2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I bought a second Jetta hoping it would be a better vehicle
By phreakymike on 09/03/13 12:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was under the assumption that these jettas were more reliable than a regular JDM car that had high KM. Problem with this thinking is, you don't think about the wear and tear on all the other parts OTHER than the Diesel engine. I've owned two TDI Jettas for approx 2 years each, both had P0401 Check Engine code for EGR Valve. This was incredibly annoying. I've also had the famous clicking dash from my turn signal, the car interior creaks and clicks, drove me absolutely insane. Incredible frusturating. 12 year perforation warranty is great, I received a new fender and trunk before I sold my jetta, These hold their value very well.. but I don't want to buy anymore of these TDIs

Long Term Happiness
By tdiguy3 on 08/16/13 20:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car new in 2004. In the 9.5 years I have owned this car it has bean, overall, fantastic. I have kept up regular service. The major problems I have had are: a sensor, front wheel bearing, rear wheel bearing, the heater blower motor, and a the heater resistors...replaced a few times. The heater repairs I did myself so cost was just the parts. Considering I have had this car this long and have almost 260k on it, this is small potatoes. Overall this has been the most reliable car I have owned. It was not built in Mexico but rather came out of the Wolfsburg plant and that is why, in my opinion it has been such a great car. I have had no engine or tranny probs at all.

VW Money Pit
By ghostrider8 on 05/30/12 16:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

VW was the vehicle that Hilter Commissioned to the designer of Posche to build. The original bugs were great reliable cars. VW has lost it's way in quality & dealer service.If you buy one,get ready to open your wallet & let the money fly at the service dept. The Corporate attitude is the same as the dealer of where customer service is beyond poor.All the VWs today are build in MEXICO & the lack of quality shows it.Yes,it will last as long as you keep replacing parts.The turn-over rate of the service dept. is high compared to other dealers,Ford & GM service & quality has went through the roof in improvement & GM now has Dodge/Chrysler where quality has improved.This will be my last VW.

VW Jetta TDI
By ghostrider8 on 10/03/11 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The VWs that were built in Germany,rather than in Mexico were much better quality.I have seen a decline in the overall quality & reliability, also the VW dealers like their cars service has declined.The Jetta TDI is a small compact car, it is a very safe car,but service on the engine can be very costly.Fuel Economy is excellent & I would recommend a Turbo Diesel anyday over a Hybrid.Diesels are proven engines that can take 300k-500k miles.The A/C does not cool very well & it takes a long time to heat in the cabin in cold weather.Technology is shared between the German Car Co.,which is good,they are safe,& reliable,but also be prepared they have high service cost.

Love the Car but Not perfect
By dlancaster on 05/22/11 19:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Fun to drive and love the fuel efficiency. Still get about 45 MPG and about 550 to 600 mi range. Suspected potential problems when I bought it so purchased extensive 100k warrantly and was money well spent. Was looking specifically for a high MPG desiel for business travel. Engine died about 40k due to main electrical panel, several O2 sensors, coolant getting into exhaust due to some gasket leaking. Check engine light has been on since 95k but not an issue as far as I know. All covered under warranty. So far no signficant problems after 100k. 125k on it now. Leaks (drips) a little bit of engine oil, armrest console latch broken but otherwise in great shape. Would take it anywhere!

Never buy a VW
By vwnightmare on 01/31/11 11:36 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I bought it used w 100K miles 18 months ago. One month after purchasing, the turbo diesel failed, with significant power loss. I have replaced the waterpump ($500), radiator ($500), brake switch ($180), alternator ($250), and now the transmission is badly going out. The interior is falling apart, the ceiling is hanging, the fabric on the doors is falling off, the glove compartment no longer latches, there are creeks and rattles all over the place. I am so disgusted by the poor quality and poor craftsmaship in vw's product. I used to have a toyota b4 this, it ran for 300K miles with out engine or transmission problems. Forget about buying a VW!

Great car... when it works
By Steve on 02/12/10 15:12 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

A very fun car to drive, with great mileage and design--but expensive and time consuming to maintain once it's out of warranty. We made the mistake of buying one at 80,000 miles. In the first 18 months we owned it, it was literally in the shop more often than not. Most of the problems weren't that major, but there were many, many problems and the parts were expensive (and VW sent wrong/broken parts every single time). In 2.5 years it depreciated about $7500 and we spent thousands in repairs, but only got to drive about 20,000 miles. Also, lots of buzzing/creaking inside the car, and exterior cosmetic parts fall off way too easily.

Pick something else, not VW
By Time to change on 02/09/10 11:10 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm a lifelong bug driver. My husband got a TDI Jetta wagon and it has been a nightmare. The engine gummed up, blamed on diesel fuel 1000, the front heated seat burned through the leather, the driver's window fell into the door, the leather wore very poorly, the back window has mysteriously broken 3 times with high deductible has been a fortune. It's like a Christmas tree with a light on all the time. Time to dump it and head to Honda. Truly sad, we like the styling but hey, it has to leave the driveway.

Fun to drive
By nappo on 12/05/09 05:17 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having gone over the years through Volvo, Mercedes, Oldsmobile, Toyota and many different models VW, from a 56 beetle to a Vanagon camper, I am back having fun driving in my 04 TDI. In spite of having the odd expense that needs fixing (are there any car's that do not??) this car is an absolute joy to be in. The seats (mine is the "Sport" edition)are firm and comfy, and the acceleration and general performance not to mention the excellent fuel economy are yet hard to beat in a combined package as it is. Great headroom too, in spite of the sun/moonroof. I just love it!

Ugh! Headache within 2 months!
By David on 09/07/09 20:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Truthfully do not waste your time with this car... I got this car used at 64k miles... Exterior and Interior was BEAUTIFUL. 2 weeks after I have the car my check engine light come on. Take it back to the dealership they check it... it's the AC temp gauge. They replace it... 2 days later the check engine light come on again. Take back to the dealership and they ask me to bring it back when I can use give up some time... later that day my dies. every dashboard light comes on and my ac and radio stops working... its been almost 2 weeks and the dealership can figure out what wrong with this car. I had a friend with a year older model and the same occurred with his car...