Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I bought a second Jetta hoping it would be a better vehicle
By phreakymike

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was under the assumption that these jettas were more reliable than a regular JDM car that had high KM. Problem with this thinking is, you don't think about the wear and tear on all the other parts OTHER than the Diesel engine. I've owned two TDI Jettas for approx 2 years each, both had P0401 Check Engine code for EGR Valve. This was incredibly annoying. I've also had the famous clicking dash from my turn signal, the car interior creaks and clicks, drove me absolutely insane. Incredible frusturating. 12 year perforation warranty is great, I received a new fender and trunk before I sold my jetta, These hold their value very well.. but I don't want to buy anymore of these TDIs

Favorite Features

Nice interior for the age, very good German quality feel. Key fob is not two piece and flips out nicely. Amazing mileage per tank, hold retail value very well, even with a lot of KM on the engine. PLENTY of repair how-to's on the MK4 models (99-05).

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the rear. I'm not all tall person but I would always have to move my seat up to accommodate rear passengers. Remove EGR valve or make it accessible! This was the #1 issue for my CELs...

Love the Car but Not perfect
By dlancaster

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Fun to drive and love the fuel efficiency. Still get about 45 MPG and about 550 to 600 mi range. Suspected potential problems when I bought it so purchased extensive 100k warrantly and was money well spent. Was looking specifically for a high MPG desiel for business travel. Engine died about 40k due to main electrical panel, several O2 sensors, coolant getting into exhaust due to some gasket leaking. Check engine light has been on since 95k but not an issue as far as I know. All covered under warranty. So far no signficant problems after 100k. 125k on it now. Leaks (drips) a little bit of engine oil, armrest console latch broken but otherwise in great shape. Would take it anywhere!

Favorite Features

Quick responsive engine, five speed shifts very well still, excellent sound system. Sunroof is exellent. All elec windows and door latches still work very well. No brake problems yet. Back seats all lay down for good storage.

Suggested Improvements

Some hardware is marginal - plasticky if you will. Small leak in sun roof prob due to stopped up drain. Marginal room/foot room in back seat. That darned check engine light just will not stay off.

Great car... when it works
By Steve

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

A very fun car to drive, with great mileage and design--but expensive and time consuming to maintain once it's out of warranty. We made the mistake of buying one at 80,000 miles. In the first 18 months we owned it, it was literally in the shop more often than not. Most of the problems weren't that major, but there were many, many problems and the parts were expensive (and VW sent wrong/broken parts every single time). In 2.5 years it depreciated about $7500 and we spent thousands in repairs, but only got to drive about 20,000 miles. Also, lots of buzzing/creaking inside the car, and exterior cosmetic parts fall off way too easily.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency; handling & performance; great looks (interior and exterior); full spare and plenty of trunk room

Suggested Improvements

VW: Build it to last, hire some competent people in your parts department, and don't charge an arm and a leg for everything. Also, the back seats are practically useless.

Pick something else, not VW
By Time to change

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm a lifelong bug driver. My husband got a TDI Jetta wagon and it has been a nightmare. The engine gummed up, blamed on diesel fuel 1000, the front heated seat burned through the leather, the driver's window fell into the door, the leather wore very poorly, the back window has mysteriously broken 3 times with high deductible has been a fortune. It's like a Christmas tree with a light on all the time. Time to dump it and head to Honda. Truly sad, we like the styling but hey, it has to leave the driveway.

Favorite Features

Love the looks, and the great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Needs reliability, needs quality interior components. They look good but don't last. They need to back a real lemon.

Fun to drive
By nappo

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having gone over the years through Volvo, Mercedes, Oldsmobile, Toyota and many different models VW, from a 56 beetle to a Vanagon camper, I am back having fun driving in my 04 TDI. In spite of having the odd expense that needs fixing (are there any car's that do not??) this car is an absolute joy to be in. The seats (mine is the "Sport" edition)are firm and comfy, and the acceleration and general performance not to mention the excellent fuel economy are yet hard to beat in a combined package as it is. Great headroom too, in spite of the sun/moonroof. I just love it!

Favorite Features

Great shifting gearbox, quickly heating seats, performance, fuel economy, great all-round visibility, electric and heated mirrors, muffled sound signal when using the keys to lock the car, rather then the loud annoying horn on many cars when doing this at night.

Suggested Improvements

Better access to the arm rest storage as it gets in the way of the emergency brake, (has been improved on newer models already), maybe wider more useful protection mouldings along the doors to protect from careless nicks and bangs from other driver doors in parking lots.