Used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Love this car.. BUT!
By Alexander Lester

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my 04 Jetta gls 1.8t used with 92k miles on it. Test driving the car was AWESOME! It was fast, steering was very responsive, and the leather interior and front seats were very comfy! There is almost NO ROOM in the back seat.. good luck fitting anybody of above average height or weight back there. The day after purchase I got my first CEL... Failed ignition coil. Immediately went back to the dealership where after a little haggling they replaced it for free. Three days later, ANOTHER CEL!! ANOTHER IGNITION COIL.. After contacting the dealership again they told me the vehicle had an open recall on it's coils.. they replaced all four coils and threw in a car wash.. Now running like an absolute champ and I feel like a champ knowing the headaches are behind me.. for now! If you are interested in this car, make sure it has been properly maintained and has had all of it's recalls taken care of. If it has.. BUY IT!!

Nicknamed my battle tank.
By Scott

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I bought my '04 Jetta TDI as a commuter car and to keep the miles off my F250. Purchased it with 136,000 off Craigslist from original owner who had documentation of all routine maintenance from dealership in Milwaukee. Since purchase I'm currently at 222,000 miles. Since my purchase I've had some minor issues. Heater blower motor. Did the work myself with YouTube. Took a half hour and I believe $30. Front wheel bearing a few thousand miles ago. Awesome local mechanic did the bearing and full brake job and a pesty new thermostat for $400. Approx 500 miles ago I blew an intercooler hose connection putting the car into limp mode. I brought the car to Jim's Bug Center in Waukesha. For $250 he replaced the hose along with a few other worn hoses he located and a pulley bearing that would squeak when turning at slow speeds. The doozy was I opted for the dreaded timing belt replacement which was $750. Car drives almost as good as my wife's 2012 Jetta TDI still. Needless to say I'm a happy TDI owner.

Great First Car/Commuter
By kellymiller

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My parents got me my 2004 Jetta when I was 18. The the car got me through four years of college and is still going strong. Got it in 2010 with 48K miles, five years later it's at 140K and still going strong. I've had no mechanical problems with the car (aside from one that the dealer fixed) and with a 40 minute commute this was all I could ask for. The car was not perfect by any means (see below) but for a commuter looking for decent MPG, mechanical reliability, and a "cute" look, the Jetta is a great choice.

Comfy and easy to clean leather seats; mechanical reliability, solid build that ensures safety-The car is solid and handles very well especially compared to competitors like Mazda3 and Ford Focus that feel like a tin can when you close the door. In addition, it has no rust apart from some small spots on the hood. The paint still shines (mine is a metallic grey) like its brand new. Will be tough to part with this car but it's almost time!

As many others mentioned the interior is cheaply made and the transmission is laggy. Transmission problems seem to be "standard" in all VWs. Not responsive even when shifting from R to D and vise versa. At almost 140K I get virtually no response when I put the petal to the floor but what do you expect? Interior is junk and everything DOES fall apart (center console no longer stays closed, one speaker is broken and plastic covers cracked, headliner peeling off, etc). Also lots of quirky electrical problems affecting the interior lights + headlights. Hydraulics in trunk don't work.

Best Car I've ever owned
By vgpr

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Been a JDM enthusiast all my life Been in the Automotive repair business 20 years. Then VW won me over I bought this car used with 78k miles on it. Today it has 200k. Its been a commuter vehicle for over 6 years the wtr pmp/belt done at 100k was replaced. Their weakness. The gear was plastic. Replaced with metal one. Besides that its been normal maintenance. Best front wheel drive in the snow up in the Cascades. Best A/C down in Tx where it is now. Grips the road better than my Benz C230 at a quarter of the Price and is the quietest car I've owned even today its quieter than my other newer cars. I just gave the car to my Sis and its still going strong. If find clean then get it...

Quietest ride of most cars I've ever been in. Wind noise is non existent... Feels very sturdy and sticks to the road.

Interior Trim buttons fade. And the plastic pieces get worn easily.

Great little car, just don't do what I did.....
By cheeriosquirts

2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car is 2007 with 30k miles on it, as of right now I am at 115k. I've been a bad VW owner and haven't done the scheduled maintenance like I should, in fact I haven't changed the plugs, timing belt or the pads. That being said with the abuse I have given it (which I suggest you don't do) this car has continued to run like a champ. I do have the oil changed regularly but other than that I have been lazy. Right now I have it in for all the scheduled maintenance that I have failed to do, not because it broke but rather I feel badly about not treating this car right. All you other folks that have had serious issues I'm sorry you didn't get my car, otherwise you would be very happy!

Leather Seats, Sunroof, Nice interior.

Little less interior rattles here and there, otherwise I love it.

• SUV