But I am sure its all worth it in the end.