2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Excellent, Fast, Reliable, Loo

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS 1.8T Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Excellent, Fast, Reliable, Looks Great
By bryans on

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As you can see, I have an 03 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic 5-speed I bought with 28k...now has 91k 2.5 years later. I've owned four late model Cadillacs (two DeVilles and two Eldorados). I was so disappointed in the Northstar V8 and the very cheap interior in all of them that I decided I would buy imported only now on. Boy, am I glad I did!!! First of all, the 1.8T is strong, reliable, FAST, and easy to work on and upgrade. The interior is sleek and leather is high quality and durable. Monsoon audio is awesome, but better with a subwoofer. The exterior is very sexy and stylish. The 17" wheels are great, especially with a good set of Z- rated performance tires. Too many good things to list.....

The 1.8T is awesome!!! It's fast stock, but can be upgraded to limitless power numbers with all of the quality aftermarket parts available. With just an ECU reflash from a good tuning company (APR, GIAC, Revo, etc.) the 1.8T jumps another 40- 50hp and 75-100lb/ft torque. How can you complain?

The major complaint I have about this car is the auto/tip transmission. Common problems are bad solenoids, valve bodies, TCU, and a $6700 price. My TIP has held up good so far, though. Stock coil packs are bad and need the revised ones. Minor electrical things (bad blinker switch, LED's on spoiler)

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By mastora
on 05/18/13 18:50 PM (PDT)

Hi Bryans, Thanks alot for all the info.. I have the exact same ride and i'm having hard shifting issues, i really hope it does not need a transmission. Any ideas of what i should do first before getting into the transmission.?