Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Best Buy!!
By avidfan4

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My husband and I traded in a 1996 Honda Accord for this car and I cannot think of a single complaint. It has a very smooth ride, gets excellent gas millage, and ours has so many wonderful features. We haven't had to any maintenance besides oil changes. It's braking system can handle the slippery winter roads like a pro. It handles extremely well, I would be completely comfortable racing this car in a NASCAR setting. VW's are worth the money you spend for them, I don't think I will be getting another car until my kids go to college...and I don't even have kids yet!

Heated leather seats, ABS, six disc Monsoon sound system, defrost on sideview mirrors, simply fun car

I don't like my tinted windows. But I think that was a home job.

Costly
By John

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased the car with 13,000 miles. In March 05' At the 50,000 guess what changed the water pump,temp gauge and did the timing belt. Very costly. April 08'at 75,000 miles the check engine light came on. The dealership found 2 faulty spark plug wires and the coils were gone.October 08' at 80,000 miles another timing belt, the water pump wasn't working and had two leaks. November 18, 2008 the EPC light came on. The dealership found 3 codes that could of triggered the EPC. The dealership reset the codes cost $97.00. Now November 19, 2008 the EPC light came back on!. Since I had the car this list is totals about $2,500.00 My wife has a 02' passat same problems. Her EPC light at 85,000 miles.

Peppy, quick car.

04' bad year for the VW's.

transmission broken
By w seferovic

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

1st needed to replace exhaust recycle unit 2 and the 5 speed manual transmission ripped itself apart at 90k miles cost over to $4000 repair

over 40 mpg

better transmission

Low miles, higher maintenance
By eckert16

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Drove it cross country a week after purchase. Noticed excessive wind noise from front door seals. Dealership at destination changed seals, but no improvement in wind noise reduction. Less than 10K miles, and engine rotation sensor broke, again at 13k, again at 18k. Repeated issue till 22k. AC never was NEVER cool as is should be, charged AC, still not cold. AC expansion valve went bad and replaced it at 23k. AC still not cold as it should be. 24k the main AC coolant fan had to be replaced. AC still not cold Both front shocks collapsed at 24k, and needed replacing. Alternator pulley froze up at 24.5k and needed replacing. 25.5k and the engine temperature sensor went bad. It needed replacing.

Mileage is great, just what was expected and main reason for the diesel purchase.

Center arm rest console needed, AC never cold enough no matter the latitude. Provide extended warranty option after purchase has closed, say two-three years after purchase. After 4 years, and only 25k miles it feels like the car is starting to fall apart with all the trips to the dealer.

Great Car!
By Helen

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

As the owner of a pre-turbo 1986 VW diesel I was certain of the car I wanted. I found it online, bought it and test drove it on the way home. The two big tests came when I approached the 45 mph S turns and the long, steep hill I travel frequently. My older diesel struggled to crest the hill at 50 mph after down shifting. The TDI sailed through the S turns at 65 mph and easily maintained 65 up the hill in 5th gear using cruise control. The power, handling through curves, and smooth transmission have made driving a fun experience. VW also seems to have improved the interior plastic parts problems. I hope I can get 18 trouble free years from the TDI just as I did from the '86.

The good fuel economy (48 mpg every time I check); plenty of power; handling stability; quiet diesel engine; smooth transmission; interior look and convenience; plenty of trunk space; and fold down back seats.

It needs more leg room in back seat snd less expensive oil (though only having to change it every 10,000 miles makes up for the expense per quart).