2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I bought a second Jetta hoping it would be a better vehicle
By phreakymike on 09/03/13 12:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was under the assumption that these jettas were more reliable than a regular JDM car that had high KM. Problem with this thinking is, you don't think about the wear and tear on all the other parts OTHER than the Diesel engine. I've owned two TDI Jettas for approx 2 years each, both had P0401 Check Engine code for EGR Valve. This was incredibly annoying. I've also had the famous clicking dash from my turn signal, the car interior creaks and clicks, drove me absolutely insane. Incredible frusturating. 12 year perforation warranty is great, I received a new fender and trunk before I sold my jetta, These hold their value very well.. but I don't want to buy anymore of these TDIs

Love the Car but Not perfect
By dlancaster on 05/22/11 19:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Fun to drive and love the fuel efficiency. Still get about 45 MPG and about 550 to 600 mi range. Suspected potential problems when I bought it so purchased extensive 100k warrantly and was money well spent. Was looking specifically for a high MPG desiel for business travel. Engine died about 40k due to main electrical panel, several O2 sensors, coolant getting into exhaust due to some gasket leaking. Check engine light has been on since 95k but not an issue as far as I know. All covered under warranty. So far no signficant problems after 100k. 125k on it now. Leaks (drips) a little bit of engine oil, armrest console latch broken but otherwise in great shape. Would take it anywhere!

Great car... when it works
By Steve on 02/12/10 15:12 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

A very fun car to drive, with great mileage and design--but expensive and time consuming to maintain once it's out of warranty. We made the mistake of buying one at 80,000 miles. In the first 18 months we owned it, it was literally in the shop more often than not. Most of the problems weren't that major, but there were many, many problems and the parts were expensive (and VW sent wrong/broken parts every single time). In 2.5 years it depreciated about $7500 and we spent thousands in repairs, but only got to drive about 20,000 miles. Also, lots of buzzing/creaking inside the car, and exterior cosmetic parts fall off way too easily.

Pick something else, not VW
By Time to change on 02/09/10 11:10 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm a lifelong bug driver. My husband got a TDI Jetta wagon and it has been a nightmare. The engine gummed up, blamed on diesel fuel 1000, the front heated seat burned through the leather, the driver's window fell into the door, the leather wore very poorly, the back window has mysteriously broken 3 times with high deductible has been a fortune. It's like a Christmas tree with a light on all the time. Time to dump it and head to Honda. Truly sad, we like the styling but hey, it has to leave the driveway.

Fun to drive
By nappo on 12/05/09 05:17 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having gone over the years through Volvo, Mercedes, Oldsmobile, Toyota and many different models VW, from a 56 beetle to a Vanagon camper, I am back having fun driving in my 04 TDI. In spite of having the odd expense that needs fixing (are there any car's that do not??) this car is an absolute joy to be in. The seats (mine is the "Sport" edition)are firm and comfy, and the acceleration and general performance not to mention the excellent fuel economy are yet hard to beat in a combined package as it is. Great headroom too, in spite of the sun/moonroof. I just love it!

Ugh! Headache within 2 months!
By David on 09/07/09 20:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Truthfully do not waste your time with this car... I got this car used at 64k miles... Exterior and Interior was BEAUTIFUL. 2 weeks after I have the car my check engine light come on. Take it back to the dealership they check it... it's the AC temp gauge. They replace it... 2 days later the check engine light come on again. Take back to the dealership and they ask me to bring it back when I can use give up some time... later that day my dies. every dashboard light comes on and my ac and radio stops working... its been almost 2 weeks and the dealership can figure out what wrong with this car. I had a friend with a year older model and the same occurred with his car...

Nice way to enter the driving world :)
By VWfan93 on 06/04/09 22:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I'm a sixteen year old, and recently got my Volkswagen jetta, tdi, wolfsberg edition. This car is soooo Nice, I love it. The handling, the power, the diesel, the seats, everything! You name it my car, has it. I have loved this cars sense they came out and I'm so glad I got one. Sure, it has it's down falls. One being when I slow down the steering gets harder. But, as I go faster it's sooo easy, which is better :). I love the diesel engine getting about 45-50, I'm pretty happy. I could not ask for a better car, can't wait for 200k :)

Buy a Jetta!
By Maxwell on 07/02/08 07:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I already owned a 98 Jetta and an 83 Rabbit, so I bought this car for my wife who always wanted one. She said it was love at first site. I cannot get her to shut up about how much she loves the car. She is always bragging about her fuel economy and how the car will run forever (which it will). She said she is going to drive it until the wheels fall off. We got our car with 25,000 miles on it and now have 40,000. We have not had any problems what so ever. I would suggest changing the oil your self to save some money. You can buy entire oil change kits (filter, oil, o- rings and drain plug) for $50 including shipped.

Best Car!!!
By MDJettaOwner on 11/21/07 08:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I just traded in my 2004 Jetta GLS TDI. This was a great car. I have no complaints. I just wish the interior was a little more upgraded. I am sad to see her go.

Fun Car
By richmond20657 on 12/12/06 22:00 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The pros of my 2007 Jetta GLS TDI include excellent fuel mileage, reliability, and excellent handling for its size. The cons are VW's terrible dealer service and a few rattles here and there.