Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews - 218 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Extremely Fun To Drive
By MikeR

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this used with about 160k miles about two years ago as a gas saver / daily driver. I was honestly looking for a used Honda Civic / Acura Integra but against my better judgment and the fact that it is almost impossible to find a used (1999-2006) Honda Civic, Integra, RSX that hasn't been abused and molested, a couple VW enthusiast friends talked me into buying an Mk4 1.8t Jetta with a 5 speed manual Trans. It wasn't without distress, I've had German cars in the past and it has never been a good experience. But, with a lot of research and reading, browsing and talking I came to this conclusion: The 2004-2005 AWD 1.8 turbo with the 5/6 speed manual Trans. and a couple of the original equipment parts changed out makes for a Very Solid Vehicle! So.. After a couple of months searching for the perfect set up on a 04-05 GLS / GLI Jetta, I bought a 2004 GLS and went to work immediately. I changed; The Timing Belt, water pump (Metal turbines), cam sensor, fuel pump and filter, Vacuum lines, Coolant Flush with the correct Coolant fill... and lots more. And now, I have a very dependable, very reliable, fast and Extremely Fun to Drive Mk4. This is one car I think I will hold onto, Its rare that you find a car like this, one that you cant wait to get into... I used to own a 98 Integra GSR, I loved that car, I ended up selling it and buying a 02 Mercedes C230 kompressor (Complete Junk) that GSR was one of those cars and I regretted selling it from day one. But not this time, I will keep and drive this Jetta till the Wheels fall off.
Of course, there are those issues a lot of people write about on here, and it is absolutely true, the Arm rest is flimsy, Glove box latch is cheap, Window switches, Radio switches fall off, Head liner is cheap and will slowly fall But all of this is no more than a $20-$40 fix, nothing you cant find on ebay or amazon. It will have nothing to do with whether my car starts in the morning or if its going to drive off from the stop light.
This has been an Incredible Car for me.

Love this car.. BUT!
By Alexander Lester

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 04 Jetta gls 1.8t used with 92k miles on it.
Test driving the car was AWESOME! It was fast, steering was very responsive, and the leather interior and front seats were very comfy!
There is almost NO ROOM in the back seat.. good luck fitting anybody of above average height or weight back there.
The day after purchase I got my first CEL... Failed ignition coil. Immediately went back to the dealership where after a little haggling they replaced it for free.
Three days later, ANOTHER CEL!! ANOTHER IGNITION COIL.. After contacting the dealership again they told me the vehicle had an open recall on it's coils.. they replaced all four coils and threw in a car wash.. Now running like an absolute champ and I feel like a champ knowing the headaches are behind me.. for now!

If you are interested in this car, make sure it has been properly maintained and has had all of it's recalls taken care of. If it has.. BUY IT!!

Great First Car/Commuter
By kellymiller

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My parents got me my 2004 Jetta when I was 18. The the car got me through four years of college and is still going strong. Got it in 2010 with 48K miles, five years later it's at 140K and still going strong. I've had no mechanical problems with the car (aside from one that the dealer fixed) and with a 40 minute commute this was all I could ask for. The car was not perfect by any means (see below) but for a commuter looking for decent MPG, mechanical reliability, and a "cute" look, the Jetta is a great choice.

Comfy and easy to clean leather seats; mechanical reliability, solid build that ensures safety-The car is solid and handles very well especially compared to competitors like Mazda3 and Ford Focus that feel like a tin can when you close the door. In addition, it has no rust apart from some small spots on the hood. The paint still shines (mine is a metallic grey) like its brand new. Will be tough to part with this car but it's almost time!

As many others mentioned the interior is cheaply made and the transmission is laggy. Transmission problems seem to be "standard" in all VWs. Not responsive even when shifting from R to D and vise versa. At almost 140K I get virtually no response when I put the petal to the floor but what do you expect? Interior is junk and everything DOES fall apart (center console no longer stays closed, one speaker is broken and plastic covers cracked, headliner peeling off, etc). Also lots of quirky electrical problems affecting the interior lights + headlights. Hydraulics in trunk don't work.

Great little car, just don't do what I did.....
By cheeriosquirts

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car is 2007 with 30k miles on it, as of right now I am at 115k. I've been a bad VW owner and haven't done the scheduled maintenance like I should, in fact I haven't changed the plugs, timing belt or the pads. That being said with the abuse I have given it (which I suggest you don't do) this car has continued to run like a champ. I do have the oil changed regularly but other than that I have been lazy. Right now I have it in for all the scheduled maintenance that I have failed to do, not because it broke but rather I feel badly about not treating this car right. All you other folks that have had serious issues I'm sorry you didn't get my car, otherwise you would be very happy!

Leather Seats, Sunroof, Nice interior.

Little less interior rattles here and there, otherwise I love it.

Excellent car for what it is
By darksim905

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for a solid 10 years & have had minimal issues. After 10 years, every car will start falling apart & showing it's issues. That being said my ''major'' issues that I have had are below. The car runs great if you take care of it & maintain it. I'm not sure what everyone else does with their vehicle, but I love my Jetta & will buy another as a project car once I manage to run this into the ground. 110k miles & going strong.

* Radio is excellent & sounds great even from the day I purchased it * Constantly fun to drive - engine feels fast (enough though it probably isn't...) * Handling - Easy to maneuver in & out of traffic * Headlights are reliable, albeit prone to yellowing * Blue backlight on HUD is AWESOME

* Impeller in the water pump is plastic, it will fail. You will have to get it replaced in the first 40k miles depending on owner drives it. * STS & other vendors are aware of this & will replace it with correct HD parts if necessary. * Window may fall in the door, only had this happen on passenger side * Front bumper skirt too low * Prone to rust on driver side door hinge & hood latch * Plastic finish on the radio, steering wheel, etc will come off if you're too abrasive or use wrong cleaning product * Headlights prone to yellow tint, also plastic * "Sealed" transmission fluid/system?! :( * Horrible wind noise :( Stereo makes up for it though :)