Excellent all around car
By Cliff Hunt on
2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)
This is my first new generation VW diesel. I have driven them in Europe, and decided to buy one in 12/02. I had to have the wagon since it is made in Germany and the sedan is Mexican. I drive about 100 mi/day commuting, and need the mileage. Despite what one of the other reviewers said, this car has been FAR more reliable than MY 88 VW. I sold my 88 VW w/ 135k on it, and it was good. This car has NEVER been in the shop for anything. DO use the DELVAC 1 oil. Insist that your dealer does if you have to take it to them. The oil costs more, but it truly is worth it. I get 42-52mpg, more in summer, less in winter. Car is NOT slow (have been > 110mph)
Favorite Features
Favorite features are the MPG, the 4 cupholders (later 03s did not have the radio mounted cupholders, they were console mounted), incredible storage in the rear, very stable car, looks good, and VERY RELIABLE!!!!!!! (also 8 airbags ,spend teh extra $ for ESP-very good, and 100k timing belt)
Suggested Improvements
Add about 6 inches more leg room combined between front and read occupants. When the rear seat is folded down, I cannot move front seat back far enough, leading to discomfort. The Monsoon is not worth the extra $, the reg radio is just as good, but with fewer speakers.