Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Jetta has it all....except reliability
By jxm461

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle brand new after previously owning a 97 Jetta. It was my first new car and I researched my purchase extensively. I really like the value of it while having a better look than similar cars in its class. I've owned it for 7 years now and as much as i want to say it's a great car, i simply cannot recommend it. I've come to realize that it's simply not a well build machine. The water pump went after 4.5 years b/c the impellers are made of plastic!. Fuel pump went, various recurring electrical problems and now my cd player went. It comes and goes so i figured i'd tough it out and now, the AM and FM stereo are going. Currently looking and will not be buying a VW :(

Fun to drive Comfortable - especially on long drives Good gas mileage Nice "look" to it Many features standard

Build a better car! Use better parts, fix the well documented electrical problems, and provide recalls for issues that are clearly manufacturer problems.

Jetta is Great! 70K miles and counting!
By Frank

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Jetta seems to be a love/hate car. It looks to me like a lot of people that had the 1.8T models had serious issues. Couldn't be happier with the 2.0 L GLS model. Only complaint is the water pump issue that VW has yet to recall. Common issue: the water pump fins melt off and cause head gasket failure. If you look around, this happens to everyone. Other than that, very few issues in 5 years. Great car for the money and fun to drive!

heated leather, stereo, looks, handling, fun to drive, MPG

address and pay for the water pump failures VW! (replacement part has been corrected) The MAF and O2 sensors also should be covered and seem to be a common issue.

I Miss the Good Ol' Days
By Ally

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Alright 2004 Jetta drivers... I see quite a bit of discrepancies in the reviews of this vehicle (or junker, lemon, superb car). Hmmm. Perhaps those of us who (ahem) drive the 2004 V-Dead/V-Dud received a similar factory model. Those rated this Jetta at 9 or 10; consider yourselves "the lucky ones." I owned a 1998 VW Wolfsburg Jetta prior to this 2004 lemon. I loved that 1998 with my heart and soul. Unfortunately I was rear ended and the car deemed "totaled." Now I am stuck with this. Wrought with problems between breaks, stalling, adjusters, recalls; heck I am getting a migraine thinking about it.

The radio/CD player. Man I love having a radio scanner on my steering wheel. Even better I receive more stations than any other vehicle owner. Furthermore the CD player reads virtually destroyed Compact Discs.

Don't get me started. VW should revamp the methods they use to construct cars... go back to the good ol' days of the nineties. Hey the cars were more eye-appealing and were of a higher quality.

my dream car
By 04JETTA

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has always been my dream car and now that I've had it for a little over 3 years i cannot be happier

the ease of use of all the controls

nothing really

Some issues, but I still love my Jetta!
By Michele

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Jetta brand new and have not looked back since! It's been the best car I've ever owned. There's nothing quite like quality german engineering! I have had some small issues though, the seat heaters had a recall, brake light switch had a recall, check engine light came on in the first 12,000 miles due to a faulty sensor, but overall I am very please. Most recently I had to take the car in for a broken link on the sway bar which was covered under warranty. Despite these issues I still love my Jetta!

My heated seats are the best! Nothing better than driving my Jetta in the middle of winter with my seat turned up to 5!! :)

Maintenance costs are quite a bit for this car if you go to an authorized VW dealer. I also haven't been very happy with the service departments at 3 different dealers across the United States. My experience is that Volkswagens needs to improve their service departments.