2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
All around awesome.
By illimk4 on 07/19/11 01:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When going for a different vehicle I was searching for something stock turbocharged that had potential as far as tuning goes. Originally I set out to find an srt-4 but found a 1.8T GLI first. I'm glad I decided to purchase that instead. The car is fun to drive and fairly quick stock, but with apr stage 1 software It definitely kicks it up a notch. I love my VW and I doubt I will ever drive anything else. They are well built and very reliable. The only downfall is VW vehicles are expensive to maintain. Other than that the car is well worth what I paid for it.

I'll Only Buy VW
By luckylindy03 on 10/28/09 12:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

this is the second jetta i have owned and i have to say that it is by far the best one. I read the bad reviews and the good reviews and it seems like there are a fair amount of lemons out there. Thank GOD i didn't get one, but i have to say that you really can't beat German Engineering. I will never buy another car that isn't a VW. Everything about the car is a blast. The exterior of the car is great and i get looks everywhere i go. The interior is great too with the brushed aluminum and recaro seats (which can get a little weary after a long trip).

This Car SUCKS
By myjettasucks on 01/07/09 18:53 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for only 9 months and I am already getting rid of it. Jetta's may look cool, but reliability sucks. Since having it I have put nearly $7,000 in repairs. It will run great for a couple of months and then I will have a major problems (i.e. clutch, MAF sensor, ignition coils, MAF again, O2 sensors (yes plural), alternator, and master cylinder to name a few. Displeased doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this car. I am trading it and sticking with a Toyota or Honda.

Can't Stop Redlining!
By JT on 08/09/06 12:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had the car for a year. I have had only one problem, the front rotors were replaced (wrapped). Thats it. I have had no electrical problems at all. I do have ratles in the doors though. This car is fun to drive and really holds on the turns. Also, this car's ECU can be reprogrammed to increase the HP. So if your looking for more HP for cheap.. it can be done. Doing this completly changes the car. It's still a beautiful car even today.

Get a good one!
By Mike P on 05/30/06 15:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned a Jetta for 3 years, first I owned a 2003 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta. I recently upgraded to a 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T and loved them both. The old one was a nice car and very reliable, but the new one is unbelievable. I recommend you don't waste your money on a cheap Volkswagen and make sure to get one that is high quality.

Teutonic friend of mine
By David L on 08/09/05 05:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2004.5 Volkswagen Jetta GLI has been flawless. The personality and charm is understated. The build quality and engineering has been well thought out, and my MPG has been 20% better than expected (22-30). I love the the upgrades that they offered on the 2004.5 GLI. Thanks VW.

Fun Car, Good Price, Some Flaws
By William on 05/12/05 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Jetta GLI is a very attractive car with a number of very unique features unavailable to most cars in the same price range - the recaro seats, sound system, 6-speed transmission and interior detailing are all a cut above what you would expect, but do tack on a couple thousand to a comparable GLS's purchase price. The car drives very well, has a very responsive transmission, tight and well balanced brakes and a very typically German feel in tight high-speed turning maneuvers. That said, our car required three trips to the dealership for loud, high-pitched squealing in the rear brakes and the front ground effects are extremely fragile. A thread tear in the recaro seating had to be fixed too.

Driver Found
By NTHUZIS on 11/16/04 14:35 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Settled on a new '92 Jetta GL because I was young and couldn't afford the insurance on a GLI.I'm twelve years older and VW felt my plight and made the GLI that I always wanted.What a car.Driving is fun again.Love the European styling,classy upgrades,and grin quotient.I feel 21 again.Traded in a '96 Impala SS for it.Enough said.

GLI 1.8T
By Edgar Bravo on 11/06/04 12:28 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I used to be a proud Honda owner until I feasted my eyes on this piece of German engineering. Absolutely beautiful to look at, my GLI is extremely comfortable and fun to drive. Its interior design is like no other car I had previously experienced; it's a drfferent kind of "sturdy" quality. The way the car is built is similar only to other German automobiles like BMW or Audi. I'm sold on Volkswagen quality and I definetely recommend everyone test drive one. You'll love it!

NOT YOUR AVERAGE JETTA
By belly232 on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Driving is fun again. I previously owned an mk2 Jetta GLI with its recaro style seats stiffer suspension, 16" wheels and red pinstripe. This car takes it to another level with its great (and tunable) 1.8t engine, 18" BBS wheels, and 6 speed trannie. The interior and exterior styling are an added plus (red brake calipers-whoa!!). With the sport tuned suspension, i feel like im on rails going around corners (GREAT!!!!). For $22000, this car offers a great platform for a person to add his or her own upgrades. In my opinion it beats out many cars in its category