Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T Sedan Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Fun to drive!
By Danny Wilson

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new from the VW dealership in 2004. I drove it for 120,000 miles and then gave it to my college aged son who has put another 130,000 miles on it. I loved the car and he still loves the car. The car has always been quick and it still runs just as well now with over 250k miles as it did when I drove it off the lot new. We have always used Pennzoil full synthetic oil and have changed it at about 7-9k intervals. At around 200k we changed the timing belt. This has been a really good car. I keep telling my son to put back some $$ for another car as this one is getting some miles on it. I've been telling him that for 3 years now. He doesn't want to trade it, it just is too good of a car, still.

Extremely Fun To Drive
By MikeR

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this used with about 160k miles about two years ago as a gas saver / daily driver. I was honestly looking for a used Honda Civic / Acura Integra but against my better judgment and the fact that it is almost impossible to find a used (1999-2006) Honda Civic, Integra, RSX that hasn't been abused and molested, a couple VW enthusiast friends talked me into buying an Mk4 1.8t Jetta with a 5 speed manual Trans. It wasn't without distress, I've had German cars in the past and it has never been a good experience. But, with a lot of research and reading, browsing and talking I came to this conclusion: The 2004-2005 AWD 1.8 turbo with the 5/6 speed manual Trans. and a couple of the original equipment parts changed out makes for a Very Solid Vehicle! So.. After a couple of months searching for the perfect set up on a 04-05 GLS / GLI Jetta, I bought a 2004 GLS and went to work immediately. I changed; The Timing Belt, water pump (Metal turbines), cam sensor, fuel pump and filter, Vacuum lines, Coolant Flush with the correct Coolant fill... and lots more. And now, I have a very dependable, very reliable, fast and Extremely Fun to Drive Mk4. This is one car I think I will hold onto, Its rare that you find a car like this, one that you cant wait to get into... I used to own a 98 Integra GSR, I loved that car, I ended up selling it and buying a 02 Mercedes C230 kompressor (Complete Junk) that GSR was one of those cars and I regretted selling it from day one. But not this time, I will keep and drive this Jetta till the Wheels fall off.
Of course, there are those issues a lot of people write about on here, and it is absolutely true, the Arm rest is flimsy, Glove box latch is cheap, Window switches, Radio switches fall off, Head liner is cheap and will slowly fall But all of this is no more than a $20-$40 fix, nothing you cant find on ebay or amazon. It will have nothing to do with whether my car starts in the morning or if its going to drive off from the stop light.
This has been an Incredible Car for me.

Great little car, just don't do what I did.....
By cheeriosquirts

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car is 2007 with 30k miles on it, as of right now I am at 115k. I've been a bad VW owner and haven't done the scheduled maintenance like I should, in fact I haven't changed the plugs, timing belt or the pads. That being said with the abuse I have given it (which I suggest you don't do) this car has continued to run like a champ. I do have the oil changed regularly but other than that I have been lazy. Right now I have it in for all the scheduled maintenance that I have failed to do, not because it broke but rather I feel badly about not treating this car right. All you other folks that have had serious issues I'm sorry you didn't get my car, otherwise you would be very happy!

Leather Seats, Sunroof, Nice interior.

Little less interior rattles here and there, otherwise I love it.

I will never get a VW again
By SALESCG

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought 2004 Jetta 1.8T, it has been nothing, but a financial burden, almost driving me to the edge of bankruptcy, this car BREAKS ALL THE TIME and VW does nothing for you, I've spent over $5000.00 in repairs, have receipts to prove, one thing after another, it's very depressing!

Disgruntled In Denver
By DisgruntledInDenver

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my dream car. I bought it used,(certified pre-owned), but it came with no warranty. The car drove great for a year and a half and around the summer of '09 I noticed several little changes in the performance of the vehicle. I brought the car to a VW garage and explained that I was having issues with the acceleration, as well as a ticking noise that came from under the hood while idling. The car was also making a loud whining noise as I accelerated and the engine thermostat light kept coming on. $6500 later and a new transmission, timing belt, water pump and tensioners, the car runs great. My only thought was, $6500, really? This is not a car for young people in college. Expensive!

The interior and exterior of the car is great. It definitely turns heads (even as a 5 year old car) as a drive down the street. VW has really mastered the concept of creature comfort details to the interior. The gas mileage is amazing with this car and holds its own against the newer hybrids.

I guess I'm still stumped as to why a car that is supposed to be the epitome of its model, with all the bugs worked out, at only 70k miles, needs to have such extensive work done. This car should have lasted over 100k (at least) before any of these problems became an issue. Shame on VW!