Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Nicknamed my battle tank.
By Scott

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my '04 Jetta TDI as a commuter car and to keep the miles off my F250. Purchased it with 136,000 off Craigslist from original owner who had documentation of all routine maintenance from dealership in Milwaukee. Since purchase I'm currently at 222,000 miles.

Since my purchase I've had some minor issues. Heater blower motor. Did the work myself with YouTube. Took a half hour and I believe $30. Front wheel bearing a few thousand miles ago. Awesome local mechanic did the bearing and full brake job and a pesty new thermostat for $400. Approx 500 miles ago I blew an intercooler hose connection putting the car into limp mode. I brought the car to Jim's Bug Center in Waukesha. For $250 he replaced the hose along with a few other worn hoses he located and a pulley bearing that would squeak when turning at slow speeds. The doozy was I opted for the dreaded timing belt replacement which was $750. Car drives almost as good as my wife's 2012 Jetta TDI still.
Needless to say I'm a happy TDI owner.

I bought a second Jetta hoping it would be a better vehicle
By phreakymike

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was under the assumption that these jettas were more reliable than a regular JDM car that had high KM. Problem with this thinking is, you don't think about the wear and tear on all the other parts OTHER than the Diesel engine.

I've owned two TDI Jettas for approx 2 years each, both had P0401 Check Engine code for EGR Valve. This was incredibly annoying. I've also had the famous clicking dash from my turn signal, the car interior creaks and clicks, drove me absolutely insane. Incredible frusturating. 12 year perforation warranty is great, I received a new fender and trunk before I sold my jetta, These hold their value very well.. but I don't want to buy anymore of these TDIs

Nice interior for the age, very good German quality feel. Key fob is not two piece and flips out nicely. Amazing mileage per tank, hold retail value very well, even with a lot of KM on the engine. PLENTY of repair how-to's on the MK4 models (99-05).

More leg room in the rear. I'm not all tall person but I would always have to move my seat up to accommodate rear passengers. Remove EGR valve or make it accessible! This was the #1 issue for my CELs...

Long Term Happiness
By tdiguy3

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought this car new in 2004.
In the 9.5 years I have owned this car it has bean, overall, fantastic.
I have kept up regular service.
The major problems I have had are: a sensor, front wheel bearing, rear wheel bearing, the heater blower motor, and a the heater resistors...replaced a few times.
The heater repairs I did myself so cost was just the parts.
Considering I have had this car this long and have almost 260k on it, this is small potatoes.
Overall this has been the most reliable car I have owned.
It was not built in Mexico but rather came out of the Wolfsburg plant and that is why, in my opinion it has been such a great car.
I have had no engine or tranny probs at all.

I love the fantastic mileage I get with this car. Best heated seats...better than my 2011 Subaru Outback!!

VW Money Pit
By ghostrider8

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

VW was the vehicle that Hilter Commissioned to the designer of Posche to build. The original bugs were great reliable cars. VW has lost it's way in quality & dealer service.If you buy one,get ready to open your wallet & let the money fly at the service dept. The Corporate attitude is the same as the dealer of where customer service is beyond poor.All the VWs today are build in MEXICO & the lack of quality shows it.Yes,it will last as long as you keep replacing parts.The turn-over rate of the service dept. is high compared to other dealers,Ford & GM service & quality has went through the roof in improvement & GM now has Dodge/Chrysler where quality has improved.This will be my last VW.

Uhh...besides going broke trying to keep it running, probably the safety. The vehicle is a safe a car. The Insturment Cluster Blue & Red colors with brushed metal are cool.

Very poor A/C & Heating, Very cheaply made plastic interior, extremely expensive to service. Way to small, a very uncomptfortable interior.Head lamps cheap plastic fully hazed over,light bulbs continue to go out in headlight & brake lights, 90% of the car is plastic from the interior, exterior to under the hood. The reviews from owners on the 2011 & 2012 models have been even a worse decline in quality. BUT EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE TO SERVICE, VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM DEALERS TO CORPORATE.

VW Jetta TDI
By ghostrider8

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

The VWs that were built in Germany,rather than in Mexico were much better quality.I have seen a decline in the overall quality & reliability, also the VW dealers like their cars service has declined.The Jetta TDI is a small compact car, it is a very safe car,but service on the engine can be very costly.Fuel Economy is excellent & I would recommend a Turbo Diesel anyday over a Hybrid.Diesels are proven engines that can take 300k-500k miles.The A/C does not cool very well & it takes a long time to heat in the cabin in cold weather.Technology is shared between the German Car Co.,which is good,they are safe,& reliable,but also be prepared they have high service cost.

The Blue & Red Floating Insturment Cluste & chrome gear shift with tip-tronic transmission allowing to swithc from automatic to manual. The back-up manual crank for the sunroof.The great fuel economy of the Turbo Diesel Engine, great Monsoon Stereo, high saftey rating & do hold their value.

Better A/C in front dash & a rear A/C climate control, more seating cabin space, build them in Germany to ensure better quality,use less plastic,heated seats need to be standard, seat adjustment controls need to be more user friendly.Switch from a timing belt to a timing chain.Better service at all dealers & a longer warranty. Make head light replacement easier instead of having to remove other parts including the battery, just to get to the bulb.These cars will last, but be prepared for high service cost for regualr service & any repairs, nice to drive, but expensive to own.