2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: My TDI Wagon sips gas and zips

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GLS TDI Wagon (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Manual)

My TDI Wagon sips gas and zips along
By balttdi on

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have had my car for about three weeks and have been delighted. With the manual, it has plenty of pep and is fun to drive. The mileage is awesome with the diesel, and this makes a big difference with fuel costs being so high now. The handling is great, and the ride is firm without being jarring. After eight years is a cushy and mushy Taurus, this car brings back the fun I had in my very first car, which was a stick shift Accord. The Jetta is also quite solid and can very quietly exceed the speed limit. 80 does not feel much different than 50. For utility, fun, and efficiency it is tough to beat this car.

I love the crisp handling. Twisty roads are fun again. The mileage is great, and the engine has plenty of pick-up, especially if you shift right. The monsoon sound system is a great option. I can feel the bass.

This car is quite good as is. The cupholder problem seems to have been solved. VW should bring over the diesel Passat again.