2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Best Buy!!
By avidfan4 on 08/11/09 21:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My husband and I traded in a 1996 Honda Accord for this car and I cannot think of a single complaint. It has a very smooth ride, gets excellent gas millage, and ours has so many wonderful features. We haven't had to any maintenance besides oil changes. It's braking system can handle the slippery winter roads like a pro. It handles extremely well, I would be completely comfortable racing this car in a NASCAR setting. VW's are worth the money you spend for them, I don't think I will be getting another car until my kids go to college...and I don't even have kids yet!

Costly
By John on 11/20/08 17:40 PM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I purchased the car with 13,000 miles. In March 05' At the 50,000 guess what changed the water pump,temp gauge and did the timing belt. Very costly. April 08'at 75,000 miles the check engine light came on. The dealership found 2 faulty spark plug wires and the coils were gone.October 08' at 80,000 miles another timing belt, the water pump wasn't working and had two leaks. November 18, 2008 the EPC light came on. The dealership found 3 codes that could of triggered the EPC. The dealership reset the codes cost $97.00. Now November 19, 2008 the EPC light came back on!. Since I had the car this list is totals about $2,500.00 My wife has a 02' passat same problems. Her EPC light at 85,000 miles.

transmission broken
By w seferovic on 09/04/08 06:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

1st needed to replace exhaust recycle unit 2 and the 5 speed manual transmission ripped itself apart at 90k miles cost over to $4000 repair

Low miles, higher maintenance
By eckert16 on 05/11/08 06:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Drove it cross country a week after purchase. Noticed excessive wind noise from front door seals. Dealership at destination changed seals, but no improvement in wind noise reduction. Less than 10K miles, and engine rotation sensor broke, again at 13k, again at 18k. Repeated issue till 22k. AC never was NEVER cool as is should be, charged AC, still not cold. AC expansion valve went bad and replaced it at 23k. AC still not cold as it should be. 24k the main AC coolant fan had to be replaced. AC still not cold Both front shocks collapsed at 24k, and needed replacing. Alternator pulley froze up at 24.5k and needed replacing. 25.5k and the engine temperature sensor went bad. It needed replacing.

Great Car!
By Helen on 02/26/07 09:37 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

As the owner of a pre-turbo 1986 VW diesel I was certain of the car I wanted. I found it online, bought it and test drove it on the way home. The two big tests came when I approached the 45 mph S turns and the long, steep hill I travel frequently. My older diesel struggled to crest the hill at 50 mph after down shifting. The TDI sailed through the S turns at 65 mph and easily maintained 65 up the hill in 5th gear using cruise control. The power, handling through curves, and smooth transmission have made driving a fun experience. VW also seems to have improved the interior plastic parts problems. I hope I can get 18 trouble free years from the TDI just as I did from the '86.

Poor fuel milage
By Bobbie Holland on 04/23/06 10:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We purchased our VW and are very disappointed in the gas milage. The sales sticker on the vehicle stated that it would get 47 mpg highway and 41 city. We only get 34 mpg highway. We have had it to checked three times and they can't seem to find the problem. It seems there are other people that have similiar problems with this make of VW.

Love my Diesel Jetta
By Dan on 01/02/05 08:23 AM (PST)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Well, no matter the fuel costs, $1.59/gal(june04) or $2.09/gal(12/04), I get the advertised 38mpg city, but set at cruise, 65mph Hwy, I get 52 mpg. The overall comfort is very good, but the front seat shoulders should curve in more as being 5'-4" I don't get full effect of seat comfort. Interior controls are very easy to use w/o affecting driving, rear seat leg room cramped a bit, but manageable. I sometimes get "creaking" noise in doors, but I WD40 the hinges and that stops. LOVE the interior control lighting. It's fun to drive all the time. I look forward to driving it. Handles all curves excellent, even at 45 mph.

exspensive upkeep
By chris_ on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I had a tdi 4 door and Demontrond dealer in houston was horrible on maintenance. Went in for a $55 dollar oil change and they stripped the drain plug and charged me $75 dollars to fix? Needless to say I no longer own a jetta and never will again. Check with dealer to see what cost are for common repairs and you will probably go with a honda or toyota if your smart.

Economy car with luxury maintenance cost
By Keiller on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

How does $10/liter for oil sound? That's what my dealer tried to sell it to me for. I went online and bought it for $6.40/Liter. How does $34/liter for transmission fluid sound? That's what my dealer wants. Again, I went online and found it for half that (which is still outrageous!). I wanted fuel efficiency and that's why I bought the Jetta TDI, but it's an expensive car to operate. Buy a Honda...I wish I had.

I'm now a believer!
By Popster on 08/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this car as a hedge against another gas crisis.I drove it sparingly but my wife was a Jetta convert after driving it for a month.I poured my 6'4 frame into this little diesel and now I rarely drive my other cars.This is the little diesel that could! It is a small car with a big ride and heart.I am currently shopping the Toureg but find the $65000 list too steep..VW has made me a believer.I would rate the Jetta TDI as one of the best cars I have ever owned.A tiny ,tiny bit noisy at idle but with quality like this and45-50 mpg who cares?....popster